Jagdpanther "314" in Normandy - 1/35 Meng

Hi All,

After building quite a few aircraft, I've got back into armour, so here is my build of the Meng G1 Jagdpanther. I had originally started this in 2019, but I didn't have a plan on what to do with it, so it went back in the box, partially assembled for almost a year. After getting Panzerwrecks Normandy 2 & 3, I realised they had excellent pictures of Jagdpanther "314", which was also in the Meng kit. So I removed the already fitted mantlet, ordered the Monroe Perdu Zimmerit set, and set to work building 314.

Rather than depict it knocked out as in the books, I opted to build it as it might have appeared a little prior to that with the crew at rest in a war torn Norman town awaiting the next encounter - I'll add a link to the WIP diorama topic when I start it. Aside from the MP laser cut paper zimmerit, I added Fruil tracks, Karaya tow cables, T-rex studios empty clamps, an Aber MG34 barrel and Milliput tarps. The base colours are from MRP, and the weathering has been done with oils, enamel washes, pigments, water colour pencils and graphite sticks.

Enjoy!

oONAcX2.jpg

wFWlJm9.jpg

BRoZluA.jpg

C0I7vja.jpg

H3pBvHe.jpg

YflXsR8.jpg

WaRKrp0.jpg

Here is a sneak peak of the in progress dio:

dI2OpOy.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, sampanzer said:

I haven't heard Monroe Perdue for quite some time, thought they had gone out of business. Love the Jagdpanther, very nice indeed

28 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Very nice paint and weathering !!

38 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

Really nice work,looking forward to the scene

Thanks gents! Really appreciate the comments. As mentioned, the dio topic has been added - check it out if you're interested:

@sampanzer I think MP are just very hard to get here in the UK but they do seem to be in business still. The Meng Jagdpanther is quite new and they have a Zimmerit sheet just for it.

Thanks

Beautiful work, absolutely gorgeous.
And an excellent model, I also started making it in 2019, but my poor Jagdpanther still lies in a box, glued, but unpainted. Seeing your Panther, there is an incentive to finish mine.

Vytautas

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Beautiful work, absolutely gorgeous.
And an excellent model, I also started making it in 2019, but my poor Jagdpanther still lies in a box, glued, but unpainted. Seeing your Panther, there is an incentive to finish mine.

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas - I started mine with no idea on how to finish or display it so it went back in the box for a while. I'm glad you're inspired to finish yours :D It's a great kit and makes me want to build Meng's Bergepanther now!

14 hours ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks Mick!

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Too big for my pockets but Wow, I like that, a super paint job indeed. Something to check out in my smaller scale. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve! All credit to MRP and their excellent paints for the paintjob - they spray so nicely, better than anything else I've used so far! Even in this scale I struggle with some of the details, so good luck with it at 1/72! :D 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 4:21 AM, stevehnz said:

Too big for my pockets but Wow, I like that, a super paint job indeed. Something to check out in my smaller scale.

I got the Dragon JP in 1/72 on ebay. Looks good in the box and the reviews rate it. This excellent build from theaa2000 is an inspiration to make a start on it. I'll be pleased if I get something half as good. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, echen said:

Looks good in the box and the reviews rate it.

I've a snitch on Dragon, bought one of their Ersatz M10 Panthers & it had disintergrating tracks. No response when I asked for replacements so I'll go without Dragon in future. I've bought a Zvezda JP, will look for a scheme like this beauty. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, echen said:

I got the Dragon JP in 1/72 on ebay. Looks good in the box and the reviews rate it. This excellent build from theaa2000 is an inspiration to make a start on it. I'll be pleased if I get something half as good. 🙂

Thanks echen, that is very flattering! Good luck, and I can't wait to see what you build.

6 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I've a snitch on Dragon, bought one of their Ersatz M10 Panthers & it had disintergrating tracks. No response when I asked for replacements so I'll go without Dragon in future. I've bought a Zvezda JP, will look for a scheme like this beauty. :)

Steve.

Unfortunately Dragon support in the UK is like an actual dragon....mythical and non-existent. I had the same problem getting replacement clear parts for a Tiger from them ages ago. Looking forward to seeing what you build!

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

it had disintergrating tracks

Could you let me know what were the circumstances of the tracks' disintegration? Were the tracks joined and stretched? Were they painted; enamel or acrylic? I'm very interested from the viewpoint of the future Dragon JP build I'm planning................. :worry:

8 hours ago, theaa2000 said:

Unfortunately Dragon support in the UK is like an actual dragon...

I think this was Dragon in China, their online support form, never heard a thing despite several attempts to elicit a response from them. :(

Steve

• Sad 1

Just checked my Dragon JP tracks and, thankfully they seem to be holding together ok. They look like standard rubber band tracks but they don't feel spongy. The connector area looks a bit suspect though; there are only tiny pins to engage in the holes in the other end of the tracks.

In view of the schurzen provided I suspect I might just stick them to the wheels leaving the "iffy" joint hidden behind the schurzen like I did with my Hasegawa Panther G.

• Like 2

Nice looking JP.  I too have this Meng kit and also added the MP paper zimm. Can I ask did you prime before adding the zim as recommended in the instructions?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kelscale said:

Nice looking JP.  I too have this Meng kit and also added the MP paper zimm. Can I ask did you prime before adding the zim as recommended in the instructions?

Thanks Kelscale. The Meng kit is a really nice build and if you don't change your mind about which variant to build halfway through, the parts fit very well. As for the Zim, I have to confess I did not follow the MP instructions - instead or priming the surface before glue I sanded the plastic roughly to give the glue something to grip onto, and then glued the sheets with wood glue and trimmed them once dry. They went on very well and stayed down once dry.

Being paper, they do absorb paint and swell a little so maybe it's worth sealing them with some diluted white glue? I didn't do this and the paper absorbed a fair bit of paint, but that didn't seem to cause any issues.

On 05/06/2021 at 21:41, theaa2000 said:

Thanks Kelscale. The Meng kit is a really nice build and if you don't change your mind about which variant to build halfway through, the parts fit very well. As for the Zim, I have to confess I did not follow the MP instructions - instead or priming the surface before glue I sanded the plastic roughly to give the glue something to grip onto, and then glued the sheets with wood glue and trimmed them once dry. They went on very well and stayed down once dry.

Being paper, they do absorb paint and swell a little so maybe it's worth sealing them with some diluted white glue? I didn't do this and the paper absorbed a fair bit of paint, but that didn't seem to cause any issues.

Thanks for the reply

I did prime with Mr Colour and the primer lifted in places when the PVA was manipulated so not an issue with the MP Zim per se but perhaps with my choice of primer.  Apart fron the primer issue the Zimm went down well and has behaved itself so far under acyrlic paint.  I haven’t got to the weathering stage yet, but I did seal with PVA but will still be wary

• Thanks 1