Supermarine Swift FR. Mk5 | Airfix 1:72

What a lovely kit, and the aircraft itself. Swift. However, not agile. 

Very pleasant to build, quite well fit of parts (except for the fuselage and wings joint at the underside). As for the extras, I only put a resin pilot seat from Pavla into the cockpit.

The camouflage painted using paper masks cut from the enlarged manual, MRP paints on top, White Aluminum AK Extreme Metal on the bottom, wells and the inner sides of the covers and flaps are painted with acrylic Silver paint from AK.

I hope you like it. 

dISlcb.jpg

8HUrhV.jpg

ULAGoO.jpg

s1817g.jpg

sTxlpF.jpg

l0mdPa.jpg

sPLXOM.jpg

R8jOLX.jpg

IFE1vC.jpg

• Like 69

Fantastic! That’s a gorgeous looking Swift, brilliant paintwork.

I’ve always thought it a fascinating aircraft. Despite the early issues with the fighters, by all accounts the reconnaissance version was actually very good. I’d love one in 1/48!

• Like 1

The Swift was a handsome golden age weenie cooker, and the new-tool Airfx kit and your modeling skills have done it justice. One of the nicer, Hornby-era toolings, in my opinion. Well done! (Now if they can just see their way clear to giving us a new-tool 1/72 Javelin!)

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I’d love one in 1/48!

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

(Now if they can just see their way clear to giving us a new-tool 1/72 Javelin!)

Yep, those early British jets, that's definitely something different from the US made ones. Somehow I think they're just more attractive looking planes. And those ideas, like Spiteful's wings on the Attacker, Attacker's fuselage for Swift. 

I just love them all.  And I'd love to see them all new tool injection molded in both main scales, Scimitar would be great. 

Thanks for comments!

Hubert

Edited by Hubert
  • Like 2

Hubert, your Swift looks stunning! (I come back to this thread to look at the photos over and over again...) I have two of these in the stash. My former boss started his career in the RAF with Swifts of 78 Squadron and he told many hair rising stories about them. Like that occasion when they took some "close-up" photos of the Atomium at Brussels...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

On 02/06/2021 at 19:34, junglierating said:

Well it was a bit rubbish ....if it had a taller fin/vertical stabiliser then I think it would look pretty sleek

As was the Hunter when it first came out. Both of these "super priority" projects ran into unexpected issues which took a few years to sort out. The last version of the Swift turned out to be a very decent recce platform.

2 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

As was the Hunter when it first came out. Both of these "super priority" projects ran into unexpected issues which took a few years to sort out. The last version of the Swift turned out to be a very decent recce platform.

Indeed it did,still tell me a project that hasnt issues initially or still...Type 45,QE,Ajax,Typhoon .....Merlin grrrr

It's pretty much the norm. However, it had more of an impact back then because aircraft projects had a much shorter gestation period than is the norm today. It was expected that the time gap between a prototype flying and the first versions entering service would be something like 2 to 3 years.

The delays in getting both the Hunter and Swift properly "fit for purpose" had a major impact on the RAF in the mid 1950s. Of the two, there is no doubt that the Hunter turned out to be the better (and the better looking too) but it had significant problems that needed to be sorted before it became the excellent aeroplane it became.