Reich Defence Gustav By Tamiya

37 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Might as well be right than wrong and nicely done too btw!

I have a cunning plan as Baldrick would say, since Tamiya give you two lower nose sections, an open one and a closed one.  I will go into the man cave tomorrow and try and find the redundant parts that I lobbed somewhere and see if it can be adapted to a second closed one, in RLM76, then I cannot be wrong. (except SWMBO will still say I'm wrong for wasting my money on more bits of ****** plastic) :unsure:

• Haha 2

Bob,

I am certainly enjoying this build. Worth the effort on the scheme. It is looking good.

Ray

• Thanks 1

On 06/07/2021 at 22:50, Retired Bob said:

(except SWMBO will still say I'm wrong for wasting my money on more bits of ****** plastic) :unsure:

Lucky you, mine has given up..... same sentiment though!!

Instead I get "light hearted" abuse from the postman.... why do model shops insist on putting there name on packages,  totally gives the game away!😫

"More models" he says walking away shaking his head albeit relieved not to be lugging them around anymore...until tomorrow!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

"More models" he says walking away shaking his head albeit relieved not to be lugging them around anymore...until tomorrow!

I used to get, as they shook the package "sounds like it's broken"  :fraidnot:

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Bob, its very difficult to tell if the lower cowl is in 04 or 76 from that picture so at least nobody can tell you that you are wrong.

That's true Craig, my cunning plan to cover both options almost worked, I found the "open" lower nose, adapted it to be closed and painted it RLM76, but the fuselage part between the spinner and the lower nose is also painted yellow. Doh! :doh: 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men eh! Done similar things many times myself, if it is any help I really like the yellow lower cowl.

Same here Craig, with some profiles showing it and some not, most other Reich Defence aircraft had the yellow nose for ID purposes I went with that.

A bit of a mixed result with painting the German crosses, I started with the simplified upper wing crosses from the Montex 109 mask set, I used Tamiya matt white and that went well:

IMG_1672

But the fuselage was a different story, I applied the Montex mask and again sprayed some Tamiya matt white to get the outline, that worked ok, I let it dry and then started to apply the inner masks to cover the white parts of the cross but they were not lining up where they should have been!  The forward edge of the German fuselage cross lines up with the panel line number 4 and should end on panel line 6 but this mask was beyond the line by several mm's.  I rechecked my references, the Montex cross was too large. :wtf:  It, of course was too high and too low on the fuselage side.  I removed the mask and thought through my options.

There was only two options, ignore the over sized cross and carry on or sand it back and apply the correct size cross.  Yep you guessed what I did.

IMG_1671

I was hoping that I could get most of the white paint off without too much damage to the underlying paint but that wasn't happening. :facepalm:

Thanks for looking, commiserations are always welcome

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

You certainly have my commiserations, this model is giving you some grief! I have every confidence you will get the better of it! Keep going!

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the kind thoughts, I wasn't going to let this problem hold me back, I gave my airbrush a good pep talk and resprayed the camouflage, all went well so a coat or two of some Mr Color gloss varnish and it was time to get the decals ready, for the fuselage and lower wings I used an old AeroDecal sheet of Bf 109 crosses, the rest I would get from the Eduard 109 kit decals.  Everything worked without any problems for once, there are a few more stencils to apply but here it is with both lower nose cowlings. 

IMG_1673

And here is a close up of the repair on the left side. the cross now fits between 4th and 6th frames, the Eduard colour call out to infill the fuselage croses with RLM74 doesn't look right looking at the photo I have in my book, I think it should be black.

IMG_1674

hopefully I've had all my problems now.  Any comments or questions are always welcome.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Longbow said:

You more patience than I !! ;)

It must come with age, a few years ago it would have gone in the bin, in more parts than were in the box to start with. :doh:

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Tbh, I always tended to call it "experience" if I couldn't bodge it and Iive with it.... (within reason obviously).

That would have been the next option. :whistle:

• Haha 1