Reich Defence Gustav By Tamiya

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good grief, that looks more like a surgical instrument than an airbrush!!

It's just a pity it doesn't have settings for stun and kill, they would be useful. :wicked:

It sits comfortably in the palm of your hand and is less tiring on the old digits during long spraying sessions.  I have the 0.2 and 0.4mm needles for it.

• Haha 3

I have added the RLM 74 camouflage to my 109, I will let this harden so it can be handled then I can spray the mottle camouflage on the sides.  While that's happening I'm going to start my next GB project.

IMG_1648

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Steve 1602 said:

Looking good Bob 

Took a bit of head scratching, I thought that there was a standard camouflage pattern with variations from each of the assembly plants but the Tamiya kit has 3 camouflage options, each with a different pattern on the tail and wings, the Eduard painting guides, each show 5 different patterns, most with variations to the wing/tail pattern.  They all cannot be correct, how many WW2 photos show clear images of the upper wing and tailplane camouflage patterns?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Took a bit of head scratching, I thought that there was a standard camouflage pattern with variations from each of the assembly plants but the Tamiya kit has 3 camouflage options, each with a different pattern on the tail and wings, the Eduard painting guides, each show 5 different patterns, most with variations to the wing/tail pattern.  They all cannot be correct, how many WW2 photos show clear images of the upper wing and tailplane camouflage patterns?

I was searching patterns yesterday coincidentally Bob, as the G-6 I am building has the ‘sawtooth’ pattern. I found this webpage which I thought was a helpful explanation 

http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/2013/10/chosing-correct-wingpattern-for-bf109g-6.html?m=1

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

I was searching patterns yesterday coincidentally Bob, as the G-6 I am building has the ‘sawtooth’ pattern.

That's going to be interesting to do, any ideas on how you are going to make the sawtooth pattern? 

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That's going to be interesting to do, any ideas on how you are going to make the sawtooth pattern? 

Hi Bob, My original plan was to photocopy and enlarge the painting guide to 1/48 scale and then cut out templates from tamiya masking paper. Unfortunately that was out of stock at Hannants, so I’ve cheated and ordered some Top Notch Erla camo masks instead. As the camo is a little complex I thought masking (homemade or otherwise) would be the best option.

Steve

• Like 1

Must say Bob your new H&S airbrush looks a bit very smart, let us now how it performs?

I quite like the pistol grip, my old Iwata neo has the pistol grip and it's nice to use. However I do like my H&S Evo 0.2mm for detail work, looks as if your new one might cover both bases..🤔

109 looks good painted too!

Atb

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Must say Bob your new H&S airbrush looks a bit very smart, let us now how it performs?

The couple of times I've used it so far have been very positive, It comes with a couple of spacer rings so that the length between the hand grips can be adjusted, the trigger action can be adjusted to suit your own style, this is all external so is quick and easy, as is cleaning between colours.  I was looking for an Iawata with a pistol grip when I saw this Colani, somehow it just jumped into my basket and job done. :whistle:  (I bought it from www.air-craft.net, my go to place for airbrushes and parts, I've always had great service from them)

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:12 AM, Retired Bob said:

I trialed my new Harder & Steenbeck Colani airbrush

Looks like it was designed by Steyr - hold it firm in the shoulder and squeeze the trigger.

• Haha 3

Sorry for the delay in any updates, I had everything ready to apply the mottle to the fuselage sides, thinned the paint, air compressor set to 8 psi, I had a practice and it seemed fine but as soon as I pointed the airbrush at the model it spat and spluttered.  I cleaned the needle and head, added a bit more thinner but it wasn't playing, now it was too thin and I got spider webs.  So I have let it harden up, sanded it down and reapplied the RLM 76.  I'll try again tomorrow.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Sorry for the delay in any updates, I had everything ready to apply the mottle to the fuselage sides, thinned the paint, air compressor set to 8 psi, I had a practice and it seemed fine but as soon as I pointed the airbrush at the model it spat and spluttered.  I cleaned the needle and head, added a bit more thinner but it wasn't playing, now it was too thin and I got spider webs.  So I have let it harden up, sanded it down and reapplied the RLM 76.  I'll try again tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that Bob,  has to be soooo irritating!

Deep breath and have a look tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Sorry to hear that Bob,  has to be soooo irritating!

It might have been the high humidity, I haven't experienced this with Mr Color acrylics before.  All part of the rich tapestry of life, but like you I seem to find less time for modelling at the moment.

Just hope that tomorrow I'll be posting some nice "mottle pictures" :winkgrin:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I'll try again tomorrow.

Bob,

Very annoying.  I found on my current build that it was challenging weather conditions for mottling due to the very high temperatures here in Eastern Europe. Not ideal. I prefer the cool/mild dry days for this type of painting. In fact, better for any airbrush work.

I am also amazed at the micro adjustment in thinning ratio I needed to make it work. For me thinning ratio is always the number one. Pressure is how far I want to work from the surface.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I am also amazed at the micro adjustment in thinning ratio I needed to make it work. For me thinning ratio is always the number one. Pressure is how far I want to work from the surface.

I played about with the ratio of self levelling thinner, settled on about 60% and upped the air pressure to 10/12 psi.  The weather was good and this is the result:

IMG_1661

The only photo that I have found of this aircraft is of the pilots mother stood next to the tail, from what I can make out of the fuselage there was quite heavy mottle, the front end is pure speculation.

IMG_1658

Just a bit of tidying up then I can gloss it and get the decals on, though the upper wing outline crosses will be painted on.  I'm just glad the end is in sight for this Ausburg eagle, there is a queue forming.  Any comments or questions are always welcome. :winkgrin:

• Like 12

On 7/1/2021 at 8:55 PM, Retired Bob said:

The only photo that I have found of this aircraft is of the pilots mother stood next to the tail, from what I can make out of the fuselage there was quite heavy mottle, the front end is pure speculation.

this appears on 'Rod's warbird photos' - pretty poor quality scan though. Perhaps better than nothing

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

this appears on 'Rod's warbird photos' - pretty poor quality scan though. Perhaps better than nothing

Thanks for this image, when I searched online for images all I got were profiles, a couple had RLM 76 on the nose underside/oil cooler and another couple went with the RLM 04 yellow ID marking there.

I was correct with the RLM 70 spinner backplate and it's good image for the exhaust staining.

On 03/07/2021 at 13:44, FalkeEins said:

spacer.png

Thanks to FalkeEins picture I have made my 109 more accurate, I had gone with the Eduard painting guide and applied a scalloped wing leading edge with the demarcation set well back but as can be seen on the photo this is not correct so out with the sanding stick and and I have redone the wings.  I'm not sure whether the lower nose is RLM76 or the ID yellow so I'm leaving it yellow...for now.

I'm painting the crosses on the upper wings and fuselage, they are both the white outline type with the fuselage ones infilled with RLM74, but I've put the JG53 nose decal on to make a start.

IMG_1668

Thanks for looking, hopefully the next update will be quicker.

• Like 10