Elegoo Mars 3 - Small factor 4K

Elegoo will be entering into the small factor 4K printers arena with their Mars 3. 😀

spacer.png 

spacer.png

No ETA yet. Knowing the supply issues Eleggo has with their Saturn I would not hold my breath for having these M3 available anytime soon but it´s good to know that now that the trend is bigger is better that there are other manufacturers interested in releasing small factor printers with higher resolutions. The more the merrier always. 👍

Exciting times indeed! 

Regards!

Alvaro

• Like 1

BTW, Anycubic also has a new model in the works, the Photon Ultra. No further details yet but that they are switching from LCD to DLP (the same system you may find in Wanhao printers in example). I have no idea if there is any afordable DLP projector delivering true 4K resolution so we will have to wait and see for knowing the actual specs.

As this is a small factor 4K, does this mean that it will be offering a higher resolution then the current 2K and 4K printers.

I ask this based on my understanding that the current 4K printers are a larger scale offering a bigger build plate so their resolution works out the same as their 2K siblings.

But if we are getting a 4K printer with the same build plate size as the current 2K printers that would suggest a higher X and Y resolution?

Is that the case?

Cheers,

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

My son is wishing to acquire a 3D printer; I am dazzled by the choice (along with apparent absence of actual stock!), is this a good choice for a beginner who wishes to print out Warhammer-esque figurines? 

Mike 

It's not out yet, and probably won't be out until the autumn.  So...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you want something sooner, either the Elegoo Mars 2 or Anycubic Photon Mono would be fine - they're functionally identical.  You probably wouldn't want an Elegoo Saturn or Photon Mono X, as larger printers introduce other problems beyond the initial learning curve.

• Thanks 1

It's not available.  You pre-ordered for a delivery at some unknown time in the future (I don't think they've said when the pre-orders will start shipping).

Again, it probably won't be released - shipped - until the autumn.

I'm certainly not going to argue with you, because you appear to know the territory better, but the website certainly doesn't seem to make that obvious. As an open question, how can you tell its only in the  pre-order state? 

It's listed on the Pre-Order section of their website: https://www.elegoo.com/collections/pre-order

And their social media activity for last week was all about how to pre-order the printer starting on the 10th. 

https://twitter.com/Elegoo_Official

Plus, it's just the way Chinese tech companies do business: fund production via pre-orders, release beta units to influencers and early adopters, develop and iron out problems over time.  I don't know when it will actually release, but based on experience, autumn seems a safe bet.  Could be a little sooner, could be a little later, but I'd be shocked if it's in your hands within a matter of weeks.

Just noticed, they're saying all the (early bird?) pre-orders will ship by August 30: 

Edited by ICMF
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

And yet another contender in the small factor 4K arena. Anycubic Photon Mono 4K.

6.23" 4K LCD with 0.035mm resolution on par with the Sonic Mini 4K and Mars 3. Already out... but for their home market -China- for now. It is supposed it should be available for the rest of us fall this year.

The external appareance is a 2K Mono but there are some nice improvements here and there besides the 4K LCD. A much welcomed protective clear sheet for the LCD, adjustable UV power and a laser engraved buildplate (BTW, they are also delivering laser engraved build plates with their Mono X and with the incoming Ultra). 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards!

Alvaro

9 hours ago, Alvaro Rodriguez said:

And yet another contender in the small factor 4K arena. Anycubic Photon Mono 4K.

6.23" 4K LCD with 0.035mm resolution on par with the Sonic Mini 4K and Mars 3. Already out... but for their home market -China- for now. It is supposed it should be available for the rest of us fall this year.

The external appareance is a 2K Mono but there are some nice improvements here and there besides the 4K LCD. A much welcomed protective clear sheet for the LCD, adjustable UV power and a laser engraved buildplate (BTW, they are also delivering laser engraved build plates with their Mono X and with the incoming Ultra). 

Regards!

Alvaro

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll keep an eye out for that.  Let’s hope they release it under a pre-order scheme rather than repeat the Kickstarter shambles that they did for the Ultra.

I do wonder if and when this will hit our shores though.  They have a huge number of orders for the Ultra to deal with first - and then it begs the question of having so many printers addressing the same form-factor space - the mono, the 2k, the 4k and the ultra - they will need to rationalise that I think.

I’m also interested in seeing how budget DLP pans out - I tried to order an Ultra but fell victim to Kickstarter so cancelled my pledge.  But in the cold light of day I’m glad I cancelled as I want to see how the budget DLP really performs.  It is lower resolution 80u compared with 50u for 2k and 35u for 4k for similar sized build plates.  But DLP is claimed to be sharper so offsets that difference.  There is also some 4x processing logic which is claimed to improve the resolution.  Also, even with a resolution of 80u the build plate for the ultra is significantly smaller than the those of the LCD minis, maybe too small.  I note that all of the marketing has focussed on fantasy miniatures, I wonder if that nod to the small build plate.  I would be looking to do wargaming miniatures so I didn’t think the size would be an issue at first but doing some calculations I realise that it might struggle with 28mm scale vehicles.

Cheers,

Nigel

But after the Mars3 and the Photon Mono 4K, things are still hot in the small factor LCD field.

Now Phrozen comes with a new Sonic Mini... 8K, with 0.022mm pixel resolution.

spacer.png

It´s a 7" LCD and, from the promo pic, we can also see a double lineal rail and a robust buildplate carriage unlike the weak one in the SM4K.

To be released mid october via the usual trend of preorders, early birds and the like.

Regards!

Alvaro

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alvaro Rodriguez said:

But after the Mars3 and the Photon Mono 4K, things are still hot in the small factor LCD field.

Now Phrozen comes with a new Sonic Mini... 8K, with 0.022mm pixel resolution.

spacer.png

It´s a 7" LCD and, from the promo pic, we can also see a double lineal rail and a robust buildplate carriage unlike the weak one in the SM4K.

To be released mid october via the usual trend of preorders, early birds and the like.

Regards!

Alvaro

Looks interesting - do you know if Phrozen do UK-friendly shipping like AnyCubic and Elegoo do for their launches - they have warehouses in the UK.

Cheers,

Nigel

On 10/8/2021 at 5:11 PM, ICMF said:

Phrozen is entirely based out of Asia.

Thanks for confirming that, this was my suspicion too.

I’ve registered interest as the $349 price as the super early bird sounds very attractive.

But unlike Elegoo and AnyCubic I guess I need to factor in

Shipping

VAT

Courier Admin Fee

which will add another $100 or so.

And I suspect getting that Super Early Bird price is unlikely any way.

Cheers,

Nigel