Tamiya 1/24 Alpine A110 Monte-Carlo 71

So on to the next one and this is a kit I've been looking forward to building for quite a while. At first glance this looks to be a very nice kit indeed with only a couple of tricky masking jobs to contend with. I brought the kit pre owned however it is in mint condition as described and although it cost me a few quid I'm very happy to have one at last. So I've added a couple of parts to the shell including the rear bonnet as I don't plan on showing the engine and would much rather have everything fitting correctly before I apply any paint. Here's a pic of the shell ready for primer 

spacer.png

Tbh the kit plastic colour is quite nice as it comes however it does have a few strange swirly patterns in it so grey primer was called for the usual Mr surfacer 1500 grey my no1 choice always 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up a product i haven't used for a while. Zero Paints Alpine Blue which after many light coats left me with the basecoat colour I was looking for. Obviously the basecoat will require a gloss clear coat before the final colour can be seen but I'm confident it should look just right when I'm finished with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So I can put the shell to one side for a while now and concentrate on the rest of the build however that won't be till next weekend as once again work has to come first. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 14

Great start, my advise would be if you're not going to show the engine then leave off the cam cover as the fit between the top of the engine and the body is very tight or at least don't glue it until you're sure it fits - Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice start Andy. Yes it's a piity, the body got a nearly perfect shadebut the swirl are a lttle bit psychadelic.

The grill for the air inlets at the back, did you made your own or are the the OOB items.

Can't await how shade of the bodycolour will differ after the clearcote.

I'll keep an eye on your WIP

Marco F

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Great start, my advise would be if you're not going to show the engine then leave off the cam cover as the fit between the top of the engine and the body is very tight or at least don't glue it until you're sure it fits - Andy 

Based on my experience of the road-going Alpine A110 kit, this is very sound advice!

Also watch for the fit of the dashboard and interior side panels, if the dashboard is too high the body won't fit properly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Nice start Andy. Yes it's a piity, the body got a nearly perfect shadebut the swirl are a lttle bit psychadelic.

The grill for the air inlets at the back, did you made your own or are the the OOB items.

Can't await how shade of the bodycolour will differ after the clearcote.

I'll keep an eye on your WIP

Marco F

Hi Marco the grilles are the kit parts with the chrome removed. I will paint them correctly at a later stage but I just didn't like the chrome finish tbh. The body colour should change to a slightly darker blue and obviously there will be a lot more shine to it 🙂👍

1 minute ago, johnlambert said:

Based on my experience of the road-going Alpine A110 kit, this is very sound advice!

Also watch for the fit of the dashboard and interior side panels, if the dashboard is too high the body won't fit properly.

Thanks for the advice John I read through your build thread last night and noted the issues you had with certain parts. Makes me wonder whether or not it's worth leaving the engine out altogether however it does seem a shame.....not quite sure what to do atm but I've got a few days at work to think about it 🤔 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

A classic for scale car modelers ! great start on it 👍

Thanks the shape of the body does it for me one of the best looking body shell's ever imo 🙂👍

40 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Thanks for the information much appreciated 👍 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks for the advice John I read through your build thread last night and noted the issues you had with certain parts. Makes me wonder whether or not it's worth leaving the engine out altogether however it does seem a shame.....not quite sure what to do atm but I've got a few days at work to think about it 🤔 

I'd do as much of the engine as shows from underneath the car, although I can't remember how much is obscured by the under-tray if you paint it as per the instructions.  Fitting the exhaust might be more difficult without the engine.

Also a lot of my issues were inflicted by a poor initial paint job and ten year hiatus in the build.  I hope you find it far more straightforward.  I certainly look forward to seeing your kit come together.  It looks like you're off to a good start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnlambert said:

I'd do as much of the engine as shows from underneath the car, although I can't remember how much is obscured by the under-tray if you paint it as per the instructions.  Fitting the exhaust might be more difficult without the engine.

Also a lot of my issues were inflicted by a poor initial paint job and ten year hiatus in the build.  I hope you find it far more straightforward.  I certainly look forward to seeing your kit come together.  It looks like you're off to a good start.

Thanks John I think I'll just build the kit as it comes and if a certain amount of surgery is required then so be it. This is not me totally ignoring the advice that's been offered merely my thoughts atm 🙂👍

• Like 1

I've merged this down Andy, and just so you know, if you want to report a thread, it's best to do it with the Report button, which is in the triple-dot ... menu in the top right, as that also gives us a link to the thread.  I think you used the Contact Us link, so all we got was "Please remove this double post, thanks"... twice for some reason :hmmm: Fortunately, I used my mad skillz to look on your profile and see your content listing.  I know, I'm amazing ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

I've merged this down Andy, and just so you know, if you want to report a thread, it's best to do it with the Report button, which is in the triple-dot ... menu in the top right, as that also gives us a link to the thread.  I think you used the Contact Us linke, so all we got was "Please remove this double post, thanks"... twice for some reason :hmmm: Fortunately, I used my mad skillz to look on your profile and see your content listing.  I know, I'm amazing ;)

Thanks Mike appreciated 👍. What actually happened was that when I posted this build thread I got one of them 500 messages come up and then for some reason I ended up with a double post 🤔😬. As I'm always a good lad....well generally so...I'm sure you'll understand 🙂 👍

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Looking good already mate, lovely little cars aren't they?!

K

Beautiful cars Keith don't suppose you know where I could get my hands on a kit for an Alpine A310 mate....I have cash waiting 😉👍

Had no idea that there was a 1/24 kit of the Alpine.

It looks fantastic. Great start with primer and colour.

Watching with enthusiasm,

Rally number plates?

Good luck with the build

Anthony

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Had no idea that there was a 1/24 kit of the Alpine.

It looks fantastic. Great start with primer and colour.

Watching with enthusiasm,

Rally number plates?

Good luck with the build

Anthony

Thanks Anthony there are indeed rally plates included in this kit 👍 

spacer.png

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Andy J said:

don't suppose you know where I could get my hands on a kit for an Alpine A310

I had an old Airfix one years back, really basic kit - I honestly don't recall if I built the thing or what happened to it. Not sure if it was originally an Airfix kit or a rebox of someone elses. It's a car we really need a new kit of.

Looking at Scalemates, it was originally a Grip kit (never heard of them!) and was also reboxed by Heller (who also did a 1/43 kit IIRC)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-05403-renault-alpine--129974

Keith

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Mike appreciated 👍. What actually happened was that when I posted this build thread I got one of them 500 messages come up and then for some reason I ended up with a double post 🤔😬. As I'm always a good lad....well generally so...I'm sure you'll understand 🙂 👍

It’s about the only real inconvenience of the 500s, apart from having to hit refresh a couple of times a day. When you’re posting something in future and get one, just open a new tab to check it posted ok. Then close the old one down. We’ll get it sorted eventually, just not yet :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Just like the real car then! The 1600 A110s came with a little jack to raise the body (fibreglass so flexible) over the engine enough to get the front spark plug out. The 1300 is ok, but the 1600 has a taller block.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Had no idea that there was a 1/24 kit of the Alpine

There's actually three that I know of (and have waiting). '73 Road spec with push button door handles and the later four stud wheels (Tamiya), '71 Monte (Tamiya), virtually the same kit but with proper door handles and the six spoke, three stud wheels and '73 Monte or Tour de Corse (Heller). If you dig back, you'll find a post from me about the differences in the shell mouldings, Heller is quite different and, I think, wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike said:

It’s about the only real inconvenience of the 500s, apart from having to hit refresh a couple of times a day. When you’re posting something in future and get one, just open a new tab to check it posted ok. Then close the old one down. We’ll get it sorted eventually, just not yet :)

Will do cheers Mike 🙂👍

Ah you've already got the next one in colour... must check the WIP's more often! 

Well, I'm in, this is a great looking car :popcorn:

I think I saw one of these new ones a couple of weeks ago, is that possible? (that's me asking the guys who know much more about cars than I do 🙂

Anyway, it was really pretty. 

• Like 1