Monogram B-17G

1 hour ago, elger said:

Looking good! I used oil paints for replicating those stains on my Seattle Sleeper this weekend - I was pretty happy with how that worked out (also not great at airbrushing them freehand!)

Thanks Elger, good suggestion, however I am not sure if the oil paint/mineral spirits may affect the mr color gx varnish since it is laquer based and not water/acrylic based. (If I am correct?)

Rgds,

Rob

Had a go at trying to simulate the exhaust/oil stains with the Tamiya powders.

Attempting to achieve a little bit of Color variation by mixing in brown and white with the black. Not sure if I am reaching the desired result, but on the other hand it takes only one swipe with a damp kitchen towel and it is completely removed.

UGUvYZp.jpg

rU8Dn8l.jpg

t4GqwL8.jpg

I may have a look in the morning with a fresh pair of eyes to see if I am happy with the weathering. Thinking of blending it in with Tamiya smoke…..

Thanks for watching

• Like 5

Wasn’t quite happy with the work done with the Tamiya weathering powders and in the end I decided to airbrush the Tamiya “smoke”. First I tried to loosely mask it with blue tack, but that didn’t work, so I took the plunge and airbrushed it freehand.

Not sure if it look the part, but it is pretty permanent now:

t7LbdVf.jpg

InrTR3s.jpg

ngpYvSG.jpg

zMZ9crk.jpg

Perhaps the weathering powders didn’t look that bad after all. May use them agin for some touch ups.

Coated everything in Alclad Matt varnish ( the solvent type) except the NMF sections which were given an extra coat of Alclad Gloss (also the solvent version):

VeDLAeQ.jpg

K2wcRGR.jpg

FaZAqjC.jpg

Tjd7iL1.jpg

When lifting masking tape on the fin, a tiny bit of the black “Y” diamond came away.

I decided to not touch up, but leave it as wear.

s3VDJck.jpg

Tomorrow I should be able to remove the window masks. Just hoping all the windows stay in place and don’t come out…….

That’s all thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob

• Like 10

Couldn’t resist and removed the window masking tape. All windows stayed in place, but some were clouded with dust and residue, probably from washing the model after sanding/scribing. Thus had to break a window in the nose so I could access them from the inside with a cotton swab for cleaning. Managed to carefully glue the window back in. Some tidying up to do around the transparencies.

The wings to fuselage is a pretty tight fit, so also on this occasion I couldn’t resist a dryfit and it is good to finally see it come together, although I am months away from completing the model, also due to my work abroad and my leave about to end soon.

Hope you like it thus far:

S4rFcu8.jpg

2YerZxi.jpg

UCaFh3I.jpg

FCjebVk.jpg

Tomorrow I may turn to some chipping, although I can’t really find an image with obvious general wear due to maintenance. I gather near the wing root and the front engine covers might be a good place to start and perhaps near the fuel caps.

The Wright Cyclones need some dirtying up as well.

That’s all, thanks for watching,

Rgds

Rob

• Like 17

Slight mishap, while I was trying to mask a few panels in order to highlight them using some weathering powders. When removing the tape, despite having tried to seal them with gloss and Matt coats, the yellow “2nd patch” decal came away. They must never really have taken to the surface, just like the trouble I had with the “Y”:diamond on the tail.

Removed the other side and had no choice but try and make a mask. I tried this earlier, but the frisket masks didn’t come out right. Then remembered I had some Tamiya masking sheets and that worked much better.

First put a base of Tamiya flesh colour and then the yellow just took to it with just 2 passes of the airbrush. 

on some images you can find the second patches text in white, but studying the black and white photograph, the text is in my opinion very different compared to the white of the stars and bars, so maintained the yellow text.

Below the comparison with decals:

x2lOTI0.jpg

Vznm0R1.jpg

And here the replacement text using a cricut mask cut from Tamiya tape:

H4a1rAL.jpg

RL54Qvx.jpg

Will have to cover again with some Alclad Matt.

Rgds

Rob

• Like 14

Not much to show, but I did do lots of work on the b-17.

Went completely overboard with metal chipping and once finished and looked at it from a distance, I was quite disappointed. Think I had a spell of tunnel vision or something else during the chipping process, using metallic pence, a sponge with revell alu paint and scratching some away with my hobby knife.

Used all manner of thinners etc and removed some of the Matt coat, exhaust/oil staining, so I started all over again. This time I sprayed the Tamiya smoke, but also blended in some brown and blue Tamiya weathering powder and re coated everything with Alclad Matt and some flat.

Also the “2nd patches” lettering is now blended in with  the Matt coat. Still lots more tidying up to do, but Inam thinking of starting with the under carriage, so I can attend to the nose and ball turret and the Eduard flaps.

BYg2eE1.jpg

LByehvx.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob 

• Like 11

Did some work on the ball turret (minus gun barrels) and the chin turret. Filled the chin turret with UV resin, so I can drill into it for the gun barrels later. Also filled the gun ports with Vallejo filler to simulate the canvas zipper arrangement ( all to be painted and highlighted later). Chin turret need some extra work done, now that the image is showing in a close up.

Fitted the undercarriage to the wings, but haven’t fixed the wings permanently to the fuselage yet. 

ah0WxcG.jpg

Also took the transparent nose off again and gave it another polish because dirt had accumulated inside.

onbmw6p.jpg

Iy5hGYd.jpg

still to do:

Top turret

Chin turret

Eduard Bomb bay doors

Eduard Flaps ( attempting to construct one … not easy😵💫Wish I had some resin or 3d printed ones - same for bomb bay doors)

Decal and weather props

Various small fittings such as antenna’s, pitot and the various lights etc.

BlvItYu.jpg

That’s all, 

Thanks for watching,

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 13

Good morning,

Did some work on the gun turrets yesterday. Inserted some 2 mm tubing into the chin turret to receive the 1 mm Master barrels. Took quite some effort to get the decals to stick and conform. Quite a bit of touching up had to be done and because the 3 part shark mouth detail does  not join together, I decided to hand paint and joined the decals using Vallejo paint. I am hoping that some aqua gloss will blend the decal and paintwork together ( later today). At the moment it looks quite crude from close up.

EbbzhI9.jpg

Chin turret temporarily in place with blue tack.

MO5MFoI.jpg

Master barrels loosely fitted in their sleeves.

gttMfFf.jpg

The zip arrangement is flattened lead wire. Not sure if this was actually fitted, but it looks a little better than the hollow gap of the monogram chin turret i.m.o.

0oVGZek.jpg

Also inserted the Master barrels into the ball turret.

7YBywEq.jpg

And placed the decals on the propellers

d0Ja2gy.jpg

Some clear coats to be applied today and then it is time to build the photo etch bomb bay doors and finish the flaps, but I anticipate them not to be finished for a long time.

That’s all for now.

Thanks for watching.

Rgds

Rob

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Tom_the_Line said:

Amazing work Rob!

unfortunately just jumped on

lots and lots of hints notet.

Realy eager to see her finished

cheers Tom

Thank you   Tom,

Due to work it will take a few more months before I can finish the build.

Nevertheless, slowly getting there.

Rgds,

Rob

Applied some aqua gloss on the chin turret and the prop decals and slightly sanded with Tamiya 3000 grit sponge in an attempt to further blend in the decals and my hand painted shark teeth. (and repeated this)

Followed up with a Matt coat, this time using VMS Matt. Nice stuff. Quite thick and your meant to airbrush it with a .4 needle. I used a .18 needle and noticed this is not quite optimal, but since the varnish is self levelling, the result was all the same when it dried up. Really liked the few things I tried from VMS. The C.A. debonder, the metal prep and their Matt coat are very nice products. This together with the mrp paints I started using for this build have been good discoveries for me.

The props are Matt now (some weathering to be done still)

YxUAZ85.jpg

mMlA8p8.jpg

Vsox4QB.jpg

pJpcMZi.jpg

q4L6dft.jpg

To be continued in a couple of months time.

Thanks for watching,

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 14

A bit late to this point but in addition to agreeing with all of the positive comments preceding mine, the painted “2nd Patches” is in my opinion a great improvement over the decal.  There’s an authenticity to your painted version that is lacking in decals which are often just *too* perfect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Back on leave and picked up the b-17 again and constructed the 2nd flap and the Eduard bomb bay doors. Difficult to shape the doors, but I did save the plastic cut outs and tried to shape them accordingly. Bought some glue loopers from the States and it does make the CA glueing a little easier and neater.

spacer.png

just waiting to receive my rolling/ bending tool from Historex to finish the curved flap cover and then use the VMS metal primer before coating.

LLjtyPY.jpg

Hope to finish within the next few weeks.

That’s all, thanks for watching.

Rgds

Rob

• Like 5

Hi, 

Painted and attached the flaps. According to one of the pilots of 2nd patches, the flaps were replaced after a particularly bad raid and left bare aluminium: https://www.facebook.com/pg/99BGHS/photos/?ref=page_internal&tab=album&album_id=626418627879321

DXV4sgX.jpg

FooGdfe.jpg

5ZkgfxL.jpg

Also did some prep work on the tail, with just the barrels to be inserted. That’s all for now.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Rob, really great work and research—this really is impressive—best, Erwin

What he said - meticulous work 👍

• Thanks 1