The Other Tim's 1/48 Airfix Canberra PR9 - modelled as Shorts SC.9 XH132 Royal Aircraft Establishment, visiting RAF Wyton 1884 - paint scheme RAE ‘Raspberry Ripple’

Tim Moff

Heres the thing - I don't model many things that are unarmed - so I looked at my stash and there was the PR9 I got at a snip some years back, part of building aircraft from my nostalgic youth, living in East Anglia... so I dug it out and looked at the ongoing builds to find a few PR9's in1/48 and 1/72...what can I do different...and found the Alley Cat SC9 conversion - why not I thought.

Gg3xJrI.jpg

5tdHra6.jpg

AjGWunR.jpg

WeHMMk0.jpg

vQIgaAP.jpg

All kit reviews also hammered the decal quality - not easy to get aftermarkets anymore...

9rmrDv3.jpg

Alley Cat conversion kit:

ZKWAuP4.jpg

pByWsXZ.jpg

iGELSvU.jpg

Then I have seen @DaveJL's build and thought, great another project I can follow and handrail - sorry Dave my last 3 builds have kinda mirrored yours, obviously we have similar tastes, honest I am not a copycat!

The next factor - I am due to jet off to Tokyo with work on 12 July to cover the Olympics (if it goes ahead!) so my initial look at the dates thinking I have til August was thrown into touch!

So what option paint job should I do - looking at Dave's build and the fact a bit of the extra lumps will be omitted, I have thought I can bash it together reasonably quickly as I am off this week (though the suns out!) which would give me the time for the paint job....

Anyone have any preferences?! Depending on the option a number of early decisions will need to be made (with/without tanks, antenna holes etc) - oh and requisitioning paints etc....

00HMTWN.jpg

42ElP3n.jpg

Option 1 - High speed Silver would be straightforward paint wise, with the Day-Glo and blue primer - but my building skilz are not perfect so would show the likely many imperfections! 

Option 2 - White always a challenge I spose and similar imperfections wise as Silver ....

Option 3 - never done a Raspberry Ripple, would be a challenge I guess, but with Mr Paint Lacquers the drying time is quick meaning the masking etc would not have to wait days as per other paints....

Option 4 - Hemp/LAG would be a bit easier I spose....

So - what will it be....

Next I will get the parts off the sprues, get the cockpit done quickly, believe its not correct and it will be black with a bit of artistic license on the buttons and switches...maybe get some of the other bits off and cleaned up as well.

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 5

Nice mate! I like the Hemp or the silver scheme myself!

I'm not long after priming mine and looks like it needs some clean up. The fitting of the resin cockpit has definitely gave me more work!

• Like 1

So I am going with the Hemp/LAG scheme, mainly due to time....not many pictures around so will be taking a few guess on some lumps and bumps (lack of) etc...

One day I will do the 'Raspberry Ripple' - but not this time!

Got started, some removing from sprues, priming and test fitting....

87P0uSl.jpg

Artistic licence with the pit as its not correct and will be hardly seen with the canopy down....

uywOo7b.jpg

With so much glass knocking about I got some masks...

aDcnom7.jpg

VDM8yoE.jpg

• Like 9

But more done 

lots of messing with the cockpit and join plus plenty of filler on the seams 

also used the masks on the belly 

YSYMPgG.jpg

qvo6igk.jpg

Ii1Bcbd.jpg

HYFo2q2.jpg

E4SWlfv.jpg

need to get this all sanded, not my best skill ! Adjust the tail fin a bit as per the advice …

• Like 7

You do know that the SC9 never flew in Hemp? The Hemp colour scheme was applied ONLY after the aircraft had been relegated to a ground instructional role at St Mawgan, as  practise for St Mawgan's painters and finishers. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jon Lake said:

You do know that the SC9 never flew in Hemp? The Hemp colour scheme was applied ONLY after the aircraft had been relegated to a ground instructional role at St Mawgan, as  practise for St Mawgan's painters and finishers. 

Thats interesting - I didn't - thanks for letting me know....leaves me in a bit of a quandary as I build wheels up! Wondered why I couldn't find any flying picture examples.....

Will need to rethink - just filled the fuel tank holes as well! Easily smoothed off and drilled out.....

So its Raspberry Ripple, High Speed Silver or White!

• Like 1

Bit more done.

Tail shape done

WQporZb.jpg

vw4tTUv.jpg

Uvxu5EL.jpg

7Y8GZ0E.jpg

3dfObL4.jpg

Seams are my nemesis - not perfect but will do....

zqp7Ynb.jpg

il6HB5m.jpg

Need to sort wings next - If fit allows I may leave them off for the painting...

• Like 6

Moving on….typically my flight to Tokyo 20 has been bought forward to the 8th so the pressure is on….or will the IOC or Japanese gov cancel ?!

final building and sanding and priming !

naBezV0.jpg

cJJ7256.jpg

L6wMKrd.jpg

Ib4nufK.jpg

CA glue out having primed and painted the front end of the come etc 

J7yOS95.jpg

instructions for the paint on the tanks is slightly different to the reference pics that show one with a lot less white at the aft end….

RdBTMEv.jpg

got the mr paint white onto the fuselage upper areas ready to mask off for the red stripe…

N8WXY9m.jpg

White takes no prisoners so there are some flaws but hey ho I will drive on now !

LBSJ6ET.jpg

next I need to get the wings primed and start on them, also start masking off the white areas to protect them. Will then mist paint seal over the tape to try to prevent any bleed from the red …

black anti glare next, then onto the red.

I then plan to mask and black prime the areas for the blue paint .

some of the stencils from

the kit are not suitable for this scheme so I will start the decal search 🤣

• Like 6

Grand painting plan underway !

zWY4Sv3.jpg

white and masking 

bMt4WVe.jpg

anti glare and red on 

s2lPYWE.jpg

FUz1Dwi.jpg

Blue

4LAT1Ca.jpg

Unmasked - some areas to touch up but not too much bleed 

O324YtU.jpg

HOAIBFS.jpg

1fUh7DU.jpg

xbFryuq.jpg

the issue with these type of schemes is you do what I used to do when I used to zero my rifle on the range when I was serving in the Parachute Regiment - start chasing the small errors !

I will try to sort out each little bit individually then put it down and re asses …

need to get the wings done now and I think I may in with a chance to finish before I get on the plane to Tokyo 20….

• Like 6

Lots of painting, masking, taping, swearing and touch ups etc !!

208haT3.jpg

XmxZVBQ.jpg

rP1e9bO.jpg

Yb4FeZf.jpg

vWbaDNq.jpg

uIIEFZb.jpg

q55qfkC.jpg

You get the gist !

zTrzoOE.jpg

Z5O260x.jpg

Next is decals … @DaveJL is kindly sending me some model alliance spare stencils as many of the kit ones are the wrong colour so hopefully will be able to correct some …

XLLemrG.jpg

• Like 2

Start on the decals 

had to slice a strip out of the wing roundels so I could avoid the wing vortex’s which I will hand paint blue 

qJQcMpj.jpg

K2lnF3X.jpg

xE5VZOf.jpg

g0kw8gA.jpg

Not sure the mr paint blue sprayed so well as I’ve got a bit of slivering …don’t normally need to gloss with Mr Paint so I didn’t …

lOIkriu.jpg

VnqkZm4.jpg

starting to look like a Frankenstein Canberra !

ntPlVyg.jpg

what do people use for panel washing over white ?

I have Grey Tamiya panel accent - would that work ? Same with red/blue -use brown ?

or just leave it clean ?

• Like 6

• Tim Moff changed the title to The Other Tim's 1/48 Airfix Canberra PR9 - modelled as Shorts SC.9 XH132 Royal Aircraft Establishment, based at RAF Wyton 1976 - paint scheme RAE ‘Raspberry Ripple’

Got the minimal amount of stencils on - it seems the black coloured ones are not available even on the MA sheet kindly passed onto me by @DaveJL so I used yellow where it looked ok…   more work in areas and got the gloss is on 

xGtuIvh.jpg

DbEbtct.jpg

Gonna try the grey wash on the white, brown on red and black on the blue … maybe in some inconspicuous areas first …

then it’s time to join it all up and maybe make up a satin topcote from a mix of gloss and flat  - the pics don’t look properly gloss ?

• Like 6

I’ve used the 3 Tamiya panel line washes - will clean up and see how it looks …

home straight, satin coat, lights and antenna then get the wings on

ynNICvU.jpg

IiBKGc2.jpg

• Like 3

Final assembly time!!!

fuwOPJ2.jpg

5UWMyeC.jpg

C7ER4DV.jpg

Done and dusted....

Sorry to bombard with pics - not sure which background works best for the gallery pics...

QCPfhtl.jpg

c0KtgvE.jpg

hmg9uws.jpg

5WCZ8yX.jpg

U1dqL26.jpg

jOJwkOl.jpg

Blue background does weird stuff with the red so tried a beige background....

D7ymOAI.jpg

mTavKs0.jpg

Q26zNMd.jpg

8srDaXF.jpg

1qEzHWV.jpg

GuPVXj9.jpg

j2UAjes.jpg

B0UjfkM.jpg

55vAYnm.jpg

• Like 7

• Tim Moff changed the title to The Other Tim's 1/48 Airfix Canberra PR9 - modelled as Shorts SC.9 XH132 Royal Aircraft Establishment, visiting RAF Wyton 1884 - paint scheme RAE ‘Raspberry Ripple’