trumpeter missouri 1/200 with full pontos

cheers guy's appreciate the sentiment , decided to finish the AA guns .

only managed to get 8 of the 11 pieces on the 20 mm guns , I lost just too many parts . but in the end I doubt you will be able to tell .

spacer.png

spacer.png

these came out better .

spacer.png

• Like 8

Gidday Steve, those AA guns are exquisite. They're very well done. Now if you could just shrink them down to 1/600 for me I'll take a dozen of each, please. 😁

Seriously, they're very good. And as the ship was covered in them they'll enhance the model considerably, I think. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Great job Steve, and in mass production!

Must have been a daunting prospect.. 

I do always advocate that modelling is the greatest form of therapy out there. 

Best wishes,

Guy

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your wife, I lost mine 6 years ago and modelling certainly helped in the aftermath.

20mm are looking really good.  Still undecided what to do for the Iowa, I have the Pontos set but I also have half a dozen 3D printed 20mm which look fantastic and just require painting but it'll cost rather a lot of money to get enough...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

sorry I took so long in posting , been a bit busy . but I eventually got the chain deck down and painted , then found out how many times I glued my fingers to it . so a bit of sanding had to be done , also the blue wasn't dark enough . MM paints aren't available in australia any more , I had MM dark blue it was just too blue , I found I had a bottle of dark sea blue , so I am going to try it .

spacer.png

• Like 1

Great work going into this so far, built a few of these in smaller scale and the monotony of tortuous 20mm mount building is an exercise in concentration! 

I think your deck blue needs to be darker. It's hard to get consistency over such a large area (the quarterdeck in 1/200 must be like trying to paint a football field 😮) but if you can mix in a few drops of black / dark grey it'll match the look a bit better. I once used Tamiya Sea Blue (if that's what you're using) and it's probably not far off in smaller scales but Colourcoats enamel 20-B Deck Blue is your best bet, unless enamels aren't your thing. 

Edit: I just had a closer look at your photos in zoom, it's probably not far off, maybe it's the light reflection making it look lighter. 

• Like 1

Now that blue looks much better, I like the hue, but I don't know about it's accuracy. Ah just seen Alan's reply, I think that's a good bet (I really like that range and Jamie's detailed research should mean that it's the most accurate).

I've been watching the battleship New Jersey YouTube channel recently, some of which are quite interesting, but not much help here: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC_Ftxa2jwg8R4IWDw48uyBw

David

• Like 1