trumpeter missouri 1/200 with full pontos

my new build , it's a bigun the missouri 1/200 with pontos , I nearly didn't get the pontos kit , after being ripped off by them on the bismarck , but i found an american gent who built this kit with their PE , it's a full build log ,so I decided to try and follow him .

spacer.png

the P E on the left came with the kit .

spacer.png

the frets are sorted

spacer.png

the bow needs to be attached

spacer.png

it comes in two halves

spacer.png

told you its a bigun

spacer.png

• Like 11

Gidday Steve, I think these were the longest battleships ever built. Way back in high school (nearly five decades ago) I scratch built the USS North Carolina to a similar scale. That model was only 40 inches long, tiny by comparison to your kit here. 🙂 I've got one in 1/700, although I'd like to do her in 1/600. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

that thing is so huge I'd need to invest in a new house first.

Nah, just knock an internal wall out and use two rooms. That would be a lot cheaper. 😁 Regards again, Jeff.

• Like 1

been told this ship had a bulbous bow , I've had a go at sculpting one , no laughing in the back seats , it needs some more work , but getting there .

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

this is the image I tried to copy'

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 7

thought i would have a play with some of the guns , this could take a while , 50 on the left , 30 on the right , with lots of parts , see you when i get sick of it ,

spacer.png

I did notice their was a lip around the forward gun station , so I added some styrene to it. can anyone tell me what purpose the middle hole served . it look's like  a mooring point , but where does the rope or chain go too ?

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 3

Gidday Steve, good luck with those light AA guns, the 20mm and 40mm. 

Regarding the hull aperture you mentioned, I'm not cluey on USN practices but my guess is it would be for towing or berthing, it being the equivalent of a bullring. If being towed one of the anchors could be disconnected from the cable (anchor chain), the towing hawser passed through this aperture and connected to the free end of the anchor cable. The cable then fed out through the aperture, and secured with Blake slips, as with anchoring. If berthing then the hawser is fed through the aperture and secured on a set of bollards. As I said, this is just a guess on my part, but it could be plausible. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 3

Hello Steve. Yes Arnold is correct in his guess. When the Iowa was towed from San Francisco to LA. The tow chain, which in this case, was the actual anchor chain. One end was wound around the casptan, then held in place with three(3) or four(4) stoppers on the Iowa passed through and directly attached to the tug. I have photos, unfortunately, I am unaware of how to post them.

It's also used for securing to a buoy.  Break one of the the anchor cables and hold it on its stoppers, Then pass the anchor cable with a "Securing to buoy shackle" on the end and attach that to the buoy. 

• Like 1

The hole does in fact can be used for the reasons so far in the various posting and also for a chain the runs from a small casptan on the deck through the hole and attaches and is attached to the bulbous bow. I do have three 3 photos tat show this arrangement. Being somewhat a "Computer Neanderthal" as my granddaughter calls my I haven't the knowledge yet to post photographs but is you care to send me your email address I can send you a few more then just the just the 3 images  My email address is

rtorgeson at Olypen .com  

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 11:33, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Nah, just knock an internal wall out and use two rooms. That would be a lot cheaper. 😁 Regards again, Jeff.

I live in London, I doubt the neighbours would be pleased with a ship sticking into their bedroom after I knock an 'internal' wall out...

The bow looks good too, something else I will have to fix on the Wisconsin then.

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cheers mick . 

finally got all 520 pieces of the PE cut off and bent for the 20mm AA guns , can start putting things together .

spacer.png

also bought a tamiya mini PE bender , and I am very glad I did , made life a lot easier .

spacer.png

• Like 6

Steve - Good job with the bow - I had to do a double take at the size of the hull - Wow!

Good luck withe 520 pieces for the pea-shooters - 3D parts as an alternative would I'm sure set you back a princely sum :nodding:

Looking forwards to this with interest

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Very sorry to hear this sad news Steve My sincere condolences to you and your family hope they are there to give you all the support you will need to get through this sad time.

Keith

• Like 1