Mecheria Airfield, Algeria - the Sand War - October 1963

Tim R-T-C

spacer.png

Ah go on, lets make one final vignette for this GB.

The first military act of a newly independent Algeria in September and October 1963 was to defend itself from incursion by Morocco over disputed border territories - like so many post-colonial regions, once purely administrative and so vaguely defined boundaries became matters of national pride and identity.

Algeria's nascent air force included MiG-15bis donated by Egypt (probably of 1955 Czech origin) and Mi-4 helicopters, some from Egypt, others delivered in crates from the USSR.

The Tom Cooper book Showdown in Western Sahara on warfare in this region has a photo during this conflict of MiGs and Mils based at Mecheria Airfield, Algeria so that is what I will be basing this scene on.

At the southern edge of the inhabited coastal region of Algeria, the airfield was built and used by French colonial forces and I have found some photos of a well established airfield in the 1950s, but from the accounts in the book it was largely abadoned at the time of the conflict with minimal facilities.

spacer.png

The MiG is of ccourse going to be in metallic - in reality, aluminium ppodwe infused clear lacquer over the bare metal. I purchased the MikroMir Yak-11 kit to get the right early Algerian winged rroundel as no-one makes a suitable AM sheet. 

For the Mil I can't find a colour profile, but a photo shows an Algerian model carrying the iconic blue lighting flash on the upper body side much like this Egyptian profile found online, so I will be basing the colours on this.

spacer.png

Fortunately I picked up the Eastern Express civilian boxing of the Mi-4 which does include a decal for this stripe and the upper nose colouring too.

• Like 5

spacer.png

Looting decals from kits in the stash. Oddly both from MikroMir Yakovlev models.

For the winged roundels I used the Yak-11, while for the serial number the Yak-23 donated a handy numeral.

• Like 3

Started on the Mi-4. Slightly weird kit with several clear parts to combine to make the canopy area. Needed a lot of glue to get the tail together. Since it will getting sprayed white I'll order the canopy masks.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Chopper progress.

The masks were great on the flat windscreen panels and lower windows but did not work on the domed windows. Fortunately a careful scrape with enamel thinners cleared them up mostly.

spacer.png

• Like 3

And finally my fourth GB entry is complete!

Mecheria Airfield, Algeria, November 1963. During the Sand War against Morocco a MiG mechanic tries to scrounge spare parts from a supply truck without much success...

IMG_20210618_202539_832.jpg

IMG_20210618_202539_869.jpg

IMG_20210618_202539_863.jpg

IMG_20210618_202539_861.jpg

IMG_20210618_202539_858.jpg

IMG_20210618_202539_847.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I just came across this in the gallery and it's a great little diorama with an interesting back story as well.

Great job. 

• Like 1