Tamiya Churchill Mk VIII - 1/35

Hi all - I've been wanting to have a crack at an armour build for some time now - I bought a few kits and finally took the plunge with this one - this older tamiya kit was acquired cheap from a friend - I decided to build it out of the box, figuring that if I made a mess of it, I wouldn't be out of pocket too badly. I had fun building it - I was a little surprised how different the experience was compared to my usual aircraft kits - in that it's totally different requiring a very different skill set - especially in relation to the paint and weathering. But I had fun. It also gave me the excuse to paint some figures which, I enjoy but am not that good at. 

jVMtcTR.jpg

QKGZFO2.jpg

Kpgsgk8.jpg

zQQGkHG.jpg

pCS7v37.jpg

DYsKcz2.jpg

Cheers

John

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fittedkitchens said:

Cool!

The Churchill is just such a weird looking tank, one of my favs.

That's a great result you got there, the paintwork and fading is class. The track marks through the grass is a good touch.

Catchy way of describing it. :D 
AFAIK, the Churchill was a child of the aftermath of WW1 and is perhaps to be seen a "modernised" version of the rhomboid tank.
But it proved a great machine.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments guys 😊

On 5/31/2021 at 7:44 PM, Stef N. said:

Great work John. Lovely vignette and the figures have a great, naturalistic pose to them. Nice one.👍

thanks Stef - the figures aren’t half bad considering they came with the kit. I like that they’re smiling and having a laugh - not your typical brooding types. 

On 5/31/2021 at 11:17 PM, IanC said:

Excellent work. The figures are great too.

What did you use for the grass?

Static grass applied with a cheap applicator bought from China. I used a few different shades and lengths - I don’t have much experience with this but was happy how it turned out. 

On 5/31/2021 at 11:48 PM, Trevor L said:

Fabulous tank and figures.

Should the text be 'through' rather than 'though'?

thanks Trevor - yes you correctly spotted a typo. I will have to correct it. Wasn’t overly happy with the plate so it’s all good. 

13 hours ago, Steben said:

Catchy way of describing it. :D 
AFAIK, the Churchill was a child of the aftermath of WW1 and is perhaps to be seen a "modernised" version of the rhomboid tank.
But it proved a great machine.

Yes, it’s also why I love the Churchill- you can see the lineage through from the ww1 Tanks - big tracks and heavy armour. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/9/2021 at 1:41 AM, Muchmirth said:

Hey this is very good. Really like the weathering and description on the base. How did you do the writing on the base?

Sorry for the late reply - I drew up the plate in photoshop, printed it off on my cheapie inkjet and pasted it on to the styrene sheet. You could use Microsoft word or something similar to do this. Easy as. 

• Thanks 1