1/72 - Lockheed U-2A/C Dragon Lady by HobbyBoss - U-2A & C released

Homebee

On 8/1/2021 at 8:12 PM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I'm really surprised by as many as three paint schemes and the fact that they are not exactly the same apart from the serial number. I hope the 150+ parts justify the rather high price - it's about $55 on HLJ.

By the way, more than 150 parts in a U-2 kit is quite an achievement.

I think the alleged hefty price tag is going to be a sign of the times. I have previously bought quite a few kits directly from suppliers in the Far East but I've noticed that kits (especially those from China) are gradually increasing in price so I am being a little more circumspect. Many suppliers are now not shipping to my part of the world (fallout from the COVID-19 situation) and some of those that are have also ramped up their shipping costs. Once I add customs and duty to all of this, the project becomes cost prohibitive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

I think the alleged hefty price tag is going to be a sign of the times.

Plastic prices have gone up a lot over the past several months. Paper and printing also cost more, and even cardboard boxes are noticeably more expensive too.

18 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

I have previously bought quite a few kits directly from suppliers in the Far East but I've noticed that kits (especially those from China) are gradually increasing in price

A few years ago, buying models in China was very cost-effective, even if you added in the cost of shipping and customs fees. Just today I checked how much it costs to buy an F-14 from GWH in 1/72 after all these increases, and it turned out that I got the model at a local shop cheaper than the price and shipping. And that's before customs fees are added.

Coming back to the U-2 - I don't know why Hobby Boss wrote about 150 parts, when the instructions and the frames show that there are not that many parts. If it is not a mistake, perhaps there will be further versions and this number of parts applies also to parts for other versions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2021 at 6:05 AM, Tiger331 said:

Once I add customs and duty to all of this, the project becomes cost prohibitive. 

UNFORTUNATELY, that's the new reality we'll have to confront and who knows for how long!!

Everything that comes from Asia will have a significant increase in cost.

However, for those of us that have a considerable stock (and I'm being modest here!) this will not make any difference except the cost of accessories and materials. The cost for these things will certainly increase.

Personally, I'm looking right now to buy all the aftermarket stuff that I need for the models' stock that I have. After that.... only glue, paints, etc.

The funny thing is that many many years ago people used to tell me that I have an expensive hobby. Oh boy, little did they know how 'cheap' it was back then (I'm talking 12 years ago)!!!

• Like 1

Hi All,

I've received the kit this morning.  I've checked the parts and compare with parts from Airfix and Academy kits.  At first sight, the length of the fuselage and wingspan are the same, but the fuselage belly is slightly different and not as flat as the Airfix and Academy offerings.  For the quest of accuracy, I only have drawings published in an issue of Aviatsiya I Vremya (Aviation and Time).  I have to find it and compare the kit with the drawings....  I don't know if there are official drawings from Lockheed somewhere ?

Edited by Violet Club
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Violet Club said:

I don't know if there are official drawings from Lockheed somewhere ?

Due to the secretive nature of the real article, I'd be very, *very* surprised if there were. 

Cheers,

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

The U-2A kit has 66 parts over 4 main sprues and 2 clear sprues. Im no U-2 expert but the kit looks good for a U-2A to me unlike the recent AFV club 1/48 one. The RRP from the UK importer Creative Models is £32.99, its up to each modeller to decide if its worth the price or not, IMHO it is.

Julien

Hi all

I have gone out on a limb and bought this kit, even though I thought the fuselage looked fat in the photo's. I have compared the hobby boss fuselage to the Airfix kit and I'm happy to say they are the same, I can only hope that the kit builds as good as it looks.

AMMENDMENT.

I took the fuselage off the sprue this evening and offered it side by side to the Airfix offering, as I said they are the same length and width however there is a difference at the saddle I.E across the top of the wings, the hobby boss kit is lacking a little in shape definition to the spine of the aircraft just making it seem broad across the shoulders. The very tip of the nose has a slight up turn to it as well, I'm sorry but I don't know a lot about the dimensions of the aircraft to know which kit is the more accurate. 

Hope this helps a few of you make your decisions.

Regards Glenn.

Edited by cardiff guy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

There was some question about blue being used on early U-2s; here's "Kelly" Johnson in front of a U-2C.  

9kDBXaB.jpg

I received the kit today, and unfortunately it is lacking the "Q Bay" under the fuselage where the cameras were mounted.

AXz08sZ.jpg

Regards,

Murph

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2022 at 23:24, Murph said:

There was some question about blue being used on early U-2s; here's "Kelly" Johnson in front of a U-2C.  

9kDBXaB.jpg

Wearing his matching U-2 blue suit,  I received my kit today, the inserts in the wings where the slipper tanks go are a good fit, pity about the lack of a Q bay though. (As Murph mentioned)

The plans are a bit iffy, they tell you in step 1 to open the 2 holes on the upper fuselage but do not tell you to fit the electronics fairing (part D 4) into them or to remove the ECM fairing on the starboard wing trailing edge.

My only reference material is the Squadron/Signal U-2 in action, dated 1988, which only mentions that the CIA/ early aircraft were painted flat black, so thanks for all the colour info.

Never mind, onwards and sideways.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:24 PM, Murph said:

I received the kit today, and unfortunately it is lacking the "Q Bay" under the fuselage where the cameras were mounted.

Wait, they've released a kit of one of the world's most famous spy planes, but forgot to represent the bit where the cameras go?!

Will

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Wait, they've released a kit of one of the world's most famous spy planes, but forgot to represent the bit where the cameras go?!

Will

Tis but a scratch.

8 hours ago, Violet Club said:

Let's hope to see some 1/72 resin/3D parts for use with the U-2, (cockpit, wheel bays and the Q-Bay !)

This is where a company like Shapeways (and some enterprising modeller with CAD competency) could help.  Cobra Company had done an early U-2 resin cockpit; I don't know if Lonestar Models picked it up when Cobra Company went out of business.

Regards,

Murph

There are a couple of things off with the model, please scroll down to my comments on the review thread (don't know how to link only specific quotes from a thread). I completely ignored the lack of Q-bay windows and configurations though :o ...

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed U-2A/C Dragon Lady by HobbyBoss - U-2A released - U-2C in September 2022
  • 1 month later...

A shameless advertisement 😁 for my booklet about the external differences of the small wing U'2s, that may interest some of you here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235097053-v12-is-out-the-many-guises-of-the-dragon-lady-a-tentative-guide-to-external-differences-of-small-wings-u-2s/

Edited by kekelekou
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed U-2A/C Dragon Lady by HobbyBoss - U-2A & C released
4 minutes ago, Hook said:

Interesting to see the Taiwanese markings. I'd have wagered these would be considered somewhat sensitive for a Chinese company these days.

Pay attention on how the insignia is given - cut to pieces the same way some manufacturers in Europe give swastika 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hook said:

Interesting to see the Taiwanese markings. I'd have wagered these would be considered somewhat sensitive for a Chinese company these days.

Cheers,

Andre

28 minutes ago, Pin said:

Pay attention on how the insignia is given - cut to pieces the same way some manufacturers in Europe give swastika 

Exactly!

• Like 1