1/72 - Lockheed U-2A/C Dragon Lady by HobbyBoss - U-2A & C released

Homebee

Gary Powers U-2 was painted matt dark blue.  I can confirm this because I have seen the wreck of the plane displayed in the Central Army Forces Museum when I visited Moscow in 2012.

Edited by Violet Club
  • Like 3

I'm really surprised by as many as three paint schemes and the fact that they are not exactly the same apart from the serial number. I hope the 150+ parts justify the rather high price - it's about $55 on HLJ.

By the way, more than 150 parts in a U-2 kit is quite an achievement.

• Like 2

Although not shown on the kit's drawings I hope it includes the scoop for the engine exhaust. It will be interesting how they made it to 150 parts for such a simple design.

Regards

Robert

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert said:

It will be interesting how they made it to 150 parts for such a simple design.

They are talking about 6 sprues, so one for 6 transparent parts, maybe one for wings and another one for fuselage. That leaves 3 sprues and roughly 130 parts. I really can't imagine what they designed. The engine, cockpit interior and camera compartment?

• Like 1

I really hope that the kit will be accurate and that the camera compartment will be included (like in the 1/48th AFV Club kit).  I also hope that other U-2 versions will be released in 1/72 (B, C, D, R , S and TR-1)

1 hour ago, Violet Club said:

I also hope that other U-2 versions will be released in 1/72 (B, C, D, R , S and TR-1)

The first three would not take much changes, but from the R on it would need an entirely new mold.

Although superficially similar, about the only identical part first and second gen U-2 is the concept, just like, for instance, the T-38 and F-5F. 

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

👍

Silly me! How could I forget that!! 😉😂.

Did we not actually use to get regular contributions from a guy who was almost infamous for his "red lines"?

John

No he was banned.  Let not totally rubbish the kit until someone gets it eh!

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Will make an interesting pairing with the recent HB SA-2 Guideline.

Like a fine red, with filet mignon, perhaps?  Or the other way around?  I can't imagine the amount of PE bending needed to create a FAN SONG E, though.  Or maybe they used the earlier FAN SONG version to shoot down those U-2s over China and FGP's over the USSR!  That would be a little easier on the eyes.  But I digress from the thread....too tempting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Like a fine red, with filet mignon, perhaps?  Or the other way around?  I can't imagine the amount of PE bending needed to create a FAN SONG E, though.  Or maybe they used the earlier FAN SONG version to shoot down those U-2s over China and FGP's over the USSR!  That would be a little easier on the eyes.  But I digress from the thread....too tempting.

I already have an SA-2 by Gran on display with a F-100F and F-105G as part of my Vietnam collection.  The HB version is much better though.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 6:34 PM, Homebee said:

Well...

A - 6 parts
B - 12 parts
C - 37 parts
D - 10 parts
E - ?
F - 3 parts
G - 3 parts

Six sprues indeed but only 71 parts. Sprue E will apparently include parts for another version. At the same time, HB still writes about 150+ parts, so is that the number of parts for the entire project of different versions of the U-2?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/08/2021 at 20:13, TheyJammedKenny! said:

https://hobbyterra.com/search.php?&keywords=SNR-75 FAN SONG

https://hobbyterra.com/product/snr-75-fan-song-zz-modell-72012.html

https://modelsua.com/snr-75-fan-song-radar-1-72.html

https://hobbyterra.com/product/snr-75-fan-song-f-zz-modell-72013.html

https://modelsua.com/snr-75-fan-song-f-radar-dvina-1-72-zz72013.html

FS.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2021 at 11:28 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

Just a passing thought but,  might it not be better to have the actual kit in our actual hands before trying rubbishing it?

John

Totally agree......let's wait folks

• Like 1