Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4 - #FINISHED#

I had forgotten that I had signed up for this, but a timely reminder from Col had me checking through the kit pile only to find that it was somewhat lacking in 109's. The only thing suitable that I have in at the moment are the remnants of a Mark I 2 in 1 boxing of the Bf 109G-4 having built one of them previously, probably as a failed attempt for a Blitzbuild. I have something else on the way but I thought that this would make an ideal gap filler until that arrives.

51212526432_40f5bc0a2a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51214007099_54aebc66be_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51214006889_79765ece6f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Here is the one that I finished a while ago.

51213456758_ab7d19eb8b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51214307310_e1ff01e7a1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51212526832_9b78dc3bf8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 13

Hi John,

nice things come in small packages... but that small?!

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 3

Any 109 kit is valid John and this one equaly so as any other. Your first one of the pairing is a cracker so sure the second will be just as good :)

• Like 1

Hi John,

A 109 in any scale is a good scale, and your mastery of 1:144 will no doubt be demonstrated yet again! But which markings? Tunisia? ^_^

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 30/05/2021 at 21:37, jean said:

Hi John,

nice things come in small packages... but that small?!

Have fun!

JR

They sure do Jean, and without a 24hour deadline I hope that I can make a better job of it. It will be a bit of a shock returning to 1/144 from 1/48 scale though.

On 31/05/2021 at 01:06, stevehnz said:

That one above looks very grown up John, I'm sure this one will too, you get a really good result with these tiddlers. :)

Steve

Thanks Steve, they make up nicely and I am getting quite a nice collection small scale German WW2 aircraft. When I have finished this I will get them together for a group photo. :)

18 hours ago, Col. said:

Any 109 kit is valid John and this one equaly so as any other. Your first one of the pairing is a cracker so sure the second will be just as good :)

Cheers Col, I have another couple of kits on the way, Special Hobby's new 109E will be the first of the two to be built, I still have to read up some more to see if the Me 209 is an acceptable development of the 109, and if it is then I will try to squeeze that one in too.

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi John,

A 109 in any scale is a good scale, and your mastery of 1:144 will no doubt be demonstrated yet again! But which markings? Tunisia? ^_^

Cheers,

Cheers Charlie, the Tunisia markings will be my option for this build - I don't have any 109's from the North Africa campaign.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers Col, I have another couple of kits on the way, Special Hobby's new 109E will be the first of the two to be built, I still have to read up some more to see if the Me 209 is an acceptable development of the 109, and if it is then I will try to squeeze that one in too.

Developments from the 109 design such as the 209 are fine by me. All part of the story.

• Like 1

OK folks time to get started on this one. The original kit has no interior detail but Mark 1 provide a small resin insert with a seat and simple instrument panel which is an adequate representaion in this scale, although Brengun make etch sets for Mark 1's G-10 and K-4 kits with details for the cockpit, undercarriage doors and plenty of other bits and pieces some of which could probably be used to further enhance this kit.

The first job in this instance is to remove part of the sidewall to accomodate the resin part, after I have done the same thing to the opposite side I will have to thin the sidewalls some more to get the fuselage halves to close around it.

This photo shows the original part at the top, the resin insert in the middle and the first stage of modifying one fuselage half at the bottom.

51219351874_d8b16846e7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

I have moved this along a bit more over the past couple of hours, the fuselage sides have been trimmed and scraped to accept the resin cockpit insert and once that was done the parts were brushed over with some Dust Grey acrylic (Revell Aquacolor 77) which I think is dark enough in this scale. The cockpit part also had a small piece of streched sprue glued in the premarked location to represent the control column, and I made some seat straps from 0.5mm masking tape.The fuselage halves were then glued together, that will allow me to add the resin cockpit once everything has set up.

51227499734_65c5a5d417_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51227805065_4be500d9f2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51227805210_d13cd0cb30_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Meanwhile the wings have had the two resin blisters glued to the upper surface and a quick test fit of wings and fuselage shows that a small amount of filler will be needed.

51226949598_98d5ebdfb0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51227499644_8de14fd4ea_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51227805625_73743b361f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I'll tidy up the fuselage later, then glue the cockpit and wings in place and once I have cleaned up those joins it should be ready for some paint.

John

• Like 6

I have glued the wing assembly and tailplanes on, and after a small amount of filling I cleaned up the joins them fixed the canopy in place. I thought I would try a different approach with painting this one, so after masking the canopy I gave it a thin coat of black from a rattle can, I may leave it at that because I rather like the night-fighter look. :winkgrin:

51241102295_d2d9ee912f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

51240250588_226fc5341f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was able to get some Hataka Orange Line RLM78 Light Blue on the fuselage sides and undersides later on Friday evening, but I did not get much done yesterday. Earlier today I masked off in readiness for the RLM 79 upper colour using a combination of Tamiya tape and Blu-tac.

51245382050_524a6d668b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51243611467_af6fde054d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51244323501_57c879a650_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Whilst the RLM 79 was drying I copied the painting instructions to make some paper masks. After using those to mask off the brown areas I sprayed RLM 80 over the wings and tailplanes.

51244521978_c99457743e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51243611752_ae72fa065f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And here it is with everything unmasked, next job will be the detail painting before I start adding the decals.

51243611807_719030aecd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51243611872_6e0297b5ef_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51245087249_7775d4d351_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John.

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Looks pretty Good to me John.

Thanks Charlie. I have painted the fuselage band with white and brushed some on the wingtips and rudder tonight. There are a couple of areas where it has crept under the tape that will need to be neatened up before I move on to the undercarriage bays.

John

I painted the white areas last night and tidied up the spots where the paint had crept under the tape this morning. I then continued painting other details before adding the undercarriage legs. I think that it's ready for some decals now.

John

51246616953_4df4442719_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51247174604_472951740d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

Tidy progress John. That last photo gives a good sense of just how tiny this model is and how good your work is.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 16:09, Col. said:

Tidy progress John. That last photo gives a good sense of just how tiny this model is and how good your work is.

Cheers Col. There seems to be some discrepancy with markings for this one though, the paint instructions with my kit are shown below but online images show some yellow involved and with photos of the actual aircraft proving difficult to find I think that I will have to forego accuracy and make some sort of compromise. Revell has a similar scheme to Mark 1's but with yellow under the nose, whilst Eduard's version of this aircraft shows some yellow on the rudder and under the nose but with no white on the upper surface of the wings. 

51250579310_0cedfcd376_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

For this build I am going to follow Revell's example and add some yellow under the nose, simply because it is the easier option for this lazy modeller. My first step was to add a base colour in preparation for the yellow. There has been a lot of heavy recommendation from certain quarters here on Britmodeller for using pink as a base colour under yellow, red etc. I can't remember where that came from at the moment, but I am sure that they will be along shortly promoting their preferred option for pink primer again, won't you @Hockeyboy76 .:rofl:

Now I think that pink should only be used on certain Spitfires and Lady Penelope's FAB 1, but because I was painting over blue I didn't want the yellow colour to turn out with a greenish look, so I thought that I would give it a shot on this little 109 and mixed up a suitable shade to act as the base layer. 

51250579380_81c04e0948_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

I will put the yellow on tomorrow, once I have recovered from the shock of using pink as a primer layer. :winkgrin:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Have painted the yellow under the nose this morning, I was able to get the decals on during the course of the afternoon, so one final push to refine some of the details and the addition of a couple of others that are missing should see this over the line during the next day or two.

51251603858_8f8be7ea11_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51252451995_7c73886659_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Wot? No pictures of the yellow nose? No praise to the power of primer of pink?

:rofl: You can just about see the yellow under the nose in the lower photo, and Citadel Flash Gitz Yellow still looks like Flash Gitz Yellow whether it is over white or pink to me. :bleh: 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Wot? No pictures of the yellow nose?

I was just thinking the same thing! But the photos are great, as is the model. Looks really nice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Johnson said:

But the photos are great, as is the model. Looks really nice.

Thanks Charlie, and just to keep H @Hockeyboy76 happy, here's a shot of a dead 109G-4 and you can clearly see its yellow underside on the nose section. :lol: I will admit to having to use fewer coats over the pink base for the yellow topcoat, though I might just try using a flesh tone should the need arise again.

51252325752_ef7bee5d2a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Haha 3