Captured Bf 109E

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to join with a Tamiya 1/48 Bf109E in British livery. AE 479.

9izgDe1.jpg

As you can see from the pic, I've been doing some researching into the markings.  I'm going to print the AE479 on the laser printer and source out decals or cut out insignia stencils.

The kit is old, so it could be the one with the wonky nose.

Does anyone know which boxing has the wonky nose?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CanadaMoe said:

The kit is old, so it could be the one with the wonky nose.

I wasn't aware the Tamiya had a wonky nose. So I went in search of it. Apparently the upper nose from intakes to spinner is too shallow, should be a steeper angle. 

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/luft/me/109/109e.htm

Scott aken usually does good reviews. 

3 hours ago, CanadaMoe said:

The original E-3,  Tamiya later retooled it, all the E-4/7 kits have the new nose.  I think the revised  E-3 say 'made in the Phillipines'.   A quick search has not turned up confirmation of this.   I'll add in details if I can find them.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are natural seams down the top and bottom of the 109E fuselage?

Or direct me to any website that have good reference(s).

I'm piecing together the cockpit and will soon close up the fuselage half.

Thanks for looking,

Moe

So far as I understand the rear fuselage was constructed of half sections joined together along the top and bottom so yes there are seams.

• Like 1

Not only that, but the seam was not central.  There was a joggle on one side so that the other overlapped so that there was a visible discontinuity but no step between them..  I don't recall which side the gap appeared but it was only a small offset. 

@col and @Graham Boak  Thanks for the information. I'll leave a seam from the cockpit back to the tail. But, I wouldn't offset the seam.

I don't think there's a seam forward of the cockpit, both on top and underneath?

Thanks again.

Maybe German aircrafts are easier to build.... less seam filling... 😝😃

On 13/06/2021 at 05:55, CanadaMoe said:

Or direct me to any website that have good reference(s).

the 109 Lair, http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index1024.htm

look at the sidebar. 

I have seen pics of a recovered 109 that shows the fuselage seam really well, but I'll have to search those up....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CanadaMoe said:

Just a quick update.

zY0ZdhO.jpg

You should do the instrument faces in black, dry brush white/light grey, and the glaze them with gloss clear.   While the 109E cockpit was RLM O2, as per the rest of the cockpit, but the panel was RLM 66 black grey

museum example, but gives a good idea

2267875114_549b67b65b_c.jpgBf 109 E (cockpit and canopy details #5) by GLORY. The largest archive of german WWII images, on Flickr

Also, try a dark wash,  if you have them dark grey or burnt umber oil paint, thin with lighter fuel,  very thin, very fast drying wash.  Experiment on scrap first though.    

HTH

• Like 2

Thanks Tony for the suggestion and picture of the IP.

(I think I forgot to paint the IP before drybrushing. The Tamiya plastic is close to RLM 02{to my aging eyes} [if you look at the edge of the IP the colour of the plastic is the same as the unpainted plastic], so I just went ahead and drybrush. - My Bad!!  I'll see if I can airbrush some black on it.)

• Like 1

I got out the airbrush, and thinned down the (black) paint and shot away.....then dry brushed with a light grey, and re highlighted with a white colour pencil.

Here's the result.

Thank you again to Troy for his assistance.

UEv1idp.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

It is with great regret that I am unable to finish this build.

I am at the point where the upper wings are on, lower wings need to be attached and then paint.

(one month vacation and kids getting ready for in person learning has kept me busy. I WILL when school starts be able to finish and post.)

I'd like say THANK YOU!! to janneman36 for his generosity in sending me the decals. I promise they will be use.

With regrets....

Moe

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CanadaMoe said:

It is with great regret that I am unable to finish this build.

I am at the point where the upper wings are on, lower wings need to be attached and then paint.

(one month vacation and kids getting ready for in person learning has kept me busy. I WILL when school starts be able to finish and post.)

I'd like say THANK YOU!! to janneman36 for his generosity in sending me the decals. I promise they will be use.

With regrets....

Moe

Its more about fun than finishing in my book. If you had fun thats all that matters. We’ll keep an look out for more work. 

• Like 1