B.U.F.F. - B-52H Stratofortress Modelcollect 1/72

Good morning guys, thanks for the many replies and the kind words.

15 hours ago, Hook said:

Looking good so far! Incidentally, last week I treated myself to the Daco book on the BUFF - a very nice reference indeed.

Cheers,

Andre

Yeah, Daco books are great, loots of good reference pics which are hard to find in other ways.

14 hours ago, David H said:

Looks great so far. I really like that 1970s- vintage SIOP paint scheme.

Those colours weathered in various ways, and with the skin rippling and touch-up paint you can make a camouflage scheme look visually complex and interesting.

The 1970s-vintage Koku Fan "Famous Airplanes of the World" volume on the B-52 sold me on it.

I used to have all of the DB conversions for the Monogram kit back in the day, but i didn't have to tools and skills to effectively use them 😕

Absolutely my opinion, the SIOP scheme suits the Buff best of all. The DB stuff looks great, sure its way more accurate than the details from the Modelcollect kit. You should give it another try...

14 hours ago, SallysDad said:

Your BUFF is comming along and is looking great.

It has been a favourite plane of mine, along with the RA-5C.

Looking forward to you putting on the paint. It will look really good.

Randy

Vigilante is also a really nice bird, but never build one in my modelling career.

13 hours ago, dnl42 said:

This looks fabulous! It's going to be huge!

I love all the detail you're adding. :worthy:

Which Portrait is this? The plastic looks to be 1/4 mm or thicker; did your Portrait cut through? I have the original, it can only scribe plastic.

Is that Silhouette's SW? I use Inkscape and the inkscape-silhouette extension.

I got the Silhouette Portrait 2 and the software from Silhouette. The plastic was a 0,25mm, it didn´t cut through it but with a 0,13mm plastic it worked in the past. I used a sharp blade to finish the cuts and it worked fine.

Cheers

Daniel

• Like 2

The windshield only needs very little filling and sanding to sit proper in it´s place.

Last little gaps were filled with Mr.Surfacer 1000.

41466955qq.jpg

41466956lq.jpg

Modelcollect didn´t pay any attention to the refueling receptacle and the plate whiche closes the little overhead window on the B-52G and -H.

41466957eh.jpg

It´s done, next will be the main fuselage, bomb bay and wheel wells.

41466958yr.jpg

Greetings from very hot🥵 Austria.

• Like 14

20 hours ago, Thom216 said:

10% DUN! Now for the other 90!

I would call it at least 20% 😄, but you're right it's still a long way.

16 hours ago, SallysDad said:

That is looking really good.

Thx👍

12 hours ago, David H said:

Rock Hudson's Sock Drawer! That looks Fantastic!!

Rod Taylor would approve too.

-d-

Thx too. To my shame I have to admit that I had to google it first😆, but now I have ordered the film👍.

• Haha 1

First time I've seen this being built I'll be following for sure and it'll be interesting to see what you do to the rest of the kit if you've already done this much detailing at the start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2021 at 18:16, Deano353 said:

First time I've seen this being built I'll be following for sure and it'll be interesting to see what you do to the rest of the kit if you've already done this much detailing at the start.

No, there not much finished B-52s around, I know one on finescale.com and one on florymodels.org .

Hi guys,

i did some progress on the buff the last two weeks, managed to finish the bomb bay.

Started with an overview about the parts. The parts for the rotary launcher will not be used as the AGM-129 were only carried on the wing pylons.

41555453je.jpg

After some little modifications the parts for the bay were painted with Tamiya xf-19, the sidewals of the fuselage with interior green.

At the end everything was dry brushed and washed with thinned oil paint.

41555454qc.jpg

41555455gv.jpg

41555456kh.jpg

41555457gh.jpg

I reworked the supports for the launcher, they´re not perfect but better than from the box.
41555458yg.jpg

Some wires for the fuselage walls and then everything was put in place.

41555459tk.jpg

41555460dr.jpg

41555461af.jpg

Without the bomb bay doors the view inside is quite good but will be nearly impossible when the modell is finished and parked at the "apron".

41555462cm.jpg

41555463md.jpg

41555464yv.jpg

So long...

Daniel

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

I started work on the wheel wells and the undercarriage.

41612452vd.jpg

There are not much details on the parts for the bays. As it will be very hard to take a look inside at the end, I will not add all the stuff you can find on pictures, would be nearly impossible anyway.

41612453ys.jpg

The support structure for the four legs is nice molded and at least the lower part will be slightly visible at the end.

41612454gu.jpg

Modelcollect gives you four identical legs, all with the taxi lights molded to the piston. I removed them on all four and sanded the piston in shape. There are only two little spots to glue the legs to the structure, so I´m not sure if it will carry the weight of the finished modell.There is only little clueing points between the legs and the structure, so I´m not sure if it will carry the weight of the finished modell.

41612455rr.jpg

I used a piece of 1.5*1.5mm polystyrol to support the connection between legs and structure. One taxilight was added on the front starboard undercarriage.

41612456zk.jpg

A few cables and wires will be added before painting.

Regards

Daniel

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

It has been a while since the last update, can`t find much time for the buff the last few weeks. At least I managed to finish the wheel wells and complete the fuselage.

There seems to be a bunch of different color version for the wheel bays of the B-52H, I choosed a mix of zinc chromate, interior green and aluminum.

41921333fd.jpg

41921334hr.jpg

41921335wt.jpg

All together fits very well between the two center fuselage halves.

41921337lw.jpg

41921338zw.jpg

All four sections ready for ready for assembly. ...looks a bit like the boneyard of AMARG...😆

41921339ih.jpg

Again the fit of the very huge sections was very good, Modelcollect did a great job on the accuracy of fit, sad that the kit lacks details.

41921340mm.jpg

At the moment I´m working on the wings, especially on the spoilers which are very rude replicated.

Cheers

Daniel

• Like 15

Thanks, nice you like the little Defender. If you like, here are some more pics: https://www.modellmanufaktur-ll.at/galerie-daniel/md369ff-defender-ejército-de-chile/

Yeah, the B-52 is monstrous, itwill be the biggest modell I built in nearly 30 years of scale modelling.

• Like 2

You are doing a superb job! I like your fine detailing and painting.

I am following with a lot of interest, I've done an early SAC D (monogram) and I'd love to do an early G or H.

Modelcollect seems, to me, the best option. I think the overall shape it's much more correct than the AMT-Italeri.

Thank you for sharing your nice work!!

Thanks for your kind words Giovanni.

I also think that the overall shape of the Modelcollect kit is very good, except the two FLIR and camera housings under the nose.

The main issue with the kit is the lack of details in many areas. If you don´t mind this or you want to do the extra work, the kit is fine.

Next to the wings I also started with the engines.

Oob the are a bit low on details.

41954496gt.jpg

First I tried to improve the fans, using 1 mm stripes, again made with my Silhouette cutter.

41954497st.jpg

The parts for the inlets were also drawn and engraved with the cutter.

41954499ey.jpg

41954500od.jpg

What you see here was an afternoon full of work😣, I hope the remaining seven will go faster.

41954502mz.jpg

Comparison between oob and my scratch work. I think it will turn out good enough at the end.

41954504qr.jpg

41954506xl.jpg

Daniel

• Like 12

Did some small steps at the engines, the fans were painted and the nacelles were glued together. The cutted inlets were als glued in place and feeded up on the front to be sanded in form when dried.

41974646mn.jpg

41974647ec.jpg

Daniel

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
On 30/08/2021 at 18:24, _alfisti_ said:

Thanks for your kind words Giovanni.

I also think that the overall shape of the Modelcollect kit is very good, except the two FLIR and camera housings under the nose.

The main issue with the kit is the lack of details in many areas. If you don´t mind this or you want to do the extra work, the kit is fine.

Yes, over all, I think, I would be fine with the kit detail...I am a bit lucky on that since I am more interested in early 50s - 60s B-52 versions, so with less stuff on it, you know...chrome dome stuff etc...

Anyway you are doing a superb job with details, wiring, skin shrinking etc... it looks in 1/48 scale!! You have professional skills! I'm really looking forward for progress!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alan and Giovanni, realy appreciate your kind words.

In the last one two and a half month I saddley found not much time for the BUFF.

I only managed to spend some time filling and sanding the engines so I´m now near to the finish line with them.

As I´am planning to show the B-52 during a n alarm start with entering flight crew and some ground equipment, I opened a panel on one engine to plug in the GPU.

42495030ap.jpg

42495032ge.jpg

First layer of paint to find flaws on the scratched areas.

42495033rk.jpg

Some filling and sanding was required as you can se here.

42495031wz.jpg

This is the current status, i hope that everything is ok after a new paint job.

42495035go.jpg

Daniel

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

All streets ahead of my Monogram B52D made in the '80's

Had to bin it when we move into our smaller retirement bungalow

Still have 2 unmade in the loft So you can see I like BUFFs

Impressed by all your fine detail work.

'V'

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your kind answers.👍

On 04/12/2021 at 18:13, 'V' said:

Had to bin it when we move into our smaller retirement bungalow

Still have 2 unmade in the loft So you can see I like BUFFs

It's always a shame if you need to bin old modells, wished I have kept a few from my early days.But I also have absolutely nu clue were I will put the finished modell, maybe it will land at the attic at the end.

2 hours ago, SallysDad said:

Hope you are safe and well in Austria.

Yeah, everything's okay here, it sound worse than it is . If you act normal and follow some simple rules your quiet on the safe side.

In the last few days I managed to nearly finish the engines, only some small gaps between the pylons and the engine housings need to be filled.

To improve the exhausts I used wire end ferrules and painted them with Alclad Burnt Iron.

42587789cb.jpg

The belly of the engine nacelles lacks of any details, I only added two vents but there are a lot more to do if you wanted to be precise. For me thats enought, you won't see it anyway at the end.

42587790gr.jpg

On engine 3/4 there is an extra exhaust for the precooler from the air cycle machine.

42587792bh.jpg

And this is the status quo...

42587791ei.jpg

Daniel

• Like 6

You have done a brilliant job on the engines. It's one of those aspects on a B-52 that really should draw the viewer in (because there are so damned many of them), but its amazing how little effort kit manufacturers seem to want to make towards representing them.

-d-

• Thanks 1