B.U.F.F. - B-52H Stratofortress Modelcollect 1/72

Hi all.

After a while I will do a new wip thread.

I started the Modelcollect B-52H a few weeks ago.

41316536ue.png

That´s where it should go...

16268950931_11403d1e19_b.jpg60-0058 B-52H  410th Bomb Wing, K.I.Sawyer AFB, RAF Marham 5-6-79 by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, auf Flickr

Started with the most typical detail of the BUFF, the stressed skin on large areas of its fuselage.

41316418ws.jpg

41316419qs.jpg

41316420pm.jpg

41316421ax.jpg

41316422xh.jpg

41316423nw.jpg

I used a milling cutter from my Dremel and scribbed it by hand.

41316449fj.jpg

41316451ot.jpg

41316453sa.jpg

The kit looks quite nice but lacks details in many areas. On the rear for sample some panels and the ECM-antennas are missing.

41316467rn.jpg

Some other parts need to be changed for the early H-modell.

41316468bz.jpg

That´s it for the beginning, hope you like it so far.

Daniel

Edited by _alfisti_
  • Like 43

Hi guys,

nice to see you aboard.

10 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

The shape of the nose actually looks reasonably accurate?

Yeah indeed, Modelcollect only had the nose problem with their B-52G kit, this one is the same as the corrected G-version. But there still some little deficits in this area.

33 minutes ago, _alfisti_ said:

Hi guys,

nice to see you aboard.

Yeah indeed, Modelcollect only had the nose problem with their B-52G kit, this one is the same as the corrected G-version. But there still some little deficits in this area.

Its good to see they corrected the problems with the B52G. The 'H' looks very nice indeed!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, _alfisti_ said:

But there still some little deficits in this area.

...and there we go...

When I started rescriping the cockpit section, I came across the FLIR/TV fairings. Comparing to some pictures where you can clearly see the position of the lower emergency exits, they are way to small.

41319132mt.jpg

I covered them with stripes of plastic sheet and in my opinion it looks much better.

41319133ml.jpg

41319134hz.jpg

Next steps were filling, sanding, filling, sanding,...

41319158eg.jpg

41319159mq.jpg

41319160mc.jpg

In the end they are not 100% accurate but much better than the kit version.

41319164kw.jpg

41319165ha.jpg

Another little fault in the kit are some missing panel lines and some ending in the nowhere.

41319174ja.jpg

41319175ll.jpg

41319176ay.jpg

41319177wm.jpg

...so long..

Daniel

• Like 19

This is really good timing as I have just picked one of these up from a member on here. Will be following with much interest! 

I'll be building Deuces Wild which was the first operational B-52 I saw, at RIAT in 2017

Still hoping Modelcollect do a 'D' so I can build the example at Duxford 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

Rather sad that they got the shape of the fairings wrong, no excuse in this day and age! I have a one of the old DB conversions resin sets somewhere, from what I can see it would be better to just cut off the nose area in the kit and use that 

Edited by Whitewolf
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WV908 said:

This is really good timing as I have just picked one of these up from a member on here. Will be following with much interest! 

I'll be building Deuces Wild which was the first operational B-52 I saw, at RIAT in 2017

Still hoping Modelcollect do a 'D' so I can build the example at Duxford 

Cheers,

WV908

Looking forward for another B-52 build, so let's go😀. They announced one in 2018, don´t know what happend to it. I´m still waiting for their B-1B to come.

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nicely done on correcting those fairings.  I'm learning from your techniques!

Thanks🙂, the result isn´t 100% proper but anyway better than oob.

56 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

Rather sad that they got the shape of the fairings wrong, no excuse in this day and age! I have a one of the old DB conversions resin sets somewhere, from what I can see it would be better to just cut off the nose area in the kit and use that 

It´s not only the nose, but also some more details on the rear and as far as I saw yet on the wings.🤨

Using a conversion set will be the better option than my way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _alfisti_ said:

Looking forward for another B-52 build, so let's go😀. They announced one in 2018, don´t know what happend to it. I´m still waiting for their B-1B to come.

Thanks🙂, the result isn´t 100% proper but anyway better than oob.

It´s not only the nose, but also some more details on the rear and as far as I saw yet on the wings.🤨

Using a conversion set will be the better option than my way.

The DB conversion set was for the Monogram 1/72 B52D kit. If there are further errors it just compounds the problem. 

16 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

The DB conversion set was for the Monogram 1/72 B52D kit. If there are further errors it just compounds the problem. 

The rest is not that bad, the rear done in very less time, on the wings I think, only the spoilers need to be reworked. The biggest fault remains the nose, so if the set fits to the Modelcollect fuselage it will help you along anyway.

Next steps on the way to my BUFF are the details on the fuselage between cockpit and wings. The port side looks good so far, only an outlet needs to be closed. Starbord some more details needs a revision.

41338712oq.jpg

I started with the air inlets, drawed and cutted them with my Silhouette Plotter.

41338713jd.jpg

41338714rn.jpg

41338715ri.jpg

I think they look okay.

41338716gq.jpg

Daniel

• Like 19

I purchased two accessories sets, Eduard etched cockpit details and Master Vulcan barrel.

Started directly with the etched parts for the cockpit and the are worth their money.

41350408kf.jpg

Beside the Eduard parts, I did some scratch work in the cockpit as well.

41350406nm.jpg

41350407ta.jpg

41350409kn.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

I made some progress with the cockpit the last days. But it needed some more effort as I thought.

Modelcollect added four ACES II seats for the upper flighdeck, and two seats for the lower deck similar to the Weber seats that should be in there instead of the ACES II.

41379615cq.jpg

The good point is, you never see any more than the two seats in the front when the cockpit section is closed. So I started to rework the two Weber seats and forget the other four places.

41379616br.jpg

41379617ez.jpg

After painting I adapt the Eduard seatbelts and added release handles made from steel rod.

41379618eo.jpg

Test assembly in the cockpit and everything fits.

41379619ps.jpg

41379620kf.jpg

Have a nice evening everybody...

Daniel

Edited by _alfisti_
  • Like 17

Did the last few steps on the pit today, the remaining etched parts were put together.

The "jumpseat" was painted the same grey as the cockpit, the seat pad was made from tissue.

41386555dh.jpg

41386556ze.jpg

Ejection seats, instruments and the control horns completed the cockpit.

41386557uv.jpg

41386558jh.jpg

41386560xe.jpg

41386561cp.jpg

Daniel

• Like 11

Little progress on my BUFF, I finally put the fuselage halves together.  Some little gaps shows off, caused by the tight fit of the inlay and slightly warped halves.

41418416vx.jpg

41418417xd.jpg

41418418gl.jpg

On the inside of the window part, I added two curtains which are visible in most pictures behind the last side window.

41418419ib.jpg

After a layer of black paint the next step will be some putty for the windscreen.

41418420ap.jpg

Daniel

• Like 15

Looks great so far. I really like that 1970s- vintage SIOP paint scheme.

Those colours weathered in various ways, and with the skin rippling and touch-up paint you can make a camouflage scheme look visually complex and interesting.

The 1970s-vintage Koku Fan "Famous Airplanes of the World" volume on the B-52 sold me on it.

I used to have all of the DB conversions for the Monogram kit back in the day, but i didn't have to tools and skills to effectively use them 😕

-d-

This looks fabulous! It's going to be huge!

I love all the detail you're adding. :worthy:

On 6/2/2021 at 1:47 PM, _alfisti_ said:

I started with the air inlets, drawed and cutted them with my Silhouette Plotter.

41338715ri.jpg

I think they look okay.

Which Portrait is this? The plastic looks to be 1/4 mm or thicker; did your Portrait cut through? I have the original, it can only scribe plastic.

Is that Silhouette's SW? I use Inkscape and the inkscape-silhouette extension.