Concorde Prototype in Lufthansa colors,Airfix first issue 1/144

Finally we have weather in Switzerland that allows taking pictures on the balcony...

This is the 1966 first issue of Airfix's Concorde.

Due to its early release,a good 2 years prior to the first flight,the kit is probably more based on early drawings than on the real thing.

There are some differences compared to the real prototype.

I actually built it OOB,I even planned to use the kits Air France decals,and use some leftover decals for further detailing.

Unfortunately the decals were impossible to use,stiff as a board and they broke at the slightest touch once off the backing paper.

Well...it was to be expected but I tried it anyway...

I then roamed through my countless aviation magazines and there I found an article on the Concorde,in which all former airlines who had ordered the Concorde,were depicted with a drawing of how it would have looked.

I therefore chose the Lufthansa version,as I have plenty of leftover decals from different kits.

The blue cheatline and fin was airbrushed,using Revell Lufthansa blue 350.

The LH bits and pieces come from the Airfix 727-200 kit and Revell A320.

The model was painted silver and aluminium on the wings and fuselage underside as per the Airfix box art of the Air France version.It looks more interesting that way,and its a "what if" anyway.

The fit of the kit is not the best,I am currently working on the BOAC re-issue,which I find even worse in that regard,but thats another story.

Hope you like the Lufthansa Concorde,that never came to be...

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 39

That looks gorgeous.  Not so much a 'what if' but 'what should have been'!

I particularly like the colour variation over the engines. Nice touch. 

• Thanks 1

Very interesting, it really looks the part. I'm not normally too interested in 'what if' schemes, but this is more of a 'nearly was'. It'd be great to do a few more of Airlines that placed Concorde orders before cancelling them. Qantas would be my first choice!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1