General decal process question

Davidrebolton

Hi all, 

So just a quick one if I may? Regarding clears/varnishes, I know we should clear coat before decalling so have been using Tamiya's X22 clear prior to decal for that smooth glossy surface. 

However, how about after the decal application? Should we then clear coat again to seal them in OR can I then go on to my Winsor & Newton matt varnish to seal them in as my final top coat? 

Also how about weathering? Should that be done at the same time as the decals, then seal it all in with a clear/top coat? Or, should the decals be sealed in with more X22, the weathering on top of that followed by the final varnish? 

Thanks all 

Regards 

2 hours ago, Davidrebolton said:

Should we then clear coat again to seal them in OR can I then go on to my Winsor & Newton matt varnish to seal them in as my final top coat? 

adding the same X22 will give an even finish.  May not be needed.

2 hours ago, Davidrebolton said:

Also how about weathering? Should that be done at the same time as the decals, then seal it all in with a clear/top coat? Or, should the decals be sealed in with more X22, the weathering on top of that followed by the final varnish? 

I'd seal the decals,  washes can be done over the X22, or the matt coat, but will behave differently on a gloos vs matt finish.  (I use oil paint thinned with lighter fuel)

Unless the model is going to get a lot of handling,  and it depends what you mean by weathering,  in the case of exhaust and oil,  these have different sheens in reality, and by adding over the matt coat, these differences will be retained,  for oil, I use neat oil paint, streaked with a brush wetted with lighter fuel, and ground pastel chalk for exhaust deposits.

this is pastel chalk for exhaust deposit (note, this stuff gets cleaned off, and it rubs off easily in reality,  I got to climb onto a Hurricane warbird, and the pilot warned about this gunk rubbing off onto clothes) anf it's noticeably matt up close.   I find W&N Galleria dries with slight eggshell finish,  as seen here, but unless really weathered,  even 'matt' airframes have a slight sheen.

49927193301_ce224640da_b.jpg

this is neat oil paint streaked with brush with lighter fuel. 

46804435414_70f7f9ff7a_b.jpg

The difference in sheen is visible in person. 

As with all weathering, less is usually better, and study photos carefully for how it appears on the real thing, in the abve case, note that the oil leaks blow back over the UC doors, creating a very distinctive pattern,

eg

hurr2-7.jpg

You will get various different answers from other members here.

But, note that bit in my sig line, it's what works for you.

HTH  

I always seal the decals with a gloss varnish (future / kleer) before weathering to protect them. I use a similar process to the weathering as detailed above except I thin the oil paints with Low Odour Solvent from Winsor and Newton - for reasons obvious from the name.

A coat of satin varnish over the oil paint weathering and lastly pastels for the exhaust and gun stains if needed.

Mark

PS just for clarification I'm mainly a WW2 aircraft guy.