Messerschmitt Bf109E Multi Aircraft Take Off

Several years ago while airfix had enterd their discount to oblivion price war with them selfs i managed to bag their 1/24 Mosquito for around £40.00 and a few of their Bf 109e-4/e-1 kits for a little over £3.00 each from Airfixes own online shop. I probably got 4 of them to get to a free postage point but not sure .

Rather than just building one of these kits with a whole lot of after market stuff to make it something different and have the remaining 3 kits sit on the shelf forever more ,i have decided to do a production line and build all four together and set them in a diorama .

inspiration for the diorama comes from this picture

bf 109

I hope to get the 4 aircraft in various stages of take off .

The first will have its main wheels still on the ground like this

P1000165

the second aircraft will have just left the ground

P1000167

The 3rd and 4th aircraft will be starting their climb

3rd aircraft with wheels starting to retract

P1000166

The 4th will have the wheels fully retracted .

I have made a mock up to experiment with

P1000169

Obligatory pictures of unstarted lkits and contents . Only photographed one box content as they are all the same .(promise) :)

P1000164

P1000163

Nice to find that Airfix have provided reasonable moulded pilots so that will keep costs down . I have orderd some decals

s-l500

With 4 schemes i will do them all .

Thanks for looking

Alastair

• Like 25

Thanks Greg and Vp .No hard hats and hi vis jackets needed to view this production line  :)

Yesterday was a day of cleaning off parts and just a little assemble.

P1000170

P1000171

Luftwaffe Arms Dump

P1000172

• Like 7
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

Hi Alastair,  I'll follow your build with interest. You must have an aircraft hanger to store the finished result.

I never knew that this was actually an image of your workbench.

Bf-109 Factory Line

Ray

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Sounds like fun - I used the Xtradecal 1/72 German BoB decal sheet for my entry in the BoB Anniversary GB last year which has several of the Emils on it together with some other planes, though I suspect yours may be a little different being 1/48.

DSC03509-crop

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 31/05/2021 at 11:59, modelling minion said:

This is going to look fantastic, what a great idea.

Thanks mm it has the potential to look fantastic but then again there is the potential for it to be C**p

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

🍿🍿🍿 I’m in for a front row seat Alastair.

Good to see you there Ozzy .No sweet wrapper rustling  please  :)

20 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Alastair,  I'll follow your build with interest. You must have an aircraft hanger to store the finished result.

I never knew that this was actually an image of your workbench.

Bf-109 Factory Line

Ray

Thanks Ray .

the production line ground to a halt with the time taken to trim the trim wheels I think the mechanic in your picture is doing one :)

P1000173
18 hours ago, PeterB said:

Sounds like fun - I used the Xtradecal 1/72 German BoB decal sheet for my entry in the BoB Anniversary GB last year which has several of the Emils on it together with some other planes, though I suspect yours may be a little different being 1/48.

DSC03509-crop

Pete

Nice group of 109's Peter . They show just the contrast in colour schemes i want to achieve

17 hours ago, Col. said:

Great idea for a project. This will be stunning :speak_cool:

Thanks Col . I will be stuned if i can achieve stunning .I will try . :)

13 hours ago, The Rib Man said:

This is a cool idea.  I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

Thanks Rib Man . It will come together ,just got to hold the image in my mind for a few weeks .

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Mottlemaster said:

Just realised my threds getting rather silly ....sorry folks.

Doesn't bother me. I enjoy the laugh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Wouldn’t worry about it. A laugh and some good modelling elevates the thread imho :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2021 at 5:54 PM, Mottlemaster said:

Thanks mm it has the potential to look fantastic but then again there is the potential for it to be C**p

LOL!   ..made me smile Alastair. I can see one potential ‘problem’  - there isn’t too much scope for variety on the markings front unless you have the Gruppenkommandeur and/or his Adjutant flying the sortie as well ...otherwise how do you explain an Alarmstart involving different Gruppen?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

there isn’t too much scope for variety on the markings front

I was thinking about that too but I’d say so long as you have two pairs you could do two different Stabs or even Geschwaders. My next thought was that if you did a landing scene instead they could be from four different groups.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:21 PM, Mottlemaster said:

Don't you dare apologise! We're all enjoying the laugh ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/06/2021 at 00:32, FalkeEins said:

LOL!   ..made me smile Alastair. I can see one potential ‘problem’  - there isn’t too much scope for variety on the markings front unless you have the Gruppenkommandeur and/or his Adjutant flying the sortie as well ...otherwise how do you explain an Alarmstart involving different Gruppen?

Neil ,you got the answer in one . The Gruppenkommandeur and his Adjutant are  flying in the same sortie . No one has found out why , speculation suggests it was a mistake.(all the records mysteriously vanished soon after)  ;)

On 03/06/2021 at 07:50, Marklo said:

I was thinking about that too but I’d say so long as you have two pairs you could do two different Stabs or even Geschwaders. My next thought was that if you did a landing scene instead they could be from four different groups.

A landing scene would be neet but what if they didnt land in such close formation it could make the diorama excessively large to cover the time difference ;)

Seriously im never afraid to use artistic licence and never let my ignorance hold me back .

for the past week iv put in loads of hours and feel im making very slow progress  . has taken an age to clean up all the parts . i have at last got to the point of the first painting . I guess my build so far has had its direction leading to the most efficient use of a mix of Tamiya 02 .

P1000181

P1000182

P1000183

After paintin the 02 i will be attaching the levitation devices to each aircraft.

• Like 17