1/72 - ZSU-23-4 Shilka by Armory Models Group in 2021

KRK4m

According to https://www.scalemates.com/kits/armory-ar72443-zsu-23-4v1-shilka-mod-1970--1354249  , the Ukrainian Armory Models Group (not to be confused with Arsenal Model Group) is to offer a new tool styrene injected kit of the Soviet ZSU-23-4 Shilka. AFAIK it will be the first injected kit of this - most widespread ever - tracked AASPG on the Braille scale market.

While Armory offers hundreds of resin and/or photo-etched detailing kits for a variety of 1:72 and 1: 144 aircraft and AFV kits, their range of Braille-scale tracked AFV injected kits has so far only included the WW2 German PzKpfw IIL Luchs, PzKpfw VII Lowe, VK.36.01H and VK.72.01K, as well as the US M41 Walker Bulldog and M752 SSM launcher from the Cold War period.

The ZSU-23-4 will be their first injected kit of the Soviet tracked AFV (the 8-wheeled ZPRK 96K6 Pantsir has been available since 2017).

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 5

• KRK4m changed the title to 1/72 - ZSU-23-4 Shilka by Armory Models Group in 2021
  • 8 months later...

Whaaattt???? Did you see the price? 40 dollars for a 1:72 AFV smaller than a pack of cigarettes?

Just a few days ago, there was a big fight here about the 25 Euro prices of Arma Hobby 1:72 kits - that's what I can afford. But 40 is way too much.

By the way, after several months of struggling with the (still unfinished) M41, I am starting to lose my sympathy for Armory. The cup of bitterness (98 elements from photo-etched plaque) was completed by unreliable descriptions of M41 painting. That way and for this price you can play at 1:35, but not in Braille scale.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

I did note the price, and while I agree that it is unquestionably expensive, it's worth considering in perspective:

This is the first injection molded kit of this subject in this scale - as your original post noted, the most widely used (and I would say historically significant) SPAAG in history. 

If you put enough faith in longstanding rumors of the Toxso/Revell project, or the other most likely sources of Modelcollect, Zvezda, or Trumpeter/HobbyBoss, to wait on a less expensive alternative, you'll also have to be ready to accept not only a wait of a decade or two more, but also the likelihood of simplified running gear, accuracy issues, and no guarantee of an MSRP any lower than this one.

Also consider this kit includes a full photoetch fret, and extensive decal options in the base package. In today's marketplace those could easily cost as much as $15-20 USD as standalone items.

Yes, $40 is a lot for a 1:72 AFV.  But personally I don't think it's unreasonable, though it will definitely limit the quantity I buy.  I've grown increasingly convinced that "sticker shock" over the retail pricing of kits today has more to do with the rapidly diminishing market share our hobby occupies (coupled with simple realities of inflation) than manufacturers or distributors trying to gouge their customers.  When I first started "seriously" pursuing this hobby circa 1989, the brand new Hasegawa and Fujimi 1:72 F-14s carried what then seemed like an astronomical MSRP of $23.00 each.  In the 33 years since $23 has obviously come a lot closer to what the average consumer could call "disposable" income, but keep in mind that nowadays while the same kits probably retail for 2-3 times the original asking price, they are also not being sold in nearly as many "casual" sales outlets - far fewer hobby shops, and virtually zero "big box" retailers still carrying model kits at all. Factor in the added competition from 3D printing that will increasingly allow people to have their choice of subjects & scales literally made to order, and it's not so difficult to justify a $40 retail price for a well-detailed injection-molded kit with multimedia detail parts.

• Like 2

:o looks very detailed! hope they do some other export boxings pretty much endless subject to choose from

wife: "what's this payment to Ukraine?"

me: "you know...um...charity and stuff....support the business and the people..."
wife: "uhuh, real humanitarian.....its more model kits isn't it" 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40USD is quite a bit of quid for a 1/72nd scale AFV. But I might be tempted - I've always liked the Shilka. I'm not that big on AFV, but I might make an exception here, even at this price.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Learstang said:

40USD is quite a bit of quid for a 1/72nd scale AFV.

TBH not that much if you look at the contents of the box. And if you look at the new kits of modern vehicles in 1/35 with a similar level of detail. PLA ZTZ99A from Border Model (BT-022) costs 67.50 €, Chieftain Mk.10 from Meng Model (TS-051) costs 69.95 €, both checked in MBK. I think it is high time to accept that cheap kits are a thing of the past and manufacturers are also affected by price increases.

• Like 2

Oh, I'm not saying it's too expensive for what you get, or the price will put me off buying it. Just that it is a little expensive. So is my computer, but I still bought it.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, Gentlemen.

Of course, due to the lack of an alternative, I finally bought out these 35 bucks (one store in PL promises a price of 38, and I still have an 8 per cent discount at them).

If my AFV collection had 20 vehicles, I would have skipped it, but at 60 there has to be room for Shilka - even for this price.

But I think I would prefer a Revell one without this stupid PE fret for 18 euros.

Cheers

Michael

2 hours ago, modelldoc said:

BTW, please do you not forget, that Revell has the moulds from Toxco, they had a ZSU in the program.

Revell bought the completed moulds, nothing is known about buying projects. If there have been no announcements for so long, I wouldn't count on Revell releasing this kit.

23 hours ago, Mike said:

Why is a PE fret stupid though? :shrug:

Because I just dislike handling cyanoacrylate glue. I hate gluing resin details and I hate sticking all those microscopic details from photo-etched fret that you can't cut, shape, process and then fix in the right place. I can understand a PE fret with 10 or (horror) 20 elements. But Armory in their Braille scale M41 Bulldog give a plate containing 98 (!!!) elements, 30 of which could be made of polystyrene, and 30 others will never be noticed by normal people on this model. I've been struggling with it for 2 weeks and I can't see the end:rage:

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

Because I just dislike handling cyanoacrylate glue. I hate gluing resin details and I hate sticking all those microscopic details from photo-etched fret that you can't cut, shape, process and then fix in the right place.

I used to find it annoying when I first started with it, but you get used to it in the end.  Technically, as it's an inanimate object, it's incapable of being stupid though ;)

• Haha 2

On 04/10/2022 at 10:15, Mike said:

Regardless of price, that's a very nice crisp model.  Why is a PE fret stupid though? :shrug:

Because it knows I want it to stick onto the model, not spring into the carpet, hide for a month then stab me in the foot 😅

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

not spring into the carpet, hide for a month then stab me in the foot 😅

I've actually found bits of PE in the house, which is weird because my workshop is a stand-alone building :blink:  Just last week, I made a gesture to my SO who I was talking to in the kitchen, and a Wildcat wheel flew off my sleeve :shocked:

• Haha 2