Union flag typhoon

junglierating

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/royal-air-force-unveils-new-union-jack-colour-scheme-for-their-display-aircraft-b1856152.html

See link for yet another (as if we didnt know who we are) Union flag colour scheme.

Good work by the spray bay but definitely not my thing....subtle is ain't ...i always thought that was the point of roundels. 

Still the the chinook fleet is grounded I wonder if Typhoons are next following this garishness 😬

• Like 3

Agreed. I like a striking and inventive display scheme, but this to my mind is too heavily influenced by the Government's fanatical desire to have the flag displayed on everything and everywhere.

Effectively, it limits artistic options. 

• Like 9

Personally I love this scheme from an aesthetics point of view. It's striking and distinctive, but I would (without getting any further into politics as this is not the place for it) agree that it does seem to be influenced by that previously mentioned fanatical desire to put our flag on everything. At least this one pulls it off well, although adding a Welsh dragon would make it ten times better.

Not looking forward to the huge decals we'll have to use to model it though... Perhaps one of us modellers should be the one designing these schemes!

• Like 3

I confess I quite like it. The Typhoon is otherwise fairly bland when it comes to schemes IMHO so one outrageous paint job isn’t too bad even if a bit over the top. 

I suppose the OP point is flag usage which can get political but again to my mind shouldn’t be really. 

I think from the perspective of the forces the draping of the national flag is designed as a brand (I hate that usage by the way - too much business speak) promotion. If it shows the RAF at its best then so be it. 

• Like 2

Personally, I'm a big fan of it.

In my mind the RAF display teams are meant to be a showcase of the air force at airshows right across the country (and, next year, hopefully elsewhere too!). It looks striking, it's distinctive, and I suppose the Red Arrows have had Union Flags on them for years- so why not a Typhoon too? Come to think of it, display Hawks and Tucanos have been quite literally "flying the flag" in one form or another for a few years, so again, why not a Typhoon?

If nothing else it will be it far easier to get a decent camera focus on at airshows, instead of the grey-on-grey that we've become accustomed to!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Why are some people so quick to rubbish anything with a Union Jack on it? I'm pretty sure that the great majority of French people would welcome their Air Force doing their own version of this.... and German, Russian, etc, etc... you name it. Their seems to be a growing "social trend" to hate any representation of our national flag. Sad, IMHO.  

Chris. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

quite nice!

the base dark grey paint reminds me of the elusive aggressor Typhoon from some months back!

That’s because it is/was the elusive aggressor Typhoon up until recently.....

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dambuster said:

That’s because it is/was the elusive aggressor Typhoon up until recently.....

is that a way on capitalizing on defence cuts? only half repainting? ;)

the aggressor squadron is to go, no?

16 minutes ago, exdraken said:

is that a way on capitalizing on defence cuts? unly half repainting? ;)

the aggressor squadron is to go, no?

9 Sqn who provide ‘aggressor’ training against other frontline units, are still active. Indeed a new Sqn HQ building is currently under construction for them. This particular jet, ZJ914, was given an experimental black/dark grey colour scheme. It hasn’t been reported what the outcome of this trial scheme was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Why are some people so quick to rubbish anything with a Union Jack on it? I'm pretty sure that the great majority of French people would welcome their Air Force doing their own version of this.... and German, Russian, etc, etc... you name it. Their seems to be a growing "social trend" to hate any representation of our national flag. Sad, IMHO.  

Chris. 

Right shipmate ....its not a union jack its a union flag ( as per my initial post) its only a union jack when its flying from the jackstaff of a pussers gash barge.

I think you will find I didnt rubbish the work, its not my thing...as I said ace work by the spray bay.

As for social trend as you put it Brand UK 🇬🇧was doing perfectly ok before all this flag waving  unsubtle nonsense which frankly imho has kinda caused unstability.

However if thats what floats your boat 🚢. Thats fine but I dont think anyone has rubbished it .

Still the RAF are political animals more so than the RN ....makes it easier at the bargining table ....he said cynically 😁

• Like 5

A complex masking job for sure. I quite like it and couldn’t give a stuff about any political commentary. None of which is welcome here of course, in case anyone was unsure :yes:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Probably because it's seems its being shoved in our faces at every opportunity .

I think IanC's post earlier sums it up quite nicely.

Also, it's not MY national flag anyway! 😉

John

But it is the flag under which the armed forces of the UK provide OUR defence.

And I see far fewer instances of it being shoved in our faces than that which you consider to be YOUR national flag. 

You’ll be asking Mike to change the name of the website next 😀

• Like 6

Some folk clearly just can’t keep politics out. Mike has made a nice polite request. Can we please drop the sidebar asides as if we weren’t really making a political point. It just gets the discussion closed down

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I personally think it looks brilliant, it's a display jet after all, designed to look sharp and wow the crowds.I would count myself very fortunate if I were are able to see it in any public display, at any point through the year, given what we all have endured these last 15 months.

I for one look forward to visiting Coningsby later this year and my hope would be to see this machine fly to try and snap a picture with my overly amateur photography skills. My missus, who knows nothing about planes, also said it looks wonderful.

• Like 2

I'm really upset by this.

It's taken me years of practice to make grey jets look good and now they've taken that away from me 😭😭😭

PS. Anyone have a Revell 1/32 Typhoon, I feel a build coming on... 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's an early Tranche 1 jet so I suppose they may as well use up the airframe hours before it gets retired flying it around with a flag on it. 

Personally I Like grey. Matches my personality. However it's not doing anybody any harm.

Although come to think about it. Isn't doing harm what a warplane is designed to do?🙂

Stuart

• Like 3

After looking at the underside the top looks like they only half finished it? should have carries on for the full wing, and maybe taken the red down the fuselage?

• Like 1

I think it looks great to be fair,...... reminds me a bit of the old BAe scheme worn by the Hawks etc. Good use of a trials scheme too by `tarting it up' afterwards in nice bright Union Flags,...... we have the best national flag in the world,..... so why not fly it more often!!  Pity they couldn`t use a spare radar nose painted in the same colour to use for displays,..... but radar radomes and the paint to cove them are expensive I suppose.

At a time when the UK is trying to make its way in the wide open world again,.... I think it is a good choice,..... although as said earlier,.... the RAF is a political animal and is always out to impress the powers that be.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 8