Bf109E-3 number two!! White Nine 1/48 Airfix Finished ✅

Now I am going to focus on the white nine with my paint job !

As I was fairly happy with the overall sanding job so I decided to go for the basecoat to see how it looked under some paint..

Still happy but had to sand it around the back end of the canopy were the glass meets the fuselage.

I mostly never see this without the contrast of some paint...😟 and sometimes you think I can get away with this 😇 but you don’t....
You can see that had to sand some more off the fuselage but also on the top side of the glass as it was a little to high and to narrow.

This was due to the fact I had widened the fuselage unintentionally by putting the resin cockpit interior with a little pressure (It was really a little )

51350139464_4161bfbb2b_b.jpg

51349626738_3859c6931c_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Nine days already gone by since my last update🤗 sorry about that ..

I was experiencing some difficulties with a canopy and went  experimenting with buffing and scraping on one of the other builds I have ...

All went fine until dust in the cockpit forced me to open it up again and ruining a part that I buffed before so took another chance and ruined that one too🤔

Oh well on with the other ones then until I have another solution for the ruined one.

I did have enough spares but the quality of the examples needed were badly molded by Airfix as they have small seem lines in them which will show up!

In one of the threads on Britmodeller I learned it was called a short shunt and caused by molding with the plastic not having the right temperatures when the come together...with colored plastic it isn’t a big problem but it is on the glas parts as it shows up as cracks or as a cloudy part.

It took a lot of valuable time in the end I am not being impressed at all of the quality (very heavy and strange incorrect framing)of the glass parts of this otherwise nice kit.

Strangely there isn’t a good vacform replacement for it 🤔(Rob Taurus please do one for these)

Well the White Nine is progressing well and got the base camoscheme on it today 😁 the RLM 02 and 65 still needs to be done though..

Used MRP paints and I am happy with those colors as they look quite right to me.

51370306690_b4475e333c_b.jpg

51368540432_afd00d0672_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 4

As I am pressing on with the camo i came to the point were I needed to decide how high the demarcation line would be between the upper and lower part ...

I mostly do this by using the decals themselves and use the lowest tack tape there is to put them in place and this usually works perfect!

Well not today as the tape took away the decal from it’s carrier😕

Not a biggy  but if I don’t have a spare it gonna cost me some extra time on the sillhouette plotter!

51371675002_e6ea985930_b.jpg

51373448375_b0e892172f_b.jpg

51371679792_daf6960c20_b.jpg

And a few of the real thing..

this one is from the AK World War Two paint book

51371676872_ec3c3e8725_b.jpg

And this one from the Asisbiz website

51373166764_99f8489f84_b.jpg

(if it infringe any copyright please let me know and I can give the correct credits or I remove these)

In the next picture you can see in the yellow circle that between the probable RLM 70 and RLM 65 is another color of which  i suspect is RLM 71 from the previous camouflage pattern..

There is also a possibility that plane was entirely RLM 70 and this was just a remnant of a lausy paintjob as the sides are not very wel sprayed.

However if you see the other picture it looks like it that it has an RLM 71 there as well as tend to see three colors as well.

Then again this is very hard to tell with these pictures as they are not very well exposed.

51373483140_9602fe2bca_c.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 3

And the camo pattern is done  

At first I didn’t what to think about it when I started but now I am in love 😍 

Adjusting the gray and the overspray that comes with it costed me five hours as I was constantly switching between colors for the corrections..

When I came to the finish it even fell out of my fingers but luckily only the rudder came off without damage😅

51373516181_725b4c8a40_b.jpg

51373748443_c5b322eb04_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 5

And the final update today! Did the wheel bay’s in RLM02 MRP’s 02 which is quit light as most RLM 02’s nowadays but I mixed it with little RLM 71 to get a more correct greenish 02.

This is how I do most wheelbay’s by just applying it with a bamboo skewer.

51375018169_229927a4cb_b.jpg

51374528218_94c71235ff_b.jpg

For the applying the decals I mostly put some Alclad Aqua gloss ALC-600 on the model with a flatbrush .

It gives me a very good semigloss layer for decalling on which they adhere very well and mostly no silvering..

If it silvers it is mostly the basecoat that is compromised in one way or another.

If MRP paints are correctly sprayed it can be good enough for decalling but I noticed they adhere better with the Alclad layer on it.

51373588042_aaf68102f2_b.jpg

that’s It for today!

cheers, Jan

• Like 3

Decal time  on Friday the Thirteenth 😉

The decals from HAD performed well (with setting solution from Revell) and though I ruined one before I was able source a new cross with the exact same size cross in my stash😅

Saved me some time behind the computer for drawing and cutting a new one ..
All the stenciling is from the latest Airfix One O Nine and I really like these .

Such a small plane and still some forty stencils wich are all readable with a magnifier..

Had some small correcting to do on the HAD decals as the crosses weren’t clearly designed for Airfix kit.

The staffel emblem needed a correction as it had an extended black stripe that wasn’t supposed to be here according to my pictures..
Anyway I had no time to finish the decals today but the majority is there .

51376077563_351df5a1e0_b.jpg

51376581374_7758bb8d2e_b.jpg

51375080147_89be605ccf_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 4

Still a work in progress, the other three are not being worked on at the moment as every single one them need some kind of special attention!
I have said before that this is purely due to my AMS kicking in😇

I was almost on the home stretch untill some off my masking came loose on the cockpit and though I have been carefull in excluding all kinds of dust there was another one that showed his ugly white face😕.

So off went the glasswork for a second or maybe even a third time 😯

Thankfully I use the Revell Contacta clear and though it is strong enough to keep everything perfectly in place it is also removable if you are patient..

Everything removed and polished I decide it to build with the pit open...

The frames were resprayed and the antenna was put in place before the respray with some UV clear glue I love that stuff for these kind of fittings as it won’t damage you glass and is still strongly in place.

The oleo’s got some bare metal chrome foil and a brake line wich is hardly visible..

51388851608_6d5f080395_b.jpg

51391461285_9af1bc8487_b.jpg

51391243704_0b3292d8e4_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Tidy repair work Jan. Hope the masking tape doesn't lift any of the decals!

I did learn from the last time so I double folded the tape and just left a small sticky strip...

Anyway the thing seems keeps fighting me as the number nine decals still got damaged in the aftermath as tried to remove some flakes of paint that settled when I removed the masking from the glass..
Somehow these flakes seemed to merge with the paint and were almost impossible to remove ...

I tried to remove this with a q-tip and everything was gone but then the black outline was also a damaged!

Still hope that my LHS still has these decals(still saw these last week on their shelve).

Must say I never had such delicate decals before and the are very thin ....

51390696672_3e8817992f_b.jpg

still pressing on to get a good result and not get knocked out of the field by these things..

cheers, Jan

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Col. said:

I think you can get away with that damage as nothing more than a little wear and tear there Jan :) 

Thank you for the encouraging words Col. and i know  I could get away with it but I know it isn’t wear and tear so went to the shop after my work today and I was able score another set ( they still have two of these left for those interested 😉)
Normally I would try something else or leave it this way and use the wear and tear excuse but I can afford to buy another set!
The positive side is that I also have spare decals for the other ones😇.

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Great build.

I have particular interest in this Luftwaffe unit.

My Father who was with the Army based at Biggin Hill in 1940, witnessed an Me 109 White 9 of II/JG51 being shot down at Langton Green, Kent, October 29th 1940. He was first on the scene and took the dead pilots watch and pistol. (strictly against regulations).

It's listed in the B of B Then & Now book.

Anyway keep up the good work.

@Dogtail2 thank you for for sharing this great story and liking the build .

It could have been better at many points but some things are really down to the fact that I sometimes try to over correct it which is my downfall☺️
The JG 51 is indeed an interesting unit and I like the many variations in camouflage and iterations of the birds emblem they carried .

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished this one 😁

Probably you will see a few things that look like flaws but are there on the real thing such as the overspray on the left side of the white nine and the not perfect spray below the canopy...

Still need to do some last touchups on the wheathering like soot, oil and dust/mud!

51410082628_102a504d08_b.jpg

51412267967_43094016e2_b.jpg

51413006236_fb73b68a90_b.jpg

51413762514_c564f11536_b.jpg

51413268623_a70bed0c85_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 4

I call this one done, despite being a bit long in the tooth in getting it finished I am glad I did finished it.

I had several setbacks and I thought I would never get it out of the mancave in this manner !
Daylight pics will follow in gallery 😉

51416917019_65c328bd41_b.jpg

51416917699_fc010354f1_b.jpg

And in good company, the old Tamiya with the odd nose job..

51415427812_03bd0bcedd_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Dogtail2 said:

Beautiful in an aggressive sort of way.  Where is the pilot figure from? 

Thank you Dogtail2, the pilot is I an old one from CMK or Plusmodel  but I am not sure as i painted that one for another Project a long time ago...

That figure has at least the correct 1940 outfit!

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Thank you Dogtail2, the pilot is I an old one from CMK or Plusmodel  but I am not sure as i painted that one for another Project a long time ago...

That figure has at least the correct 1940 outfit!

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan,

I'll see iif I can get hold of one.

Cheers

D.

• Like 1