OA-37 "Dragonfly" of the Wisconsin Air National Guard

Nice looking snake Bill, am I correct in thinking they’re harmless to humans?  All our common snakes here will kill you if you don’t get treatment in time if you’re unlucky or stupid enough to get bitten.  We had a Red Bellied Black Snake in our yard, beautiful creature but quite venomous.  The snake catcher was called but it had moved on by time he arrived.  Last summer we had an Eastern Brown (second most venomous in the world) pass through the yard.  Fortunately these snakes are fairly shy and not aggressive if you leave them alone.

Tanks are looking good too.  Are the unpainted pylons attached?

AW

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Nice looking snake Bill, am I correct in thinking they’re harmless to humans?  All our common snakes here will kill you if you don’t get treatment in time if you’re unlucky or stupid enough to get bitten.  We had a Red Bellied Black Snake in our yard, beautiful creature but quite venomous.  The snake catcher was called but it had moved on by time he arrived.  Last summer we had an Eastern Brown (second most venomous in the world) pass through the yard.  Fortunately these snakes are fairly shy and not aggressive if you leave them alone.

Tanks are looking good too.  Are the unpainted pylons attached?

AW

Garter snakes (like most snakes in North America) are totally harmless. The dangerous ones here are rattlesnakes (multiple species), copperheads, water moccasins (a.k.a. Cottonmouths), and coral snakes (most colorful, and venomous, of the bunch).

I’m using the Hasegawa underwing tanks, which come with pylons molded-on. And yes, the pylons have been painted (very light gray, like the plane’s underside). They do need a bit of touch up, as you can see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

am I correct in thinking they’re harmless to humans?

My daughter actually rescued one last winter. Somehow it was outside and moving around in snow so she caught it and nursed it until the weather improved. She fed it goldfish and frog babies. They're territorial but not too mean.  

• Like 5

Strange how the closer you are to being done, the longer your “to-do” list becomes! Here’s mine right now:

• Paint underside of horiz stabs
  • Paint lower wing leading edge
  • Paint landing gear doors, wheel bays, inlet area, exhaust areas,
  • Paint funny green area on rear fuselage
  • Add horiz stabs
  • touch up paint
  • Gloss coat 
  • Weather
  • Paint dorsal antenna bulges
  • Paint & add lower antenna bulge
  • Design & print custom decals
  • Add Decals
  • Dull coat
  • Add smudge below canopy
  • Add lights under wing
  • Decal wingtip tanks
  • Dull coat tanks
  • Add lights to wingtip tanks
  • Install wingtip tanks
  • Assemble nose gear doors
  • Detail landing gear
  • Paint wheels
  • Add IP console
  • Add seats
  • Add control sticks
  • Build & Add HUD
  • Add Clipboard?
  • Detail windscreen
  • Paint windscreen
  • Add windscreen 
  • Add nose probe - clear light?
  • Remove masking from nose lights
  • Add pitot & probe on fin
  • Add sticky out stuff (beacons)
  • Paint & Add thrust attenuators
  • Add landing gear & doors
  • Add FOD screens
  • Paint front of pylons
  • Add pylons & tanks
  • Final touch-ups
  • Detail canopy
  • Paint canopy 
  • Add canopy
  • Add whip antennae

Guess I’d better get cranking!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2021 at 3:20 PM, Jackson Duvalier said:

Looking forward to this build, Bill.  I've one of these standing by myself and was going to suggest the SBS cockpit and Eduard etch but I see you've got that covered.  The Eduard set is mostly redundant if you've got the SBS bits, but it does have nice intake screens that would be hard to replicate any other way, and it's inexpensive.  My only complaint with the SBS resin is that the same master was used for both seats so the restraints are identically drooped; it's hard not to notice as they're sitting side by side.

References for the A-37 aren't exactly copious, neither are decals.  It's a shame because that big bubbly cockpit opening offers such potential for a little gem of a model.

I've seen some mention that the underwing tanks from the Hasegawa kit are "more accurate," I guess Academy forgot to clone them properly but I haven't the references to settle the issue in my mind.  

How well does the SBS cockpit fit? Long ago, I picked up the squadron update set and the resin cockpit was too narrow (by quite a bit). To use it, I would have to shim the space between the kit and resin tub.

thanks

1 hour ago, Bejay53 said:

How well does the SBS cockpit fit? Long ago, I picked up the squadron update set and the resin cockpit was too narrow (by quite a bit). To use it, I would have to shim the space between the kit and resin tub.

thanks

No such problems with the SBS cockpit. The only issue I had is with the piece that fits under the windscreen and holds the instrument panel (part #3 )

51211896608_14cc52410c_z.jpg 

I've already described how I added a ledge/slot to the kit fuselage to help restrain the SBS piece. I also found that it (part #3) is a tight fit with the fuselage closed, plus I had to trim a bit off the bottom where it meets the center console on the cockpit tub.

All in all, no big deal and a much better fit than many other resin cockpits I've installed (hear that, Aires?)

This morning, I painted the underside of the horizontal stabs (somehow, I had missed this when I was painting the base camo colors). I also tackled the camo "wrap" under the wing leading edge. Armed with a fresh roll of servo tape, I gave @TheRealMrEd 's technique a try.

First, I laid down some Tamiya tape to make removing the sticky servo tape easier:

51268819495_55168f902a_z.jpg 

I then cut out my masking pieces and applied 1-mm thick servo tape to them:

51268819505_7e5c25465e.jpg 

The masks were then put in place. I've also marked where the different camo colors will go:

51267787956_15ce2f99ec_z.jpg 

I sprayed the colors over the mask, taking care to keep the airbrush perpendicular to the wing. Here's the result:

51267051402_8e9913a361_z.jpg  51267972218_8c01c02ac0.jpg 

I'm happy with the result. I did find a couple of places needing touchup (my fault, nothing to do with the masking technique). Thanks again, Ed, for the servo tape tip!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A bit more detail painting accomplished this afternoon.

Exhaust areas -- AK Interactive XTreme Metal steel for the fairings, burnt metal for the area behind the nozzle. I also used burnt metal for the thrust attenuator petals (not shown), which I will install later.

51269061966_2b75a41982_z.jpg 

Black area (visible in photos) ahead of the air inlets:

51270091980_1f34c010a6.jpg 

That non-standard green re-paint on the rear fuselage, unique to the specific aircraft I'm representing. I custom mixed the color to match what is shown in my photo of the actual aircraft.

51269247823_24d2985759_z.jpg 

Somewhere along the way I lost the port flap's inboard actuator. Looks like I will have to fabricate a replacement :sad:

51269062056_026cd25722.jpg 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, billn53 said:

Strange how the closer you are to being done, the longer your “to-do” list becomes! Here’s mine right now:

Exactly! I find the same but it could be my lack of organisation! ;) 

Martin

• Like 1

Working through my to-do list:

Painted the various antennae on the Dragonfly's back:

51272253813_02fcf58222_z.jpg 

and some bits & bobs on the belly (note that I've replaced the lost flap actuator):

51273103695_52d304f57b_z.jpg 

I replaced the too-thick pitot tube & vertical mast on the kit's fin with brass items (modified from a spare Model Master set... I believe it was for a FW-190):

51273103635_e72bb18f55.jpg 

With that done, I felt it was at last safe to glue the horizontal stabs in place. I'll give the glue time to set and then touch up the seam at the join:

51273103680_9db27415cb_z.jpg 

In case you are wondering, I've not yet added the whip antennae. What you see in the photos are pieces of nylon that I've threaded through the holes, to keep them clear of paint until I'm ready to add the antennae.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shalako said:

Did you notice the decals' silvering?

It looks that way in the photo. What you are seeing is come metallic chipping I did around the fuel filler caps. 

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is turning out beautifully, Bill :).  👍

Martin

Thanks Martin. I’ve now got two projects working (this, and Clear Prop’s A5M4 Clyde). There is a short deadline for the Clyde so the Dragonfly is now on the back burner. Nonetheless, progress is still being made. Yesterday I clear-coated and did a simple Flory wash for a light weathering & to bring out details.  Today, I plan to add decals (except for the custom ones I still have to make). 
I’ll post photos when that’s complete. 

Just now, billn53 said:

Thanks Martin. I’ve now got two projects working (this, and Clear Prop’s A5M4 Clyde). There is a short deadline for the Clyde so the Dragonfly is now on the back burner. Nonetheless, progress is still being made. Yesterday I clear-coated and did a simple Flory wash for a light weathering & to bring out details.  Today, I plan to add decals (except for the custom ones I still have to make). 
I’ll post photos when that’s complete. 

Great stuff, Bill.  I am about to getting the upper camo on to my Su-7, employing the same paper cutout method - like yours - that I always use. :) I was wondering about that Servo tape, though. Is it lightly tacky? I'm conccerned about wrenching paint off! :(

• Thanks 1

Just now, RidgeRunner said:

I was wondering about that Servo tape, though. Is it lightly tacky? I'm conccerned about wrenching paint off! :(

It’s pretty sticky (reminds me of how electrical tape is sticky), which is why I put a layer of low-tack Tamiya masking tape beneath it. 

THanks Bill. I think I might stick to my "cut holes-stick down with Tamiya tape" idea, supplemted by appropriate use of White Tack in awkward spots :)

Martin

• Like 1

Flory wash and decals (most of them) are on! I used Flory's black wash on the upper, camouflaged surfaces and gray on the lower surfaces. Most decals are from the kit (they went on very well)... I also made up a few custom decals for the Wisconsin ANG bird (tail numbers & ANG emblem for the fin, "The Boys From Syracuse" for the wingtip tanks).

I always find that decals give a bit of "bling" to an otherwise so-so camouflage pattern:

51278051900_26d650dd0c_c.jpg

The Flory wash not only brought out surface details, but also added much needed variation to the light gray undersides.

51278051905_087fe66bb1_c.jpg 

I don't have the ability to print white for decals, so I for the fin markings I used white decal paper and used my graphics program to surround the white text with green background. The result looks fine to the naked eye (even when viewed just a few inches away), but nothing hides from the macro lens! In this close-up, you can see how the green I chose doesn't exactly match the surrounding paint. Also, the white decal stock I used is thicker than I would have liked.

51278051845_ed83e3299d_z.jpg  51234534514_b82d22909d.jpg 

For the wingtip tanks, I printed "The Boys From Syracuse" in gray text on clear decal film. After applying the decals, I lightly over-sprayed the text with highly-thinned olive green. I think the result is effective:

51277754039_6671bd8731_z.jpg

51237229419_728f2e1acc_z.jpg 

That's it for the Dragonfly. Now, I must get back to work on my little A5M4 Claude.

• Like 14

13 hours ago, billn53 said:

I don't have the ability to print white for decals, so I for the fin markings I used white decal paper and used my graphics program to surround the white text with green background.

Very creative solution 🙂

• Like 1

For the past week, I've been working on Clear Prop's 1/72 A5M4 Claude for my local club's July group build. I just put the color coat on the Claude and must wait for the paint to fully cure before continuing on with that project, so I'm now back at work in my A-37 Dragonfly.

This morning, I finished up a few bits and bobs that I'll need later -- landing gear and canopy frame pieces:

51288384205_215c440dcd_z.jpg

I also the attached the gun tube and nose refueling probe:

51288308779_37a38dcc87_c.jpg 

I drilled a hole in the probe assembly where the actual aircraft has a light for nighttime refueling. Later, I'll insert a small piece of clear acrylic to represent the light:

51287904669_e8267ffdfc.jpg

Next, I finished off decaling the nose area with various stencils:

51288199765_6773a91559_z.jpg 

Lastly, I added the wingtip tanks:

51287200926_5ff038b6fd_b.jpg

. . . and gave everything a spray of Winsor & Newton clear matte. All that's left now for the Dragonfly is to finish off the cockpit and then add the underwing tanks, landing gear, canopy pieces, & a handful of minor items.

P.S. -- Here's an update on my snake situation (which I reported on just over a week ago): At that time, I stated that I had at least three Common Garter Snakes residing in my garden. In fact, a few days later I counted a total of six snakes, all two to three feet long. Here's a photo I took with three of them coiled together:

51288384555_cda198a267_b.jpg

Since then, most of the slithering reptiles have left (not nearly enough food in my garden for six snakes). However, a couple of them have dug burrows by my steps and look to be taking up permanent residence :worry:

• Like 6

Bill, this looks great!  I really like how you got the cammo under the wing, the non-standard cammo green just before the tail, and although I went to Syracuse, I really did get over myself and was really impressed with the tank paint over--well done🙌  Best, Erwin

• Thanks 1