Finemolds F-4EJ

Cleansing the palette so to speak. Almost an OOB with only adding the open gun purge door, seat harness and triangle patches on top of the Horizontal Stabs. Note the blue paint on the Stabs did not match each other per references.

The kit goes together well but carefully watch the spine fuselage top panel and how the front fuselage attaches. I had a problem with a main landing gear "toe in" look to it.

The scribing is very fine and a looks all the part to me.

Thanks to @Gene K for help with this and as always comments are welcome.

The Motive

1H71pTX.jpg

Thin solder flattened for the harnesses

gu0T2fW.jpg

N2uGzE0.jpg

bebJpBw.jpg

psiSzho.jpg

1OXsEaq.jpg

la47cac.jpg

Cnh1f5g.jpg?1

IFUiyMq.jpg

5uaSxyP.jpg

7xXJ5BC.jpg

KSyYMI9.jpg

wInwdhG.jpg

Q7d6nam.jpg

793hqeG.jpg

A1lBJfQ.jpg

• Like 64

That's brilliant. It's funny really the F4 is really one of the iconic American aircraft. 

But somehow the Japanese made it their own. They really have the some of the best colour schemes of any of the Phantoms we've ever seen. 

I'm really impressed with your rendition. I do like a Phantom. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 4

:penguin: Simply outstanding in ALL respects, Craig! The application of the decals and painting of the stripes, as well as the overall finish are particularly notable.

I'm really looking forward to your short nose FineMolds builds.

Gene K

• Like 1

Beautiful build and the application of all the stencils really makes the model stand out. I wish I had the patience to do that in 1/48 or 1/32 scale.

• Like 1

Craig, phabulous.  Ill be happy if my EJ (and the short nosed ones we’ve not got yet) turn out half as nicely. How did you find the decals?  Some say thick?

Chris

• Like 1

13 hours ago, noelh said:

It's funny really the F4 is really one of the iconic American aircraft. But somehow the Japanese made it their own.

I'll agree with that, their varied paint schemes and special markings are a treat for modellers.

12 hours ago, ruudster said:

Kit decals?  How do the intakes look SOB?

Most were kit decals with only the serial numbers to change. The intakes are perfect, They have managed to put the seams where they wont be seen.

11 hours ago, Gene K said:

Simply outstanding in ALL respects, Craig! 

I'm really looking forward to your short nose FineMolds builds.

Thank you Gene. Yes this is a bit of a warm up for a (hopefully) early Grey and White F-4C later this year with Finemolds continued releases.

10 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful build and the application of all the stencils really makes the model stand out.

Thank you SAT69, patient work with masking for all the stencils and the multiple views helped in placement.

vTplHLS.jpg?1

4 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Gorgeous!

Thank you ForestFan.

3 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

How did you find the decals?  Some say thick?

Yes, they were thick, but worked well with Mircro-Sol. Larger sections of stencilling were cut into smaller pieces to reduce the amount of decal film.

3 hours ago, daneel said:

Very beautiful!

Thank you daneel.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Impressive job, Craig! :clap: :clap:

Thank you Giorgio. Enjoying the updates on your double build. Good Luck with the twins! 

Ciao

• Thanks 2

That is one beautiful Rhino. I agree with the others that the  JASDF  has by far the most varied and colorful camouflage and markings for the Rhino- even more so than their license-built F-104's! Can't wait to see/get all of the FM Phantoms as they are released. Outstanding modeling in all areas.:worthy:

Mike

• Like 1

Very nice, I really like what you did with it. I have one in the stash and a couple on pre-order and I appreciate your comments on the build and decals.

• Like 1

An excellent build!

Not sure I'd have the patience for all those stencils, but your work looks all the better for it.

I can't help thinking that anything with a "Fine Molds" brand on it must be pretty good (it's in the name).

Your model is added inspiration to try one of their kits - but I would be hard pressed to match your evident skills.

:thumbsup::goodjob:

• Like 1

That is a stunning model, in one if my favourite JASDF colour schemes. It is simple but striking.

I'm not sure about the two shades of blue that you mention, as it may have been a trick of the light. Must check my photos,

Andy

• Like 1

That is a truly super job! Beautifully put together and well done on the patience required to add all the stencils: as others have commented they really add to the model and the gorgeous colour scheme really makes it stand out.  

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 8:14 AM, Spitfire31 said:

Superb Phantom!

I suspect that groundcrew with dyslexia are weeded out early in training…

Beautiful modelling.

Kind regards,

Joachim

On 5/30/2021 at 12:24 PM, 72modeler said:

That is one beautiful Rhino. I agree with the others that the  JASDF  has by far the most varied and colorful camouflage and markings for the Rhino- even more so than their license-built F-104's! Can't wait to see/get all of the FM Phantoms as they are released. Outstanding modeling in all areas.:worthy:

Mike

On 5/30/2021 at 8:15 PM, Billy54 said:

I have one in the stash and a couple on pre-order and I appreciate your comments on the build and decals.

No real problems with the build, attaching the front fuselage was the biggest challenge to reduce the amount of sanding.  And I will add the top and bottom wings, careful not to lose all that great fine detail. The decals are thicker but most Japanese kits tend to lead that way. But printing is beautiful and the effect of the stencils are worth it for me.

12 hours ago, kapam said:

I can't help thinking that anything with a "Fine Molds" brand on it must be pretty good (it's in the name).

Your model is added inspiration to try one of their kits -

Thank you, this is my first FineMolds kit and enjoyed it. Crisp mouldings and clear instructions.

9 hours ago, Red Dot said:

I'm not sure about the two shades of blue that you mention, as it may have been a trick of the light. Must check my photos,

The blue is all one tone, simply the fore and aft paint demarcation line varies slightly from left and right, very slight but visible. 

3 hours ago, RichieW said:

Oh that is lovely!

Thank you RichieW.

2 hours ago, Latinbear said:

......as others have commented they really add to the model and the gorgeous colour scheme really makes it stand out.  

One of the reasons I chose this subject aircraft. For me the time and patience for masking added to the fun for me. Thank you. 

• Like 3