DUAL COMBO: Midsummer Mersu feat. my dad with A&A Bf 109T

51211687579_d07d06dc12_o.jpg

Eduard's Dual Combo Limited Edition box from few years back. That's my choice of decals on the box art, the one in the front.

51210215992_9ff07dd9b7_o.jpg

Quite thick instructions and decals that have passed thru Germany at some point - only do-it-yourself swastikas are included. No worries, won't be needing those with this build as I will be doing a post war plane.

51211994420_cdf1fc6ed1_o.jpg

This is my choice of decals. Finnish Air Force Mersu with some extra colour to make it more attractive for a reno-style air race, held at Utti airport midsummer festival in 1950.

51211687524_eae8b8b27c_o.jpg

Big pile of plastic - as this is a Dual Combo so you can build two Mersus out of this box - a G2 and a G6. I will be doing the G6. And before you go all Enzo on me, no, I won't be building the other one as my dad owns this box, and he wants to do the other one. :P 

51211687484_73be67fcca_o.jpg

'Aftermarket' that I will be using came with the box - as with normal for Eduard, all Profipacks and Limited Editions come with PE and canopy masks included.

I just realised that this will be my first ever Mersu. I've painted a couple but I haven't completely built one from the start. So it will be interesting.

Oh and in case you are wondering, 'Mersu' is the Finnish nickname for Messerchmitt Bf 109. Kinda obvious where it comes I suppose. Oh and 'Mersu' is also a nickname for Mercedes-Benz - but that's not related to this GB :D 

I've got couple other GB's on the works (and several other builds) so I won't probably be storming out of the gates with this build but I will get to it eventually.

• Like 12

What a choice of colour scheme :wub:  Bet that would have been a great race to witness!

Is your dad joining us in the GB Reini?

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Col. said:

Is your dad joining us in the GB Reini?

Yes - he is 'technologically challenged' so I will be updating his progress on this thread :D And I visited him today and he was working on two other 1/48 Bf 109's and three 1/32 Bf 109's so this all might be bit all over the place but it's all good - it's all Bf 109's :D 

I made him choose one model specific for this GB though - A&A Models Bf 109T.

What's a Bf 109T you might ask? Well, that's the navy version! There were plans for aircraft carrier and Bf 109T was going to be the fighter onboard, but that didn't work out as planned. T-version of the Bf 109 actually got built in some numbers (70 in total), although most of them de-navalized (arrestor hook removed) T-2 as the carrier project was cancelled. The most distinctive feature is the  longer wingspan - that seems bit counter intuitive for a plane that should fit inside carrier, but apparently 11.08m wingspan was short enough for the planned carrier lifts and the longer wingspan made taking off and landing easier on shorter fields. This was later put to use as after some training duty Bf 109T-2's served in Norway where landing strips were both short and subject to powerful cross-winds.

51213089953_6671fa5d2c_o.jpg

I'm not familiar with the manufacturer but it seems fairly detailed. Some PE parts are included and so are masks.

51212160122_5563c939ae_o.jpg

51213638909_c3e7aed203_o.jpg

I don't know yet what version will be chosen but here are the options. Not sure where is the one from the box art, but maybe my dad forgot to take pic of that. But I doubt he will choose that, he's a fan of more simple paint schemes :D 

51213089923_4a3c756979_o.jpg

My dad likes his kits hassle free and that you don't have to work too hard to make the parts fit well and not a million small parts etc. So, for example Tamiya. Like I said, I don't know this manufacturer but I doubt it's not Tamiya... but I might be wrong, who knows!

My dad has made a start with gluing on the wings and noticing that some extra filling is needed on the wing roots. This was done before the GB but I think we are less than 25% done still :) I'm eagerly waiting how the build proceeds, if it doesn't go together well I'm sure we will hear about it :D 

• Like 8

• reini changed the title to DUAL COMBO: Midsummer Mersu feat. my dad with A&A Bf 109T

Hi Reini,

I was wondering if this colour scheme would make an appearance - great! I did think it was a bit "loud" for a service machine, but now I see it was for a race.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Glad to know your dad is joining us :D Of course if any of his other on-going 109 projects happens to feature in this thread I'm sure there'll no complaints ;)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Reini,

apologies for this blast-from-the-past, but I was wondering if your Dad finished the A&A Bf109T kit, or whether it was better off left in its box? You see, I'd quite like to get one, and I'd be grateful to know if its a decent kit or a turkey!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Mark

@2996 Victor Hi Mark! Well the kit was grounded and never got continued - he has started over a dozen other Bf 109's since then :D

As for the kit, I really don't know but I'm guessing it's better than my initial post suggests. I think my dad was too hasty to add fillings to the wings, I mean he doesn't even have the fuselage together to get the proper fit. So I don't think it's turkey but can't be sure. Interesting subject anyways!