BERLIN 1938

The construction's inspiration came from Philip Kerr Prussian Blue's book starring Bernie Gunther, KriPo's inspector.

Born in Berlin, cynical, cruel to criminals and Nazis, polite to women. Born in 1898, this WW1 veteran served many years in KriPo, some of them as an inspector. He also worked as a private investigator, private security at the Adlon Hotel in Berlin, concierge at a C σεte d'Azur hotel, moved between Germany, Russia as a prisoner of war, Cuba, Argentina and France. His path intersected with important events of the period 1914-1957 and with important Nazi officials, such as Himmler, Goebbels, Heydrich, Göring.

After the death of his first wife in the Spanish flu pandemic in 1918, he met many women and entered into temporary relationships with women of all nationalities, German, English, Greek, Latin American, North American. He has his own code of honor, he is possessed by ethics and he does not know how to keep his mouth shut in front of anyone.

He will always throw a humorous attack, even in front of a dark weapon barrel that marks him. A drinker and smoker, he knows how to appreciate a strong snap and an old brandy, as well as the shapely female legs.

I learned about his adventures from a series of 14 books, some of which have not yet been translated into Greek.

The inspirer of Philip Kerr unfortunately passed away on 23-3-2018.

I got the Masterbox kit used by another modeller, in excellent condition except for its box, which was damaged.

Contains three fragile plastic frames, one transparent, decals and rubber wheels. The instructions are not clear and need a lot of study so as not to make a mistake. Generally the kit is over engineered and makes the life of the modeler difficult, but the result is satisfactory.

I decided to build a KriPo vehicle for the period 1936-1939.

20210529-181611.jpg20210529-181623.jpg20210529-181707.jpg20210529-181721.jpg

• Like 11

I debated not commenting here. At the same time, saying nothing seemed a bit wrong as well somehow.

However, in the spirit of constructive criticism, I'll say that it makes me uncomfortable, and leave it at that.

15 hours ago, TonyW said:

I debated not commenting here. At the same time, saying nothing seemed a bit wrong as well somehow.

However, in the spirit of constructive criticism, I'll say that it makes me uncomfortable, and leave it at that.

A diorama is the three-dimensional capture of a scene, which is often a historical event.

If we consider that modeling is also an art form, it would be good to create emotions in the viewer.

What does this diorama depict?

In Berlin in 1938, at the height of the Nazi regime, when insults, manipulations and persecution of Jews had been established in addition to official regime policy and accepted as the conscience of "pure-blooded" Germans, in front of a ruined and marked Jewish is played a dramatic scene.

An old Jew woman with a yellow star on her lapel has just been hit in the face by a warm-blooded member of the Nazi youth, who is trying to win the congratulations of a high-ranking SS officer on a MERCEDES and bowing her head in despair, submissive to her fate. Who knows if he survived the war? The scene takes place in front of two policemen and two passing passers-by who prefer to be indifferent.

Only one spectator, out of motif, gets indignant and shouts: "- You little nazi sweetheart, she's (not a Jew) only an old lady".

Unfortunately, this was the situation in Germany in 1938, as described by Philip Kerr in his books.

I hope my diorama does not only cause annoyance, but concern, anger and resentment.

Let us never forget the crimes of the Nazis and especially that, at some point, they were most accepted by the Germans.

P.S. Eighty years ago, on such days, a German regular army of occupation, invaded my grandparents' village and executed all the men in retaliation.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TonyW said:

I think its a great subject and if it makes one uncomfortable then good ....so it should.

People may choose to look away but you cant say you werent aware.I wish people were more uncomfortable today perhaps the world would be more harmonious. 

Fantastic skill too 👏

• Like 6

My personal opinion:

Without your secondary description, that message didn't come across to me at all in your diorama. And as I don't know of the character you are referring to, the character reference also means little.

As for any shock/controversy value implied or intended, also lost, as the diorama I feel doesn't portray the actions you describe.

Not sure what you have going on with the top of the brick with that broken(?) piece of concrete. The figure in the suit looks more annoyed at the inconvenience of being told to cross the street by the Ordnungspolizei. The HY looks like he should be poking his tongue out at her rather having just slapped her. The Adolf looking guy in the back of the vehicle has a swastika on his armband, but the vehicle reichs eagle is missing the swastika?

Good story concept, lost execution.

But, that's just my 2 cents worth. Sorry, can't give change as we don't do one cent pieces anymore and no refunds given.

• Like 1

Modelling anything that depicts the Holocaust or Persecution of the Jews is a risk that requires good execution. Whilst I am not familiar with the story at all, I think the quote on the base makes it very clear as to the intent. 

If you don't feel anything when seeing dioramas like this, then the problem isn't the builder. As a vignette, it evokes emotion and that is evident of a well thought out scene. 

@diehard I like this diorama. The execution, in my opinion, is to the point and well done. Good build sir. But expect the more sensitive of souls to not like this purely based on the subject. 

• Like 3

I think it's brave of you to tackle this subject, and lay yourself open to the inevitable criticism.

I've seen very few models covering this aspect of WW2 (and the period preceding it.) The only other one springs to mind is a railway wagon diorama full of abandoned posessions the owners clearly just been herded off to a camp.

I can understand people being uncomfortable with this subject, but it's something that does have to be acknowledged  and of course remembered , there are many arguments either way on this of course.

For me, respect to you for facing up to it.

• Like 3

what i believe is an objective statement :  swastika decals having been removed from model kits indicates a swing in perspective towards this period in history.

to the modeling of the diorama : the composition (or) balance of figures/ backdrop/ foreground is good and having none parallel to the base better.

i think the base lettering overpowers the size of the models and could have been reduce to 50%, maybe with " " marks, with the BERLIN 1938 being a little larger if it is meant to be the title. the prose sort of runs on and it's hard to know where one stops and the other begins. they are neither connected nor separated. 

perhaps the camera's causation, but if not maybe consider giving the figures a coat of matte finish and a wash to define their details/ features.

Edited by s.e.charles

Thank you all for the positive comments but also those who were concerned with the issue, for the time they had to see it and respond. I assure you that my intention was not to create any problems. Perhaps because such issues in my country are discussed freely, in every aspect, with a clear position against the persecution of Jews and other minorities. After all, I belong to a country that suffered a lot during the German occupation. But also my special homeland, Crete, as well as my village of origin, experienced agony, fear, hunger, deprivation, arrests, deportations, executions of civilians and transfer to Nazi concentration camps.

As for the construction stage, I accept that I am not an authority, nor the best modeler. However, I spent many hours gathering information and constructing and approached the subject with sensitivity, drawing inspiration from the Scottish writer and his protagonist. The setting was clearly led by Mini Art which gives the figures as I made them and with a clear message in box art.

P.S. some answers that say "2 cents worth" and "can't give change as we don't do one cent pieces anymore and no refunds given" I did not understand much (maybe I made some sense). Μaybe they are an idiom and my english is very poor and helped by google.

• Like 2