1 hour ago, Fritag said:

True.  The Mk 104s were better than the 102s and the 106s better again (altho’ the latter were after my time).  I can say that a jag at Red Flag in the Nevada desert (even with 104s) with a centre line tank, 4 x 1,000lbers plus dash 10 and phimat pods took an awful lot of the Nellis AFB runway to get airborne….

I've always thought of the Jags as a bit like a 1275 Mini. Not that powerful but once it's moving its a right bugger to catch 😎

Weren't they originally wanted and designed as a trainer jet and as such the Adours would have been more than sufficient for such a role?

The Hawks aren't  "that" much smaller but manage with just one Adour so they can't be "that" bad.

Regardless, it's a testament to how good overall the Jags were - bit under powered, no radar, pretty basic especially the early versions, yet part of a nuclear strike force. Love em to bits.

Seems the Indian re engine project isn't happening, that's a real shame but sadly they can't go on forever. Pity the modern stuff these days lack the charm of old.

• Like 1

Just now, Max Headroom said:

Indian ones have been built with the Agave radar for the maritime role. Very smart they look too with Sea Eagles and sea camo.

Trevor

Very true, updated with Israeli help or so I read. Love what the IAF did with them especially the latest updates. But sadly I think they're done for soon.

Before I decide whether to splash out on the Reskit jet pipes, I thought I’d have a go at sorting these out. I decided they’d be better without that etched rim, it was so thin and flimsy I couldn’t keep it perfectly round so it ruined the look of the pipe.

99-C9863-A-10-B0-4620-8322-CBBEAC7-E17-E

My usual hamfisted attempt at brush painting needed to go too, so I sanded off the silver from the burner cans ready for spray painting. Why do Humbrol paints always leave brush marks?

Much tidier after spraying. I also repainted the petals on the reheat nozzles, and cut off four on each one that were overlapping because the circumference was greater than the inside of the kit parts.

D3-D29963-F27-B-4-B55-8-F3-B-09-F4384-B5

AE3-B590-A-6-C46-43-C8-835-C-68-EA8-C010

Fitted on the Jaguar. If I still think they ruin the look of it after it’s finished I might yet look for the resin set. Although they’re meant for the Kittyhawk Jag so don’t know if they’ll fit. I still need to fill the gaps around the burner cans too.

F0-D28-EB6-750-C-4049-8-C98-CFB4-C5-C839

• Like 3

I think that’ll do for the jet pipes. I added plastic card to cover the gap either side and just used a black pen for the tiny bolts around the burner cans. They probably don’t look any clumsier than my scratchbuilt flaps!

558-CF3-F0-858-E-4139-8025-D3054-B9-EA4-

01-D84-F72-A518-41-C1-9-CF5-B985-FCB6511

• Like 4

I’ve painted the gunports, I mixed red, silver and brown for that metallic burnt maroon that they seemed to be. I’ll dry brush some silver on them later then dirt wash.

323-DBD0-F-A9-E9-4-A90-B099-A646-B756940

• Like 3

Hopefully the gun ports look more metallic now.

DE9-C0-D7-E-93-D2-46-CD-BB08-C0-CFA0-EE6

The wheels needed some work. Airfix had left two big mould marks on each tyre, so those needed sanding, plus where they’d been attached to the sprue. Whilst sanding these I decided to flatten the bottoms for that weighted wheel look. 

6523299-E-89-E9-4240-B0-AF-A36-A1-F7-BA4

I used a cocktail stick to paint the black nuts around the inside rims.

D033-B4-A7-2-FB4-4243-BB9-B-B7-C0699-D8-

• Like 3

I fitted the main oleos and added a piece of wire to each for an extra bit of detail.

82-F4-E3-D1-15-AF-4601-A383-6-BAE4402202

3-F751-C32-BD7-E-43-B8-8183-D6702-F62694

In the meantime, here’s what the postie brought today!

BE176-F65-32-A1-49-EC-BC5-D-154-A3716-CB

• Like 3

HAve fun withthe Vulcan.

I am a bit surprised that with all the 'done detailing' that you have left the flash/mould seams along the oleos, the one place where true roundness should be on show.

The gun port treatment I used on my Jags was to paint the ports silver (other metallic Vallejo paints are available) and to get the peculiar smeared on protective look I drew over the silver with a red marker pen.  I used a red pen supplied specifically for writing on home-brewed CDs

This is one of mine, the elderly Airfix 1/72 scale issue.

P1090392

• Like 2

I'd suggest just running the blade of a modelling knife along the edge to make it look round again, as designed.

It won't need much fettling, attacking it with a file might do more harm than good.

Soon have it tickety-boo.

• Thanks 1

Looking good - getting the Airfix Jag to sit level on its wheels & not ‘toe out’ is a major step.  The legs always dry fit so well, then just won’t quite go right for me

• Thanks 1

The rear cockpit bulkhead was a bit plain so I added a few bits. I’ll need to add two jacks for the canopy later as it’s going to be displayed open.

91-F1-D7-A0-831-A-42-D2-B12-A-013-A0-D94

6641419-C-6039-4445-8-DED-7-BC20-DC35-E8

• Like 3

Hopefully it stands up to scrutiny. I added some nose weight but I’m not sure I needed to; better safe than sorry. I’d like more Jags but not sure I can be bothered cutting up all those flaps again. Maybe there’ll be a new tool one at some point!

68-EFEDFF-36-BB-4570-82-D8-79-F90-D57-D1

• Like 7

I wasn’t happy with how the instrument panel shroud looked. Too big a step where the panel joins, plus a join line down the middle, so I added some plastic card to raise it closer to the same level, and sanded down the join.

109-E1-FBA-8-DA7-4544-9-F5-D-45800-A2861

7-FD9-A091-536-B-40-FD-A2-B9-18-A7-D4-EE

Should look good enough once the windscreen and HUD is fitted.

• Like 4

Staying with the cockpit I thought it needed a bit more ironmongery in there. It looks better when it’s not so close-up! @Fritag what was the view like out of there!? 

D499-ACA4-32-B4-4877-9048-1-C2-B06113-FB

F71-A0-B9-A-A852-42-E4-B7-CF-76007-B522-

Looking at walkaround photos the kit struts between oleos and main gear doors are far too thick, so I’ll use a length of wire instead. 

C86-C2-D2-F-86-A8-4-D9-C-90-B4-342823506

• Like 5

Undercarriage and airbrakes all done. 

CE23-B699-A163-4330-AD63-4-ECE165-B7-EBC

I used the Air Master nose probe as it’s much better than the kit one. Just needs the paint smoothing down once it’s dry.

9970-ED75-27-A4-4-A85-98-B5-F6531-CA0808

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

@Fritag what was the view like out of there!? 

Sometimes hilly, sometimes flat, sometimes sandy, sometimes only the sea.   Just depended where you were really :whistle:

It was pretty good actually.  The gubbins on the coaming didn’t get really get in the way and the canopy was wide enough that you could twist around and look back past the bang seat head box reasonably well.  Not F16 levels of viz- but nowt to complain about.  The secret to good lookout was the same as it ever was - keep your head out of the cockpit and turning, your eyes moving and look purposefully.  Don’t matter how big your window is if you don’t look out of it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looking very much like the Jaguar I recall from way back. Lovely aircraft, and you should be proud of your efforts so far.

I think I need to put a Jag on my wish list, perhaps this scale too..........🤔 I've been looking out for the Kittyhawk offering but they seem as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth, but this Airfix jobby doesn't seem too bad at all.

Nice work.

Terry

• Thanks 1