Thanks @bar side, I wondered about that, I’ll paint that part camo, I’m assuming the insides are the same, one green and one grey. That yellowy colour seems to be just the wheel bays.

@Selwyn might know, although i think he may be a weapons man rather than anti weapons devices!

Terry all comes under the bombhead trade .. junior service like Selwyn orsenior like me..lol

Shar had ale40 as stardard fit on front line so I would imagine Jags would too....they must have just about all gone from RAFG by then

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bar side said:

Looking good.  Check the inside of the airbrakes though.  I think they were painted the outside camo colour

Airbrake_Jaguar_(MAA).JPG

This must be right, every photo* I have of Jaguars on the ground with brakes open shows the interior of the brakes and well in the exterior, cam colours.

*I must have hundreds of Jag pictures, making three at once generated a huge stack of vital info. Sometimes wonder why...  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi LR

A bit late to the party. The interior of the airbrake bays is primer but where the airbrake itself closes on to the engine door and recess is in camo.

Hope you don't mind but you have a slight issue with the slats as it looks like you have a recess on the wing leading edge into which they seem to be fitted. In reality the wing leading edge was a constant aerofoil profile with the slats themselves having an aerofoil profile with a sharp trailing edge; when retracted the slats 'blend' into the wing leading edge and sit on top of it giving the characteristic dog tooth profile. I may be mistaken but it looks like you have a gap / step between the slat training edge and the wing profile.

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/images9/waJag-44.jpg

ALE 40 was a separate mod to the GR1a upgrade but was certainly installed around that time (I was at Abingdon 1984 - 89)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To my eye (and from memory of the real things coming off the production lines), the inner part of the airbrake (front half) is zinc chromate yellow and the part behind the actuator jack is cam. Main bay internals zinc chromate as you can see in above pic,? Thats certainly for early Jags with LAG undersides.

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks gents, some really helpful info here! I think I can save the slats, I’ll add some plastic card behind them onto the wing leading edge to fill the gap. 

Airbrake area definitely camo, and I’ll do the inside of the flaps themselves in that metallic colour in the photo. 

Hopefully I’ll get time tomorrow as we’re off to the open air theatre this afternoon. After my attempts at slats and air brakes the Comedy of Errors seems a very appropriate title!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you mean the inside face of the airbrake door, that should be in camo, they're always very dirty especially the port one as this is where the exhaust for the Microturbo GPU is

cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After my rather amateur attempt at the leading edge I’ve tried to address the issue with some plastic card. 

B132-A046-412-C-47-BC-A6-AE-4-CFEF69879-

And the undersides …

F2-E69665-6-E0-A-465-E-AF45-6-C109526423

Hopefully after reattaching the slats it won’t be too noticeable.

36-BEC727-3097-41-DD-B57-D-10-EB73-FAC1-

• Like 3

Airbrakes and area painted to match the camo scheme. 

5-B1-AAB3-C-7795-4-CE7-B27-C-0063-A475-E

That wing root is unattractive, close ups do it no favours! Hadn’t even noticed, I thought I’d wiped it smooth. Too late now, the undercarriage and fuel tanks should hide it pretty well anyway. 

• Like 2

I hand painted the black leading edges on the fin, wings and tailplanes. I used coal black as they’re not actually black I don’t think, looking at the contrast with the black fin tip in photos, for which I used normal Humbrol 33 black.

F2726-E22-6-EA8-442-D-82-E1-B0-E07-BE9-A

• Like 8

That’s some terrific scratch work on those control surfaces. Clearly wasn’t easy given the kit oob, but you’ve nailed it. Good choice on the black too. I think that even when something is jet black in reality, at scale it often looks better to take the edge off it. I’m cobbling together a TR-1 at the moment and I’m getting close to the painting stage and black is definitely challenging on a model.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Filler said:

That’s some terrific scratch work on those control surfaces. Clearly wasn’t easy given the kit oob, but you’ve nailed it. Good choice on the black too. I think that even when something is jet black in reality, at scale it often looks better to take the edge off it. I’m cobbling together a TR-1 at the moment and I’m getting close to the painting stage and black is definitely challenging on a model.

Yes my TR-1 was a bit patchy on the black.  I didn’t mind as they are not perfectly even all over.  I should really get it out & call it down a bit.  I have a blackbird to do now as well so going to have to have another think about black…

The centreline pylon looked far too bare and smooth.

D6-EE9-EE8-FB4-A-487-C-BD17-A23-BA586-AA

I used plastic card and some spare etch to fashion something that looks a bit like stores attachments to the untrained and distant eye …

8-BB6-F0-FB-0843-42-D5-B811-198580-E3-FF

• Like 3

Time to work on the Adours. Were these the aircraft’s Achilles heal, or was that just banter from Lightning and Phantom crews? I wonder how even more capable the Jaguar would have been with a couple of J79s or RB199s …

There’s etch for the jet pipes, though it’s not the best fit. I had to cut the end of the pipe off, and hollow the rim out inside to get the ‘petals’ to fit. 

9-A845641-5271-4-B73-BC09-32-C17-FF7-AEF

90-FB1-D90-5-C3-B-4570-895-C-D341342-D6-

Rather than the see through etch fan blades I stuck the solid kit part back on the end in case you could see light through it.

And the outer rim with what I assume are the little nozzles to inject fuel for reheat?

FC930-E18-D172-4-DCA-9-B27-FCD2-BAE9-D42

I’ll let all this set before painting the burner cans.

• Like 1

More excellent work going on. As for the Adours, the early versions were asthmatic and the RAF at least later upgraded theirs, although I seem to remember the French didn’t bother. It must be doing something good as there are enough of them on Jags and Hawks to this day. However, the Indians were toying with re engining theirs with (I think) Honeywell turbofans as part of their DARIN upgrades. Don’t think it came to anything though.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2021 at 2:18 PM, Agent K said:

I'd always believed they were reflective material and there to assist rescue helicopters in spotting a downed crew. Happy to be corrected on this however.

I think they are made of some kind of velvety material to protect the canopy when there is contact during hard manoeuvres. USAF helmets also have thick leather patches for the same purpose (speaking under correction here).

Pierre

I’m not sure I’m completely happy with these. They just don’t look crisp enough because the etched rim was so flimsy and the petal cylinder too long. I’m going to see if I can find any aftermarket resin jet pipes for it.

E6-D616-E5-A0-F0-4407-9-CA5-BB352-C86-C6

A3-A69-EA5-3453-443-F-A6-E2-178766648779

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

As for the Adours, the early versions were asthmatic and the RAF at least later upgraded theirs, although I seem to remember the French didn’t bother.

True.  The Mk 104s were better than the 102s and the 106s better again (altho’ the latter were after my time).  I can say that a jag at Red Flag in the Nevada desert (even with 104s) with a centre line tank, 4 x 1,000lbers plus dash 10 and phimat pods took an awful lot of the Nellis AFB runway to get airborne….

On t’other hand it still cruised around at 100ft/250ft happily at 450kts (and most jets standard cruise speed at low level was 420kts) and did the attack run at 480kts - which plenty fast enough to have fun with :D.

5 hours ago, atc1225 said:
On 6/14/2021 at 1:18 PM, Agent K said:

I'd always believed they were reflective material and there to assist rescue helicopters in spotting a downed crew. Happy to be corrected on this however.

I think they are made of some kind of velvety material to protect the canopy when there is contact during hard manoeuvres. USAF helmets also have thick leather patches for the same purpose (speaking under correction here).

Pierre

It’s a clever thought Pierre - but the white/silvery crosses on the helmets were indeed reflective material as Agent K says.

• Like 4

It’s a shame you can’t get the Adours from the Kitty Hawk kit on their own.  Very little in terms of good aftermarket engines out there.  The work on the Kitty Hawk engines on the build is unreal

• Like 1

I found some jet pipes, etc on eBay by ‘Reskit’, though they’re very expensive, pretty much the same as I got the kit for! Anyone know if they’d fit the Airfix kit?

Adour 106 was a bastardised version of the export engine and re-used most of the engine core with a few new upgraded sections, it wasn't as powerful as the export engine ISTR. Typical cost cutting...

John

• Like 1