I have a couple of these in the stash so thought it about time I made one of Coltishall’s finest! I remember spending many days during holidays to Norfolk at the end of the runway watching these, and seeing them quite frequently at low level over the coast and countryside. It was a sad day when Coltishall closed; hopefully this will be a worthy tribute to those great days for watching and photography.

I have some aftermarket goodies to add to this one too. I’ll probably be making her in 6 Sqn markings, as the decal set includes the two letter tail codes for ‘EE’ but no ‘G’ prefix for 54.

0334-C9-C5-0628-4-FED-91-E4-34218-EFB437

7-C0998-D1-E482-410-E-A49-A-5-E105-A2013

49-BB46-A7-E0-FD-46-C4-B162-9603-ABC4-A9

Any suggestions and comments, etc always welcome. 

• Like 7

I really enjoyed building mine. I believe it's a much easier build than the Kittyhawk one, and apparently more accurate. The Airfix intakes have the aux doors moulded open which I think only occurs when aircraft has the engine running on the ground or at low speed eg taxiing. On the ground with engines off the aux doors are closed.....May or may not bother you.......resin replacements with closed aux doors are still available, from Phase Hanger.

Have fun with it.

Q

PS Neomega do a nice cockpit.

• Thanks 1

Who doesn’t like a coltishall jag? :D

I was on 6 at the time of it’s 75th in 1989 as it happens.

We took some 5000 first day covers for a spin as part of the anniversary commemorations.  But it doesn’t look as if any of the aircraft in the Xtradecal set was one of those.  The aircraft carrying the codes squadron EE and EA in the decal set look to have have different serial numbers.

A445AD26-5A02-4882-9D02-43469D34660E

FWIW all the jags on 6 and 54 in 1989 would have been GR1As/T2As.  No GR1s left on the Coltishall squadrons by then.

Steve

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @Fritag! Can I assume from your tag on here you were flying as No. 7 in XZ104 that day? Impressive stuff, massive respect.

Interesting you mention about the serials as I’ve been looking for photos of XX116 in camo colours and 6 Sqn markings and can’t find one. Quite a few Jags have been EE but I can’t find the one on the decal sheet. However, I’m going to be making her as a bit earlier than ‘89; probably 1987 when I first went to Coltishall. Would that still be a GR.1A by then?

I remember a squadron exchange around then with some USAFE F-16s, I need to dig out my old Kodachrome photos at my dad’s! If I can scan them on here I will. Were you involved in that exchange? 

Well, it was some much younger iteration of me anyways :D The past is a different country and populated by different people!!

I was flying as what we quaintly used to call 'the bounce'.

The other 6 would have flown a well spaced out 'card' formation at 250';  3 pairs of aircraft up to 3 nm apart line abreast and the pairs in trail, spaced c.30 secs or nearly 4 nm apart.  It could only work with  accurate navigation and good situational awareness as the aircraft would often be out of sight of each other.

The bounce flew as a singleton acting as an enemy aggressor aircraft, and had licence to roam wherever and simulate enemy fighter interceptions on the formation.  It was basically licensed hooliganism and ginormous fun albeit with a serious purpose.

We did an exchange with a USAAF F16 squadron based at Hahn, Germany in September 1988, and that may be what you are remembering?  I was part of the ‘home’ team that hosted the Americans, although I went to do the Tactical Leadership Program (TLP) in Jever shortly after that and so I was also prepping for that.

We lost an aircraft and a pilot from the ‘away’ team Jag Loss 7/9/88 , which is why I remember it as being 1988.

Cheers

Steve.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant insight Steve, love to read proper accounts from those who’ve actually had the cahunas and skill to do it for real. The ‘Jaguar Boys’ and other ‘... Boys’ series are cracking reads too!

On a more banal level, these arrived today.

AEB69-E45-7-F26-4-C43-B537-7302-CCB9-DB6

Enough codes here to do most Jags, and after some deliberation I think mine will be XX962/EK. @Fritag do you ever remember flying that one?

F6-FC0-C20-F8-C5-44-C7-B2-F7-B0-D6204-FA

I’m not convinced by the shade of 6 Sqn blue on the Kits World decals though, I’ll go with the Xtradecal markings.

6303-A73-D-C4-AF-40-DF-A917-2518-DE71-AB

Finally I made a start on the office; paint, decals and pedals anyway, the latter need straightening though, looks like it’s a bootful of left rudder at the moment!

35-B730-EC-A4-CE-4514-A898-4-DD45-B90-DD

• Like 2

There are not many better guides to these than @Massimo thread

Lots of ideas for upgrades & scratch bits.  The obvious is always the aux intake doors.  Also don’t forget the Bentwaters Cold War Museum has a lovely ground runner for reference pictures.  Looking forward to seeing yours come along.  I do like an Airfix Jag even if I have yet to get the undercarriage quite right!

jWsQqP2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

I’m not convinced by the shade of 6 Sqn blue on the Kits World decals though, I’ll go with the Xtradecal markings.

I found evidence of both shades, year dependent when I was researching mine.

We constantly beat this dead horse in here, find a picture (five pictures or a hundred pictures) of the subject you want to make and follow that on the build.

These were easy to find, mostly different stripes

https://i.postimg.cc/DZDMTy5m/1176106.jpg

This is an image I cannot place open but am able to link to it

And

ac538238.jpg

And this might be a familiar figure

EM001-zpse627737a.jpg

gunstripe1.jpg

gunstripe3.jpg

gunstripe7.jpg

As you see the stripes and colours and numbers of zigzags even are a moveable feast.

Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

after some deliberation I think mine will be XX962/EK. @Fritag do you ever remember flying that one?

As it happens I do.  And I’m reminded I did, every time I make some coffee or print summat in my study at home :)

F42D0544-425E-45F7-AE34-BAD3FC9DABBF

Taken on the same sortie as this:

180A6C4F-B47A-4C2E-9753-71C47EB7D5F5

2 tanks, 2 Aim 9s and an LGB wasn’t ever a feasible war load so I’d ignore that if I were you.  Otherwise, as Bill says:

33 minutes ago, perdu said:

find a picture (five pictures or a hundred pictures) of the subject you want to make and follow that on the build.

:rofl:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Beautiful!  I've always been curious: what is the purpose of the white stripes on the pilots' bone domes?  Is it for safety / visibility on the ground -- so as not to get run over by someone driving a fuel bowser or Landie?  Alex

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful!  I've always been curious: what is the purpose of the white stripes on the pilots' bone domes?  Is it for safety / visibility on the ground -- so as not to get run over by someone driving a fuel bowser or Landie?  Alex

So the pilot know which way is up?  I’ll get my coat….

• Haha 2

Outstanding stuff @Fritag, thanks for sharing those! I’ll be making her with just the underwing tanks as that’s the fit I remember seeing most of the time. Although a couple of those practice bomb carriers would be nice for the outboard pylons.

From your pics and the one I found below, it looks like the Xtradecal colour is closest for the squadron markings. 

42389404-667-B-45-E2-B093-41-B06-CEA6200

• Like 3

What a great thread @Lord Riot, regarding one of my fav cold war aircraft. I love the Jaguar, not only because it's an absolute superb looker, but I had a small part in its intro into production, in another life. way back in the 70's when I worked in the Jaguar project office in the MOD. Not quite fresh from school, but almost. I got many opportunities to see these very new (then) beauties, rolling off the production line in Lancashire (Preston and Warton). Not really anything like as prestigious and totally key connection as @Fritag, but I enjoyed my couple of years being close to such a beauty. I should add that at the time, the project office I was part of also oversaw Canberra, Lightning and Jet Provost (3 & 5) mod programmes. Such very happy days!

Will follow this with much interest. I built a couple in my youth (gentlemens scale) and probably should get around to building a 1/48 Jag sometime soon, to try and do a great aircraft justice.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A grey/green Kitty is a joy to behold - can’t be doing with the grey and pink iterations. I’ll tag along if you don’t mind.

Never built the Airfix version, but if I come across one at a reasonable price, then happy days. I’ve got a Kitty Hawk one on a very slow build and can confirm it’s a right old curate’s egg. Lovely moulding, dubious detail and a lousy fit. Not a kit to enthuse even a die hard Jag lover.

Trevor

• Like 2

Thanks gents, for the encouragement and interest! Very nice to have so many knowledgeable chaps watching, it spurs one on to make the best job of it. 

I’ve made a start on @Fritag’s seat!

CC3-E0399-11-A5-44-BE-AF33-F022-BE98-A92

5-BEC2930-C0-BF-4-A61-8-F3-B-0-B0-BFFA4-

Close ups do it no favours but I’ve got a bit more work to do on it yet. There don’t seem to be any decals for the head box area so I’ll root something suitable from my spares bag. 

Rather than the Eduard instrument panels I just used the kit decals, as I’d have to paint the brass ones, they’d never look as good. I do have a second Jag in the stash though, so I may try them next time.

@Max Headroom I completely agree. Grey is for Lightnings and Phantoms; mud movers should have plenty of green! 

• Like 4

I felt the airbrake wells needed more detail, so added a few bits of wire, tube and plastic to busy them up a little.

D889-C06-E-9-AA4-4997-9-A46-16-AA12-A52-

812-FB343-808-C-4684-B356-FB353-D8-DBEB5

A coat of that weird yellow-green interior colour that seems unique to the Jag.

794645-CD-8-D6-E-46-A9-9-E2-B-3-B956-FA5

• Like 11

Having seen @Massimo’s amazing Jaguar WIP, and every photo of a parked Jag having the slats and flaps down, despite fearing I’m getting into something above my ability I couldn’t let these go:

545781-C9-E838-41-F6-86-AF-315176-E4-E2-

113-A57-FB-CABB-4-F75-96-E3-D3100825-FA9

I still think I may regret this, but I have to try. 

The first cut ...

05-DECE53-7-B38-4-F1-E-B86-A-39-AD634-B8

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, bar side said:

Always smile at the way the underside wing ends don’t line up with the rest.  May be better to chop them off & rebuild

Not just the ends, none of it seems to line up! I’m just going to cut the tops along the lines then match the underside cuts to that. Lots of filling and rescribing and usage of plastic card I imagine. I may be some time.

• Like 2

Brave move, but I’m sure you’ll be glad you did when it’s finished. By coincidence I have cut the first of four flaps from the TR-1 I’ve picked up again after a gap of a few years.

With your Jag, this is another occasion where Paragon are sorely missed as they did very nice resin flaps and slats for the Airfix Jag.

• Like 1

This maybe a bit late for you. The upper and lower wing skins don't match around the flaps. The upper wing skin extends over the flap.

spacer.png

Have a look through the BM walkround section. There is a huuge section of photo's showing the Jaguars at Cosford.

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, excellent photo! Fortunately all I’ve cut off so far is that one slat, so I’ll use this and the walk around photos when I start on the flaps. 

Top surfaces all cut free. It was made more difficult on the ailerons as Airfix had moulded the upper and underside as one piece at the wing tip. 

26-F36-B2-A-D80-F-4061-9077-93-C7-FE42-F

I had to cut off the whole depth for the underside above too on the outer part because of how it’s moulded. I then filed the top part of the protruding tab so just the underside is there. I’ll fill the gap in the upper surface with plastic card.

6-F7-EC166-E540-49-BF-BDDA-4-AA087796-A6

The undersides should be simpler as it’s just one thickness of plastic.

• Like 2