A Good Omen

Posted (edited)

Finally got  around to watching "Good Omens" on Netflix.

I have to say, I enjoy anything that deals with religion, the devil, Bible etc in such an irreverent way The  pairing of David Tennant and, Michael Sheen in the lead roles was, a match made in heaven (no pun intended)!

Quirky, subtle, sometimes off the wall humour. Maybe not to everyone's taste but, I loved this!

I reckon 6 episodes was about right though. Not sure if it could have worked  with being stretched out over longer.

Anybody seen "Lucifer"?

Must admit I wasn't too sure to begin with but, I'm hooked!

A brilliant, slightly camp performance from Tom Ellis really stands out! Hard to imagine anyone else in the role now.

I think  his sidekick/bodyguard Mazikeen, is worth a series in her own right! 😉😊

John

Edited by Beermonster1958
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade here, but "Good Omens" was a two- or three-episode story stretched very thin indeed to six episodes. Fairly entertaining, in its own way, but a surprisingly "slight" story considering the subject matter. Even the combined talents of Sheen and Tennant couldn't hide the deficiencies of the narrative. I would rate it as a "C+" - must try harder. 

Lucifer. Oh boy... where do I start? I have lost count of the number of episodes I have actually fallen asleep to. Tom Ellis is very good in the title-role and the rest of the cast do a pretty good job. But it is so unrelentingly, tediously repetitive.... yet another example of American TV trying to squeeze every last drop of life out of a decent idea. I've watched half of season 6 and I'm not too sure I'll bother finishing it off, once Netflix makes the second part of the series available. 

Another, much more minor point.... Lucifer's girlfriend is supposed to be so appealing to him that he actually changes his evil ways for her. I have to say that the actress they cast is fairly ordinary to look at, in Hollywood terms (yes, I'm being pretty sexist here and looks are entirely a matter of personal opinion, but even so... she's not stunning, from where I'm sitting). She just doesn't seem like great casting, unfortunately. In a perfect world, folks (myself included) wouldn't need to rate actors at this level... but most of us do it, to a greater-or-lesser degree, every day. Other users' experiences may differ.   

Cheers. 

Chris. 

On 29/05/2021 at 10:12, Beermonster1958 said:

Not sure if it could have worked  with being stretched out over longer.

But there is a sequel coming - apparently Pratchett and Gaiman had put together at least the bones of a book before Terry died. To be honest, I wasn't too bothered by the plot one way or another - its all about Tennant and Sheen and the interplay of their characters ... these actors don't really need a story as evidenced by 'Staged'.

If you haven't seen it, I can recommend the 1st series of 'Jessica Jones' (Netflix I think) as an example of Tennant as a villian having an absolute blast in the role. Sadly he didn't feature in the 2nd series which was not worth watching

7 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

yet another example of American TV trying to squeeze every last drop of life out of a decent idea

Very interesting the difference between US and UK TV - in the US they will keep a show running until the ratings drop, drafting in new writers as required. This often results in initially outstanding shows becoming very tired (Friends, Frasier, West Wing, MASH etc. etc.) I don't think the US TV environment lends itself to short (4 - 6) episode series. In the UK, shows are likely to more often the product of one or two writers and tend to have a planned life span - and that's it. That said, it can mean that UK comedy shows can be a bit formulaic ... there is a bit of the pantomime about them (catch phrases and set pieces). Of course there are notable exceptions both sides of the pond.

Cheers

Colin

9 hours ago, ckw said:

But there is a sequel coming - apparently Pratchett and Gaiman had put together at least the bones of a book before Terry died. To be honest, I wasn't too bothered by the plot one way or another - its all about Tennant and Sheen and the interplay of their characters ... these actors don't really need a story as evidenced by 'Staged'.

If you haven't seen it, I can recommend the 1st series of 'Jessica Jones' (Netflix I think) as an example of Tennant as a villian having an absolute blast in the role. Sadly he didn't feature in the 2nd series which was not worth watching

Very interesting the difference between US and UK TV - in the US they will keep a show running until the ratings drop, drafting in new writers as required. This often results in initially outstanding shows becoming very tired (Friends, Frasier, West Wing, MASH etc. etc.) I don't think the US TV environment lends itself to short (4 - 6) episode series. In the UK, shows are likely to more often the product of one or two writers and tend to have a planned life span - and that's it. That said, it can mean that UK comedy shows can be a bit formulaic ... there is a bit of the pantomime about them (catch phrases and set pieces). Of course there are notable exceptions both sides of the pond.

Cheers

Colin

That's why Canada is a great place to watch TV. We get both British and American TV. Though I do agree that the Americans do tend to drag the :poop: of of a lot of shows.

They also can ruin a lot of original ideas from other countries. The missus and I both loved the British series Broadchurch ( Tennant, again! ) but we only watched about half of the first episode of the US re-do ( with Tennant ). It just didn't have it!

Chris

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

That's why Canada is a great place to watch TV.

I lived there in the 70's. I recall the CBC journalists went on strike at some point, so they couldn't show the 6 o'clock news. What did they show instead? Monty Python. Brilliant

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

This is going back a long way, but I remember hearing that the second season of the original "Twin Peaks" was going to be 26 episodes long. Talk about flogging a dead horse...

I'm convinced that American TV execs see a hit-show and their first thought is "How many more seasons can we wring outa this?" A classic case of "never ming the quality, just feel the width". 

Rapidly diminishing returns, fellas...

Chris. 

• 3 weeks later...