1/48 Percival Vega Gull, Dora Wings

This one was part of a twin build, the other being DoraWings Proctor qualifying for the Anzac GB which is just finishing. I felt that building two similar kits at once would be efficient........we all know that thought probably!

Any way I present the Vega Gull representing VP-KCC the aircraft flown by Beryl Markham who flew across the Atlantic solo in 1936.

DoraWings kits, the three I've built anyway, are quite frustrating - decent representations of the aircraft, but minor errors in the instructions and parts make for a more troublesome build than they might be. Overall happy with the results though.

I scratched the long range fuel tank and placed this where the rear seat would have been. No reference photos for this, so artistic licence used. Also scratched the exhausts which probably cant be seen in pics but are surprisingly not represented in the kit.....

20210513_192128_resized.jpg

20210513_192148_resized.jpg

20210513_192204_resized.jpg

20210513_192119_resized.jpg

20210513_192140_resized.jpg

And in the company of the Proctor built at the same time.

20210411_172357_resized.jpg

WIP thread 

Hope of interest

JP

Edited by Jpthedog
  • Like 42

Very nice, it is indeed a very elegant aeroplane. I rarely say this but your modelling is essentially flawless. 

Of course you may wish to point out some flaw. I doubt you can. 

Superb work. 

You know when I log onto BM. I always look forward to RFI in the hope of seeing builds like this. Similarly like Baldwins F4E-J also here at the moment. I'm rarely disappointed. 

Keep up the good work. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

It is a very pretty little aeroplane, and I love your rendition. Did you custom mix the fuselage colour?

I was tempted by this in 1/48, but git the 1/72 version instead as it would fit in with my Tiger and Gypsy Moth collection. But I may get a 1/48 version as well having seen how beautifully yours has turned out.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Really nice couple! I especially like the turquoise one since it is so beautiful and a perfect match to the registration decals.

May I ask what paint did you use for that?

• Like 1

What a lovely pair, they look wonderful.  You have done a grand job on them both, the window framing on the Vega Gull looks particularly good too. Wonderful.

Saw a Procter flying yesterday at Headcorn Aerodrome,  got a video of it taxiing and taking off.  Also got the Procter in the stash.

Great work 

Chris

21 hours ago, Viking said:

It is a very pretty little aeroplane, and I love your rendition. Did you custom mix the fuselage colour?

I was tempted by this in 1/48, but git the 1/72 version instead as it would fit in with my Tiger and Gypsy Moth collection. But I may get a 1/48 version as well having seen how beautifully yours has turned out.

Cheers

John

Thank you John. Paint used was Vallejo Game Effects Verdigris 72.135 - no idea how I arrived at that but it is a lovely paint to spray on and is a close match to the decals. Do like the DH Moths too 1/72 and  1/48.

19 hours ago, Whirly said:

Really nice couple! I especially like the turquoise one since it is so beautiful and a perfect match to the registration decals.

May I ask what paint did you use for that?

Cheers Whirly. See above on the paint

Just got to look for another model to use it on!

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a lovely pair, they look wonderful.  You have done a grand job on them both, the window framing on the Vega Gull looks particularly good too. Wonderful.

Saw a Procter flying yesterday at Headcorn Aerodrome,  got a video of it taxiing and taking off.  Also got the Procter in the stash.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris. I used a chrome pen for the window framing after masking it. Haven't seen a Proctor flying for ages - I must come down from the North sometime! JP

28 minutes ago, Jpthedog said:

Thanks Chris. I used a chrome pen for the window framing after masking it. Haven't seen a Proctor flying for ages - I must come down from the North sometime! JP

Thanks for the info, it was lovely to see it.  It was wearing it's original RAF issued serial number too. 

Chris

• Like 1