Zvezda 1/72 Mig-3.

RevDWC

Here is my entry. It only arrived yesterday after the EBay seller sent the wrong kit initially. It wasn't what I intended to build, but it seemed like a sign, and I've been meaning to start working through my WW2 Russian stash. I'll be doing it  the same as the box art winter scheme.

Will take a few stabs at building it over the weekend.

spacer.png

• Like 3

It's Best described as an honest attempt, but not going to set the world talking. Having looked at Scalemates, it's a re-pop of an older kit that has done the rounds for 20+ years. 

Smarter people than me recommend the Hobbyboss kit, and if had been available here I may have bought that, but not every hobby decision we make is rational is it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi @RevDWC

Welcome to the GB, and with one of those aircraft that looks fast even when standing still !

Not an aircraft or kit I'm familiar with but that just makes it all the more interesting. 

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

Calling time for today. Progress has been slow, with distractions and the, err, features of the kit.

There is one single locating pin near the tail, and not a lot to fix the cockpit in place. Tomorrow morning I'll get it primed and see how much filler will be needed for wing and tailplane joins.spacer.png

• Like 5

Slapped a bit of putty into the large wing and stabiliser root gaps. Will give it some time to set.spacer.png

• Like 2

Feels like I'm making progress now I have some primer on. Had to do a couple of rounds with extra filler to smooth things out, but now it looks acceptable.

Just about to shoot the first coat of Ammo Mig Satin White on the top sides.

spacer.png

• Like 2

The lights came as part of the booth, which I bought secondhand. It all collapses down to pack away if you need the space.

spacer.png

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, RevDWC said:

The lights came as part of the booth, which I bought secondhand. It all collapses down to pack away if you need the space.

spacer.png

Thanks Rev, just what I need with my first airbrush on the way, not overly spendy either. How is progress, looking promising up to your last post.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Progress has stalled today. I've sat down to work on masking a couple of times since getting home from work and just wasn't able to relax and get things done. Seems that for now models are a weekend thing.

I see you're in (or around) Nelson, which is also where the seller of those paint booths is located. They also sell on TradeMe. I'm pretty happy with the booth, the fan seems to cope with short bursts from spray cans well enough that fumes aren't an issue.

Cheers , Justin.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RevDWC said:

They also sell on TradeMe.

Thanks Justin, they only sell on Trademe, or at least they don't allow pickups, still only $10.00 to get it delivered so I can see something like this in my future. Interested that they say OK for aerosols but not flammable paints, so wonder how it would cope with enamels.

Steve.

Fast progress. Indeed this is a kit that has been in a dozen boxes, Hobbyboss is a nicer basis for a MiG-3, and better in shape, but the cockpit is solid so there's that to fix.

Although not very well remembered, after the disastrous start of the  campaign in Russia for the VVS, the MiG was one of the few fast, modern aircraft available in any numbers to help out the Polikarpovs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1