Revell 1/144 747-400 Virgin Atlantic

Virgin Atlantic 747-400 Virgin Atlantic 747-400 Virgin Atlantic 747-400

This model turned out to be a very slow long build that started in 2003 and finished in March 2021.  Part of the reason for the length of time was a move from the UK to New Zealand which resulted in the build being stuck in storage for 8 years. 

Before I go into the build I want to point out I consider myself a very amateur modeller with limited and rather ham-fisted skills. The finish is far from what I would have liked and is a reflection of my lack of skill!

I wanted to create a more dynamic build and started with creating CAD drawings of the trailing edge and leading edge flaps from OEM data which I then modified to work on the Revell kit. As I was working on the type for a living, I was in a good position to get images and drawings to correct the kit as best I could. 

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

The original kit was the Lufthansa livery. I supplemented this with parts from the British Airways livery kit.  Kit upgrades included my 3D printed flaps and leading edges, 3D printed ‘engine cores’ which were for roller bearings and 3D printed compressor fans and spinners...

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

...photoetch detailing for rain gutters, antenna and pitot tubes, and a heap of additional and home printed decals.  Virgin Atlantic paint was kindly supplied by Virgin Atlantic (the paint they used for display models). The wings were painted in Tamiya acrylic (a mix to get closer to BAC707 grey), Alclad 2 duraluminium for the leading edges and engine inlet lips, and alclad 2 magnesium for the in-spar coroguard painted area.

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Originally I was clear varnishing with Xtra Colour acrylic clear gloss but after my move to NZ I used Alclad 2 flat, matte and gloss lacquer clears... the gloss has always remained slightly uncured for some annoying reason and the model is only handled wearing latex gloves!!

The diorama was painted with acrylics and expansion joints picked out with B2 pencil. LEDs were white, green and blue 3mm. 

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Appologies for the background of my garden and garage!!... this is the finished display.

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Virgin Atlantic 747-400

Edited by NZSpiderman
Replace google drive photos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Really looks the part! All the extra work was well worth it to produce such a beautifully finished and displayed model.

What's next, and will we have to wait until 2038? :wink:

Cheers

John