"Cream" in a Latecoere 298

Admiral Puff

I am presently going (very slowly) through the Warehouse of Doom trying to finish a few of the legion of half-started kits in there. I've dug out an Azur 1:48 scale Latecoere 298 to get on with. 

Working on the interior, I have discovered that Azur very helpfully describes the interior colour as "Cream", without any further guidance. I have no great knowledge of between-the-wars Aeronavale aircraft - I bought the kit mainly because it fitted in with my "model it if it flies and floats" theme at the time. Can anyone please advise:

1. Was the interior actually "Cream"?

2. If so, what is the closest available model paint to the tone?

3. If not, what was the correct colour?

I think the correct colour is 'Chamois' - an interior protective coating. Cream is not an unreasonable description. The only source I know of for the correct colour is Colourcoats (Soveriegn hobbies) - but that hasn't been in stock for some time. 

I've used Humrol Hu 148 - Randome tan which is I think a little darker and a little more orange, but to my mind close enough for interiors.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Chamois was used as a protection for hidden surfaces for Armée de l'Air aircrafts, the chamois cockpit is a classic misconception.

The Aéronautique Navale , and specially Latécoère used light to medium blue-grey for painting interiors.

Denis

PS  remains of Latécoère 298 actually show blue-grey paint for internal parts :https://aerocherche.fr/pdf/LATE298-final.pdf

Edited by denisvanb
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Attention, the blue grey seen in the link given by Denis is too blue, the saturation is excessive.
the blue grey used for interior area cockpit before 1939 december on french aircrafts was a bit lighter than "dark blue grey" of upper surface camouflage.

• 1 month later...

chamois colour appears since jun 1939, and as Denis wrote, was used for the hidden areas. Before 1939, many cockpit receive a coat of light blue grey(Potez, Morane, Dewoitine, Latécoère, Caudron...), from 1939, cockpit was primed with one coat of chamois and one finish coat midnight blue.
Interior areas of Amiot 143 were probably light blue grey.

• Thanks 1