How to deal with rubbish decals

Baron Vaderham

Hey guys,

am working on a PLAN type 033 1/350 submarine from hobbyboss. As I tried to soak the decals they disintegrated spontaneously. Unfortunately the details they as are too smash to paint for me, so I was hoping if someone could tell me how to deal with decals that disintegrated, or perhaps knows of replacement decals of good quality. 

Microscale makes stuff called 'Liquid Decal Film'.

Its a thick liquid which you can paint over the top of old decals and it helps to hold them together

~Other modellers will suggest using the likes of the famous 'Klear' or similar but I found that too thin to do the job

I'm guessing these are white. With older decals I'll do a good scan of them in case they fail. Then I can try get the remade somehow. White might be a problem though unless the paper is blue or something.

• 2 weeks later...

What I have done in the past  with white decals is to photograph the area of the model around which the decal is to be placed.  Design a replacement to scale it using something like CorelDraw or even PowerPoint and then open up the photograph in Photoshop or even Paint and take a sample of the colour around the decal.  Make a note of the RGB colour breakdown and then draw a box around your white decal outline in the drawing programme and fill it with a custom colour made from the RGB colours.  It's not perfect but It has worked for me  The 564 on this Jetstream was printed that way:

DSC03355