Galland's Cheese Grater ##Finished##

Having always fancied building Adolf Galland's 109, @PeterB was kind enough to supply me with some decals to make that happen perfectly timed for this STGB.

Now the question is what 109 kit would do them justice, something bang up to date, the latest technology and accurate to fractions of a millimetre ?

Errr well that's doesn't describe the contents of my stash so instead, I've gone for this !

IMG_5853

Heres the parts 

IMG_5854

Check out those 1963 period details, with rivets you can grate cheese on !

IMG_5855

Pete's  decal sheet

IMG_5856

Proof of the year, and of course manufactured in Potter Bar Hertfordshire.

Good luck everyone 

Cheers Pat

• Like 18

• JOCKNEY changed the title to Galland's Cheese Grater
36 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

now that's a classic.... it might be even older than I am.

Though I think you should change the title to "Galland's Cheese Grater"! :rofl2:

That's a Grate idea ! :coat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Col. said:

Rivet-astic choice of kit Pat :D Are you building this one out-of-box?

Absolutely, handily the decals were missing on this kit so it was literally made for the job !

I think the ariel is missing as well so will be making my own.

At 1963 this kit is older than I am so, it's one antique building another antique  !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

The title had me fooled. I wondered what weird antenna structure Galland fitted. Now I see it was Revell planning for the future. They were thinking of us as we got a little older (a lot older). Give them something to grip.

Ray

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Great choice. Or should that be grate choice?!!  I bought that very boxing from my local newsagent when I suspect it was new so circa 1963 and a ten year old. I loved it. For a start it had to be right with all those details. Er I mean rivets. The Emil as moulded by Revell here is so angular and Teutonic looking. You can feel it means business whereas the Spitfire is all elegance and grace and a flying machine that doubles as a fighter. The venerable Hurricane too to a lesser extent. But the Emil looks a killing machine and built to do that function and nothing else. 

Pure nostalgia fest here so looking forward to seeing what you do with it Pat. Chair pulled up and popcorn at the ready for the off

• Like 1

Another blast from the past Pat the newsagents who I delivered papers for as a kid was a Revell stockists this and the Spitfire

were probably two of the earliest kits I built.

• Like 2

I have the same decals in my stash, didn't remember till I saw the one's @PeterB gave you. Were they from the Airfix kit? Anyway, if you need any extras you're welcome to them.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I have the same decals in my stash, didn't remember till I saw the one's @PeterB gave you. Were they from the Airfix kit? Anyway, if you need any extras you're welcome to them.

Cheers,

There's plenty of room in this GB for another Galland....

Go on you know you want to :wink:

• Like 2

When Revell started releasing this series of kits back in the 1960's they were a godsend to me as they filled in so many gaps in my collection. Not only a "proper" 109, "Zero"  and Spitfire Mk I, unlike the clunky Airfix versions together with a FW 190A but also some less well known types such as the Ki 43, Ki 61, Ki 84, P-26, P-36,  PZL-11 (or was it a 7?) and a Macchi 200. The Hurricane was a bit odd as the underside of the fuselage was flat as I recall, and the "working parts" such as opening cockpits and in some radial engined planes a removable panel to show the "highly detailed" engine did cause a few problems in terms of accuracy, but they were cheap - 2/- (10p)! I built the lot except the "Kaydet" for some reason, but all are long gone except for the Ki 43 and one of my two Emils though some linger in my "scrap box". It is not a bad kit though mine lost the pitot, aerial and aileron balance weights years ago. It has had so many "thick" coats of paint that the rivets are no longer that obvious.

Good luck with the build Pat - it will be a trip down Memory Lane for me. OOB or are you going to tart it up a bit?

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Good luck with the build Pat - it will be a trip down Memory Lane for me. OOB or are you going to tart it up a bit?

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete

Definitely OOB for me, I've a few older Revell kits in their original boxes.

PM me if you fancy a trip down memory lane, and you would be all prepared for the Revellogram GB later !

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Wow, what a jump back in time!

The first (and only) kit I ever built with someone else, in that far away past, in that instance my next door neighbor. I remember having a fight with him as to who was going to have the first shot at the 109 with the gun pellet....

This is certainly where my anarchist tendencies stem from...

Be careful not to hurt yourself with all these rivets...

It may be a bit old, but for many years it was the only game in town, and modelers made with it...

Have fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 1:06 PM, PeterB said:

When Revell started releasing this series of kits back in the 1960's they were a godsend to me as they filled in so many gaps in my collection. Not only a "proper" 109, "Zero"  and Spitfire Mk I, unlike the clunky Airfix versions together with a FW 190A but also some less well known types such as the Ki 43, Ki 61, Ki 84, P-26, P-36,  PZL-11 (or was it a 7?) and a Macchi 200. The Hurricane was a bit odd as the underside of the fuselage was flat as I recall, and the "working parts" such as opening cockpits and in some radial engined planes a removable panel to show the "highly detailed" engine did cause a few problems in terms of accuracy, but they were cheap - 2/- (10p)! I built the lot except the "Kaydet" for some reason, but all are long gone except for the Ki 43 and one of my two Emils though some linger in my "scrap box". It is not a bad kit though mine lost the pitot, aerial and aileron balance weights years ago. It has had so many "thick" coats of paint that the rivets are no longer that obvious.

You were lucky to get them for that price.  I never saw them other than more expensive than Airfix.  I cannot say for sure now whether they were 2/6 or 2/11, One being Frog, but I think 2/11 for Revell.  I think the Emil  was one of the better ones, but I rather think the Kaydet was the best of all.  Such as the Spitfire, Zero and P-51 are best forgotten, except in golden memories of youth of course.  (It was a P-11c.)

• Like 1

Thanks Graham - forgot the P-51 - I believe they wanted you to paint it red on top when it should probably have been either OD or Blue! I seem to recall that their Zero and Mustang looked rather smaller and less clunky than the Airfix versions. You are quite right about the prices, my memory must be going. In my July 1963 copy of Airfix mag is says "Revell have just released the first 6 in a new series - Thunderbolt, Spitfire, Bf 109E, Fw 190, Hurricane IIB and Zero - price 2/11". In the same issue there is an article on converting the Airfix He 111 H to a Zwilling whilst Airfix themselves had just released the JCB/Lowmac combination for 3/- and the Ariel Arrow Super Sports Motorcycle for 2/- and on the back you could get a Fireball XL5 kit for 4/6 instead of 9/- if you sent in 2 wrappers from a "Zoom 3 stage Ice Lolly" - makes me feel positively ancient. I rather wanted the XL5 kit but our one and only local shop did not sell the ruddy lolly!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

I painted an Airfix one red on top, at least I think I did, I certainly considered it.  The Millie G was illustrated in RAF Flying Review in those colours.  It should have been Olive Drab above with some red trim, but I don't think that was well known by the time the Revell kit came out.  The P-51 and the Zero were both undersized, the Spitfire had too-short wings.  The Airfix Zero had a very thick wing, but I ended up with two Frog ones which was the best of the three options.  My opinion of the Revell one is soured because I painted in in a bright light/medium green thanks to a review in Hisairdec magazine, but it was too small nevertheless.  The Ki.61 had an enormous undercarriage but I don't know what else can be said about it either way, other than it was there and good show Revell.  The Oscar had too fat a fuselage - I couldn't believe how thin the Oscar fuselage was when I eventually saw a top view, but the Hayate was pretty good.  I made two of each, whereas my far superior Hasegawa Hayate, Hasagawa/Fine Molds Ki.61s and Hasegawa/Fujimi/AML Oscars sit in their boxes.  I think this is certainly more due more to buying kits quicker than I can make them since schooldays than any reflection on the kits themselves.  That and the much wider choice nowadays (this century and the end of the last).

Didn't mention Monogram at 3/6 - or was it 4/6?  The nicest of all but very limited range.

• Like 3

Bloody 'ell Pat....this could be fun!  😄👍

A full OOB???  Or are you going to sand down those raised panel lines....and are you going to install Adolf Galland's telescope in the forward part of the canopy....(just askin'!)

Philip

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 00:59, Prenton said:

Bloody 'ell Pat....this could be fun!  😄👍

A full OOB???  Or are you going to sand down those raised panel lines....and are you going to install Adolf Galland's telescope in the forward part of the canopy....(just askin'!)

Philip

Hi Philip

I think it would be disrespectful to lose at that lovely 1963 original "detail" so the rivets are staying and the decals will have to grow a pair and be drowned in various solutions until they fit !

I think it needs a good wash first to remove the 58 years of dust :like:

Cheers Pat

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The decs I used when I refurbished one of these went over the rivets without any problems, but then they were not Airfix ones so probably a bit thinner - might be worth using aftermarket crosses if you have any - you will have to do that anyway if you are adding a Swastika! Good luck with that! I know Galland fitted a telescopic sight to his F but not sure if he had one on his various E models - I suppose he may have.

Pete

• Like 1

With both my Unarmed GB Builds finished and in the gallery, it's time to start on my 2 in this GB.

As if to confirm that this kit was always destined for a Group Build, they molded it on the inside of the cockpit

IMG_5909

Then a good session with H240

IMG_5912

Looks how much better the pilot looks to the contemporary aliens that Airfix were producing at the time !

IMG_5910

Parts fit is surprisingly good for its age

IMG_5914

Cheers Pat

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Nice work Pat👍 

I'm pretty sure I built one of these as a nipper. If I remember your can make the centre section of the canopy open and close. You going to use the pilot?

Cheers Greg

• Like 1