Galland's Cheese Grater ##Finished##

Hi Greg

Yes the instructions show the canopy open but that would involve cutting it into 3 pieces  !

Absolutely intend on using the pilot, just hope my painting skills do him justice. 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Interesting. The original release included a 3 piece canopy with pins and sockets so that you could hinge the centre section to one side - either they gave up on that idea and substituted a one piece canopy or that is not the original? One of the features of this range of kits was the opening canopies on some of them but as a result they were a bit "toy like".

Pete

• Like 2

Thanks Pete

Mine is definitely a one piece item, and it fits really well so was obviously meant for the kit, although the instructions do show a 3 piece item as you say.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Scalemates say that the original was released in 1962 by Revell GB and they show a set of sprues with a 3 part canopy, but that Revell (not GB) issued a reboxing with "new parts" in 1963. Perhaps that explains it! The box art appears to be identical but I note the instruction sheet says 1963.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Scalemates say that the original was released in 1962 by Revell GB and they show a set of sprues with a 3 part canopy, but that Revell (not GB) issued a reboxing with "new parts" in 1963. Perhaps that explains it! The box art appears to be identical but I note the instruction sheet says 1963.

Pete

Yes I went for the newer one !

Can't remember ever having said that on one of my builds before :rofl2:

• Haha 5

Its really nice to see one of these old timers being built as it keeps the use  of hope , imagination and accepting the contents of the box as is and making a kit useing giel and pure modeling  skills . . good luck getting the decals to go over those rivets.

Cheers Alistair

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Its really nice to see one of these old timers being built as it keeps the use  of hope , imagination and accepting the contents of the box as is and making a kit useing giel and pure modeling  skills . . good luck getting the decals to go over those rivets.

Cheers Alistair

Cheers Alistair 

I was worried the old timers comment was referring to the builder   :clif:  rather than the kit, but it all turned out well in the end !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I was worried the old timers comment was referring to the builder

I think (with a few exceptions) that it's pretty much a given on Britmodeller ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/9/2021 at 12:26 PM, PeterB said:

Interesting. The original release included a 3 piece canopy with pins and sockets so that you could hinge the centre section to one side - either they gave up on that idea and substituted a one piece canopy or that is not the original? One of the features of this range of kits was the opening canopies on some of them but as a result they were a bit "toy like".

Pete

Hi Pete,

yes, now that you mention it, the one I did kind of build when cheese graters were new tools, did have a three piece canopy too...

Trust @JOCKNEY, as a true Scot, to save a fraction of a six pence by buying the one piece canopy variant... 

It may even be worth a hell of a lot too nowadays!

JR

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

have you gone vegan and relegated your cheese and the grater it came with to the deep end of the pantry?

As a trip down the lane of my failing memory, I am looking forward to see your take on this ancestor.

No pressure though....

Cheers mate

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Pat,

have you gone vegan and relegated your cheese and the grater it came with to the deep end of the pantry?

As a trip down the lane of my failing memory, I am looking forward to see your take on this ancestor.

No pressure though....

Cheers mate

JR

Hi JR

Apologies I have been wrestling with the Stirling in the "I can't believe how many parts this blooming has GB!"

I will post some pictures of Gallands Grater tomorrow. 

Cheers Pat

• Like 4

So pictures as promised

IMG_5944

IMG_5945

Note schoolboy error forgetting to also paint the rudder yellow !

This is the colour scheme I'm going for, but what are the modern correct humbrol colours ?

IMG_5913

Cheers Pat

• Like 5

Hi Pat,

34 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

what are the modern correct humbrol colours ?

This might help a bit, can't say how good they are. US Light Green for RLM 71 Dunkelgrun sounds a bit unlikely.

y4mVyn5YvEXc8QQgtrX0prQKIlmyrgBxpwwnTfUQ

The IPMS Stockholm's colour chart gives conversions from RLM colours to Humbrol and is probably more accurate;

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_germany.htm

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Hi Pat,

i will go along with @Black Knight, but I would add anything between 70 to 100% white to Humbrol 65 for the RLM 65.

Looking good!

JR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jean said:

i will go along with @Black Knight, but I would add anything between 70 to 100% white to Humbrol 65 for the RLM 65.

I would sort of agree with you except for I have two tins of 65 enamel and two pots of 65 acrylic and they are all different shades! From dark more grey to a lighter more blue

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I would sort of agree with you except for I have two tins of 65 enamel and two pots of 65 acrylic and they are all different shades! From dark more grey to a lighter more blue

Who ever said that life was easy?

I am running out of Humbrol 65 and I haven't got enough for my 109... The RLM 65 Xtracolor is far too dark and grey for my taste... So I am left with a tinlet of Heller HG5 Authentic colour that I am sure will need tweaking... A pot I purchased in the Hague in 1985.... It should still be OK if the gods are kind.

Bottom line, one uses what feels right...

I hate choice!!!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

Hi Jean,

I know I have said this before (more than once) but some sources say that RLM65 started life as quite a bright blue and was toned down later, perhaps in 1941, and I seem to remember the same thing happening with the Humbrol Authentic version. The first one or two tins I bought in I think the 1960's were fairly similar to Hu65 but then it got a bit greyer. If yours was bought in 1985  it should be the later version I expect. Some of my early "Authentics" still work fine so I hope yours does as well. The tin of HT1 I used on my I-16 was fine, but after a couple of days it dried up, so once re-opened they probably go off pretty fast.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • JOCKNEY changed the title to Galland's Cheese Grater ##Finished##