HobbyBoss 1:48 A6-A Intruder - Fought all the way

This one fought me all the way, from badly fitting parts to making the decision to have it wheels up and mounted on a plinth.  The kit only has the option to have the wheels down so I had to adapt and add to the sprue parts supplied. Badly fitting canopy was an issue as well but its done and happy with it, especially the detail in the cockpit, which was all painted by hand ( no decals ) and to be honest, the most enjoyable part of the build. One of the mirrors inside the canopy has come loose and lodged in the front part of the canopy fairing, it is staying as there as absolutely no way I'm cracking that open again.

Be careful of the wings if you decide to have them fully spread, as the join isn't that secure, I ended up using wooden dowels and gorilla glue and still, I get nervous when touching it. The crew are an homage to Jake Grafton and Virgil Cole from the movie and I appreciate that this wasn't their aircraft but it seemed like the thing to do.

Anyway, enough twaddle .. here it is. and despite any inaccuracies on the moulding or my ability, it looks unmistakably like an Intruder.  Cheers

A-6a Intruder

A-6a Intruder

A-6a Intruder

A-6a Intruder

A-6a Intruder

A-6a Intruder

A-6a Intruder

A-6a Intruder

A-6a Intruder

• Like 35

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Well the kit may have fought you but you won in the end with a superb looking Intruder. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Plasticbasher said:

That’s a great Intruder, it’s a kit I’ve considered adding to the ever growing stash. You’ve set the bar high with your wonderful finished example.

19 minutes ago, jhutchi said:

Devil 505? Great film and great build 

Thanks folks, It is a big kit and an even bigger box. I obviously have a load of ordnance left as well as the undercarriage parts, including the metal main gear that is part of the kit. If this is of use to anyone, just pm me. Apologies if I don't get back to you straight away, I'm not online that much 😆  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, noelh said:

Like it, always liked the A6. You should be pleased with yourself. That's a stand up job. Impressive. 

8 hours ago, Booty003 said:

That is a great looking Intruder, well done pal.  I bet it is a good size in 1/48 as well.

6 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Superbly beaten into submission. It looks fantastic.

6 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent build, finish, and display! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Farmerboy said:

Beautifully done, especially as it gave you such problems, l choose the kinetic version over this and it to was a very difficult build, perhaps it’s an A6 thing!

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated 👍

Such an iconic aircraft and obviously a fantastic design, hence its longevity. The decals on this were brilliant except for those for the bombs, straight lines and round bombs don't work , so a DIY solution was used...  (hope this link works )

https://flic.kr/p/2m28rN6

Hopefully my A6 will stay safe on its display shelf. Having to rotate the models on display due to lack of space and my preference for 1:48 scale minimum ( eyesight  issues ).

Not sure what is next, a Kinetic shar or one of my Lysanders... decisions, decisions!! 

Great looking tadpole! Grumman aircraft are my favorite modelling subject, but even if I wasn't partial to A-6, I'd have to say this is an excellent model :) What color did you use for the grey upper surfaces? I have to admit I always struggle with this... All the references say FS 26440, but to me this always looks too yellowy-brownish... Yours looks more correct to me. Or is it like in the movie, FS35375?

• Like 1

Just now, daneel said:

Great looking tadpole! Grumman aircraft are my favorite modelling subject, but even if I wasn't partial to A-6, I'd have to say this is an excellent model :) What color did you use for the grey upper surfaces? I have to admit I always struggle with this... All the references say FS 26440, but to me this always looks too yellowy-brownish... Yours looks more correct to me. Or is it like in the movie, FS35375?

Thanks D ... I did get the light gull grey the kit said but it looked horrible and it stinks so I opted for Tamiya Royal light grey (XF-80) and preshaded prior to application over a decent dark grey primer. Thin coats. The white was also Tamiya but highly thinned.

I also from time to time used some thinner and wiped back gently to give a worn look in a few areas ( eg tail plane ) then resprayed. 

'Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history!'

Great film and a superb build, very nicely done.

• Like 1

Your work demonstrates what can be done when the kit is difficult and the builder is determined to see it through.  Congratulations!

• Like 1