A pair of 66th F.S. “Exterminators” dedication build.

31 minutes ago, giemme said:

Proper job, Dennis :clap: Can I ask you what color did you use for the wheel bays? TIA

Ciao

Hello Giorgio, its a custom Tamiya mix. For Yellow zinc chromate I use 14 XF-3 yellow to 1 XF-1 black. Under certain light it takes on an apple green color, in other light it comes out Zinc chromate. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Giorgio, its a custom Tamiya mix. For Yellow zinc chromate I use 14 XF-3 yellow to 1 XF-1 black. Under certain light it takes on an apple green color, in other light it comes out Zinc chromate. 

Thanks Dennis, I might experiment that on my current P-51D build 👍

Ciao

• Like 1

Hello everyone… A little fixing on the “Puny Pug” half of the build today. I added the strike camera to the correct aircraft. While studying the photo I caught something on “Pug” that I missed. TQet5Od.jpg
Looking at the area circled in red I decided it didn't quite match the shade of the red cowling. In the end I opted to paint the panels in neutral grey. It seems to be for staining coning out of the ducts at the base of color. 
PFPj0ex.jpg

SbenHQ0.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, add comments or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, giemme said:

Well spotted, Dennis! And it surely add interest to an already interesting scheme :clap:

Ciao

Thanks looking at it and comparing to the photo. Im thinking of going darker it doesn't quite look right to the eye. Maybe dark grey or black ? 

28 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks looking at it and comparing to the photo. Im thinking of going darker it doesn't quite look right to the eye. Maybe dark grey or black ? 

To my eye, it looks lighter than the anti-glare on top of the cowling (and definitely a different color). What if you just apply a darker filter to it?

Ciao

• Like 1

Just now, giemme said:

To my eye, it looks lighter than the anti-glare on top of the cowling (and definitely a different color). What if you just apply a darker filter to it?

Ciao

Ok time for me to sound naive… filter ? As in photo filter or something else. 

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok time for me to sound naive… filter ? As in photo filter or something else. 

As in lighter than a wash. Say you use a dark wash for your panel lines; add more thinner (if using acrylics, add water) and brush a coat on, let dry and repeat until you're happy with the result. Worth testing on a piece of scrap plastic first.

This is just one way of doing it; there are a number of products on the market that are ready to use as filters (AK and AMMO MIG spring to mind), with different kind of bases (enamels rather than acrylic). You can also do that with an airbrush, if working on larger surfaces or if you are willing to mask the surrounding areas...  HTH

Ciao

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone … Ive been working hard at trying to finish these up. A couple licks of paint to touch some stuff up and I will post an RFI. Until then here we are with a few shots. h2ibCvV.jpg

aFRTM9P.jpg

FEzHViw.jpg

hFpr8bP.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4