A pair of 66th F.S. “Exterminators” dedication build.

Hello everyone … Well things are slowly returning to normal around these parts so Im going to try to get back to work. This is a dedication build based around my two Dogs. Weird concept but its something Ive wanted to do since 2015 when I came back to building. For this build I am using two of these. GGdbGfe.jpg

The first of the two aircraft are #73 “Ay Chuhuahua” and a custom set I had made for #78 “Puny Pug”. I lost both dogs last year and this will be my way of keeping them around. I have photo’s of the real aircraft but only a profile for Chuhuahua, not exactly sure I can post them. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 11

If you don't mind Dennis, I'd like to follow along and kibbutz your antics on building these two fine representations of a great aircraft, not to mention their dedication to two equally Great Canines. Don't mind me I brought my own easy chair and my own noshings.

Be as quiet as a church mouse, won't be a bother at all ,well maybe for the occasional wind breaking and belching.. Carry on Sir.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

If you don't mind Dennis, I'd like to follow along and kibbutz your antics on building these two fine representations of a great aircraft, not to mention their dedication to two equally Great Canines. Don't mind me I brought my own easy chair and my own noshings.

Be as quiet as a church mouse, won't be a bother at all ,well maybe for the occasional wind breaking and belching.. Carry on Sir.

Welcome along, No problem at all on following. Bar is fully stocked help yourself. 

• Like 1

Ive cropped an image of Puny Pug and have a photo of the decals for “Ay Chuhuahua”. I cannot find any real photo’s of the plane only profiles. JEPf3Bw.jpg

Zvi5Iht.jpg

The strike camera on the port pylon will need be scratch built. But otherwise pretty much out of box. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Be sure and duplicate the dent in the 75-gallon belly tank, Dennis! :giggle: BTW, is 'Puny Pug' a D-30?

Mike

No way to know for sure, this is the only photo I have and the entire tail is obscured. No serial and no way to know if there is a fillet or not. The description from Asizbiz is incorrect its listing the serial of the plane behind Pug. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

However #71 “Lil Abner” doesn't have a fillet so I'm going that route. 

Dennis,

I found a good photo of 'Puny Pug,' which I have linked below- hope it's not one you already have; scroll down to see it. As you have already discovered, there don't seem to be any photos  that show the serial or whether or not it had the fin fillet, but as you can see, the P-47D parked next to it doesn't have one, so more than likely, PP was not a D-30.

Mike

It;s actually a good discussion on whether or not Gabby's last P-47D was painted or bare metal underneath; not sure I can tell, based on everything I have read, but as I intend to do his Jug one day, I need to figure it out.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/276596-tail-on-gabreskis-p-47/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-2628554

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 2

@Corsairfoxfouruncle, @72modeler, a P-47D-30 would have a landing light near the wing tip due to the dive brakes / spoilers being installed by the wheel well, where the landing light was on earlier versions. Puny Pug does not. I'd say it's a D-26 or D-28, since it has a Curtiss Electric propeller.

Cheers,
Wlad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dennis,

great to see you back at the bench, and what a lovely idea for a build! Have to say. as far as P-47s and breeds of dog are concerned, chihuahua and pug are about the least appropriate names I can think of :D great names, though!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Dennis,

I found a good photo of 'Puny Pug,' which I have linked below- hope it's not one you already have; scroll down to see it. As you have already discovered, there don't seem to be any photos  that show the serial or whether or not it had the fin fillet, but as you can see, the P-47D parked next to it doesn't have one, so more than likely, PP was not a D-30.

Mike

It;s actually a good discussion on whether or not Gabby's last P-47D was painted or bare metal underneath; not sure I can tell, based on everything I have read, but as I intend to do his Jug one day, I need to figure it out.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/276596-tail-on-gabreskis-p-47/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-2628554

5 hours ago, Wlad said:

@Corsairfoxfouruncle, @72modeler, a P-47D-30 would have a landing light near the wing tip due to the dive brakes / spoilers being installed by the wheel well, where the landing light was on earlier versions. Puny Pug does not. I'd say it's a D-26 or D-28, since it has a Curtiss Electric propeller.

Cheers,
Wlad

I think its a D-28 as the CO’s #71 “Lil’Abner” was listed as a D-28.

Hello everyone… so First days work done on these. You will note other than the first and last photo’s, I only took one series to show the work. No sense in doubling every photo when they look so much alike. ulu2O34.jpg

ChQ6Gj3.jpg

IyuDRhT.jpg

tSuto1k.jpg

6ZmRgX9.jpg

Z7H8BcJ.jpg

DQlqxio.jpg

chsJpqi.jpg

FmpHEHB.jpg

7C9DmkF.jpg

Now just to prove that Ive actually done both, here they are side by side. cIV2IIX.jpg

Mike @72modeler, yes thats they main photo I have, sadly try as I might there are no others. The others are just variations of this one. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 11

Great to see you back at the bench and with things going better, Dennis! :thumbsup: I have a Tamiya P-47D to build as my next Museum project, so I'll watch this closely. Great work so far! :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dennis,

I was afraid the photo I posted was the same one that you had- like you said, the others seem to be all cropped/closeup variations. Few photographs were taken with future modelers in  mind, or they would have included serials/codes instead of just nose art! Looks like you got a very good match for the dull dark green Republic used for the cockpits- also, it might be a good thing your two Jugs weren't D-30's,  as they had smooth, rather than corrugated cockpit floors! Lookin' good so far!

Mike 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2021 at 1:42 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Tamiya XF-5 straight out of the bottle. 

Seriously? Now you tell me! After all the trouble I went to mixing and comparing to color chips to come up with a good match! Next time, I will just post a query here  on BM and let the color commandos tell me a dozen ways to get a given color! (Like Roseanne Roseanndanna used to say, "It's always sumthin'!") :angry:

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Morning everybody … well the one thing that you can say about Tamigawa kits is they go together quick. Im onto full fuselages and rough sanding now. Finished off the engines first. lOH8o1T.jpg

5vIJhVN.jpg

C5AFGWd.jpg

Next up were the wings, stabs, and cowlings. wLmbVnV.jpg

Chihuahua will need a little bit of filler on top of the wings. 31pFhwy.jpg

LudSPnf.jpg

Next up is the Pug, that one is much tighter on the wings = no gap. 
IkNRZY4.jpg

The bottom on the Hase kits is less than desirable ? It doesn't sit even on either build first Chihuahua. tn2XHim.jpg

And then Pug. tAzRx0X.jpg

Other than those little bits they're pretty good. I don't see a problem with these getting into paint by next weekend. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone long time in coming but work is finally starting up on these again. I needed to take a two month break due to lack of paints and my Airbrush(s) needing to be replaced/re-built. y9YvQaZ.jpg
Next up will be to spray the yellow for the theater marking bands tomorrow. Once that is done I can black base this for the NMF aluminum. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Good morning everybody … I was able to get some work done tonight while watching Le Mans on the Tele. I finished up the yellow and red trim and am ready to spray the black base.

J4pJPgG.jpg

OZDJCJ5.jpg

GY9rmNd.jpg

bifzpUl.jpg

I will be using the mew Tamiya lacquers so we’ll see how that goes. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10