Grey codes and stars/bars on a B-24?

TonyOD

I've finally got hold of a Liberator, an Academy "Zodiac" boxing to build "Aries" of the 834th Bombardment Squadron with the famous nose art by Phil Brinkman. I also have the Kitsworld aftermarket sheets to be able to do other planes from the same squadron.

I note that on the aftermarket sheets the stars and bars of the roundels and the codes are white, whereas on the kit decals they are grey. I wondered why this is?

Edited by TonyOD

It was very common on combat aircraft in the ETO to subdue the white areas of the national insignia with grey paint; this is seen more often than not on bombers than fighters. Don't recall when this practice was begun or authorized/decreed by the USAAF, but perhaps @Dana Bell might know. I have his camouflage and markings reference works as well as the Ducimus Camouflage and Markings on the B-24, so I can check to see if there is any information in them when I can get up to my  archives/reference library. Pretty easy to confirm greyed-out insignia   if you can find a photo of your chosen subject- go to the internet and enter the serial number and version of your B-24, and you can look for period photos.

Mike

I did just now find some information of the subject and have posted a link- hope it is useful.

https://www.low-level-ploesti.org/americas-secret-plan-to-confuse-the-ploesti-defenses-2/

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello

Mike is correct, 486th BG was one of several 8 AF bomb groups, that painted over white in national insignia with light gray and also used the same colour for code letters. I still have no access to my books, but I found some colour photos of Zodiac aircraft on the Bestweb website. Here is the photo of Gemini, found here ...

GEMINI1.JPG

... and Leo during her service with 493 BG (note the remains of the light gray code letter on bomb bay doors), found here.

LEO-V1-2.JPG

Both photos had been published in (I think) Mighty eight in colour book. Also, several of Zodiac aircraft later served with 15 AF, where they usually painted over previous owner's markings with theirs if necessary. Plenty B/W photos of former 486 BG B-24 in service in MTO show these aircraft still sporting remains of previous owner's light gray code letters. Cheers

Jure

P. S.: There are several photos of both versions of Aries here. Unfortunately, none of them shows national insignia or code letters.

Thanks @72modeler and @Jure Miljevic... fuselage pics of the Zodiac Libs are surprisingly difficult to turn up - photographers tended to zoom in on that fantastic nose art, which isn't that surprising I suppose - so those pics are welcome. "Sagittarius" is the one I plan to go with (I'd like to do "Capricron" as it's my birth sign, but I don't have the decals for that one!)