Airfix 1/72 Bristol Beaufort Mk.1 - No. 22 Squadron RAF Coastal Command, circa April 1940

Love it Rabbit. Saw this kit on Amazon this week and was rather tempted. Your photos are very nice! I liked the aluminium underside scheme you picked too. It it a type I've not heard of until very recently. Sort of a cross between a Hamden, Beaufighter and Blenheim! Guess it may have been almost obsolete on the outbreak of war ..? Did it become Me109 fodder? 

Beautifully done Sir!  My compliments and thank you for showing it! 

Regards, Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Guess it may have been almost obsolete on the outbreak of war ..? 

Not obsolete! It had just entered service in 1940.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Not obsolete! It had just entered service in 1940.

Chris

Yes, state of the art in 1940 and great things were expected, but like so many other designs at the time it was soon left behind by the pace of development. Less than two years later the Beaufighter was taking over the strike role.

Shipboard flak was the main killer, rather than fighters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Superb finish Dave, and a most entertaining build. I only wish I could get my grubby paws on one (or two!)

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks superb Dave

Really nice build and finish

It's rather good to be able to see quite a reasonable amount of the interior detail through the nose, cockpit and turret glazing

Congratulations!

Bruce

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thanks gents for the additional information. I had a look at this plane and yes  torpedo attack profile was... suicidal almost! Brave guys indeed who flew them! 

Aeroplane magazine back in the eighties ran a series of articles by Roy Conyers Nesbitt on his Beaufort experiences. The casualty rate was horrendous. He also wrote a number of books on the subject. Somehow he survived but a lot of his comrades did not. 

• Like 3