Eduard Overtrees

mossieramm

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting some Spitfire overtrees and some PE seatbelt sets to go with them. I have some decals, but no stencils.

Has anyone had any experience with overtrees and what did you think ?

Thank for any info.

Overtrees is the way to a slightly cheaper kit after you have bought a full price set. There's really no fuss about it.

You can, with an effort, also buy a new clear sprue from Eduard if need be.

I had ordered more than 60 overtrees Spitfire  in 1/72 direct to Eduard, without problem.

You have a lot of afthermarket decals to use with.

Alain

The overtrees are a good thing I think as you can make your own  package..if you like the photoetch,stencils and masking stuff that normally comes with it you are mostly better of with a profipack...

Shipping prices at eduard are a bit steep and if you just want two ovetrees kits you will be  better off getting your profipacks from a local modelshop ..

Though their service is great  and you can even buy different  sprue’s wich I did once for getting the correct wings on my spitty....

Choices choices......😉

cheers, Jan 

• Like 1

I have their 1/48 Spitfire Mk IIa overtrees sitting in my stash right now. The instructions are downloadable from their website, and I already have both of Fundekals' Spitfire sheets. This will go to produce a late Mk I flown by George Unwin on 15 September 1940. Eduard provides only the handpump for the gear in their Mk I kits, not the cockpit control for the engine-driven hydraulic setup, which the aircraft I'm modeling almost certainly had. 

Edited by Rolls-Royce

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

The overtrees are a good thing I think as you can make your own  package..if you like the photoetch,stencils and masking stuff that normally comes with it you are mostly better of with a profipack...

Shipping prices at eduard are a bit steep and if you just want two ovetrees kits you will be  better off getting your profipacks from a local modelshop ..

Though their service is great  and you can even buy different  sprue’s wich I did once for getting the correct wings on my spitty....

Choices choices......😉

cheers, Jan 

That's why I had ordered a lot of model, to have the free shipping!!!!

Alain

• Haha 1

My experience mirrors those of other modellers.  The headline price is very seductive but, once you get hit with the postage, they start looking less attractive.  Then, as you say, you have to factor in the price of stencils and etched brass (maybe not the full Eduard treatment but certainly seatbelts), by which time you are probably up to around what you can, sooner or later, get the Weekend editions for from various online retailers, some of this parish.  So you need to cost obtaining them via the various channels.  That's what I do and usually discover that there isn't much in it, in which case I tend to favour the small UK retailers.

Of course, buying 60 ought to change the economics dramatically.  I've never tried that.

• Like 1

I used to buy the overtrees as well as new Profi-packs that had just been issued, if you spent over a 100 euros the postage was free but that has stopped now because of increased postage charges.  A medium sized box with 3 or 4 kits will cost about £16 to send to the UK.

• Sad 1

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I just went over to Eduard and loaded my cart with 4 Overtrees Spitfires with PE seatbelts and stencil sheets which was more expensive than 4 Weekend kits with PE seatbelts. Including shipping. So I think that answers the question whether or not its cheaper...at least for me.

30 minutes ago, mossieramm said:

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I just went over to Eduard and loaded my cart with 4 Overtrees Spitfires with PE seatbelts and stencil sheets which was more expensive than 4 Weekend kits with PE seatbelts. Including shipping. So I think that answers the question whether or not its cheaper...at least for me.

That was my experience too, "cheap " kits but outweighed by horrendous postal charges.

I fact, I have made a quick look to Eduard, and it is no more free shipping for UK, but still for Belgium (6000 CZ( 240€)).

I suppose it is an effect of the Brexit. It is the same for me, it is more costly to order in UK. And once again after 01 July. Rules are once again changing.

Alain

I think they sold out most of the overtrees since the fire but are getting back in stock. Aren't Overtrees only released occasionally anyway ?

Shipping to Holland is roughly 15 Euro, At least for the items I choose. 

Funny thing, Eduard is more expensive than the shops. The Spitfire Profipack Mk I is 32 euro, while in the shops its 26 euro. Go figure...

• Like 1

y4mABHmzBhbeMXHXwQMi4Dn74jIb4VU1tKXJE2TT

:P

Overtrees can make sense if you already have bits & bobs in the stash, or want to spread P&P when ordering Eduard stuff that's not in stock elsewhere. Otherwise, not much advantage to be gained from a bargain point of view.

Should they ever do a re-issue of 1/72 Mk.IX Spits, then I might go for some more. 

• Like 1

Best value for money if you want to use some aftermarket decals.

You can also pick some detail sets, but check what is in your box first. Do not buy stuff in advance. Eduard kits are nice and detailed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mossieramm said:

Funny thing, Eduard is more expensive than the shops. The Spitfire Profipack Mk I is 32 euro, while in the shops its 26 euro. Go figure...

Thats quite common in business. Manufacturers will have an RRP and stick to it for direct sale - otherwise if they undercut the retailers, then retailers won't carry their products.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Thats quite common in business. Manufacturers will have an RRP and stick to it for direct sale - otherwise if they undercut the retailers, then retailers won't carry their products.

Yes, but it just seems strange to buy at the source and be more expensive...

It perhaps indicates the comparative level of business, private being less than commercial.  Dealing with individual orders is more expensive than dealing with large batches, which is largely why distributers exist in the first place.  However, if manufacturers have to hold their price to avoid offending their distributers, similarly distributers have to hold their price to avoid offending retailers.  At the bottom of the food chain, some retailers may find it preferable to offer a lower price, either because their operating costs are lower or for other business reasons.  I don't think that loss-leaders would actually work in the model trade.

Note the outcry from retailers when Airfix began selling off their surplus stock at reduced prices, something unheard of other than for certain Xmas offers.  It may not be unconnected to the reduction in shops selling Airfix kits.