Scottish International Air Show

Although cancelled for 2021, this event is being changed from a free event at Ayr, to a ticketed event at Stranraer for next year.

Anybody here, particularly those living in Scotland got any thoughts?

Stranraer itself is, in my view anyway, a less than ideal location for a number of reasons and, my own view is that the show itself could suffer as a result of the changes.

The prospective date, as I understand is May which, at least might provide better weather! 😊

John

2 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

May which, at least might provide better weather!

As demonstrated by this May?? Its been a while since I passed through Stranraer, but 2 words spring to mind 'traffic' and 'nightmare'

Cheers

Colin

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ckw said:

As demonstrated by this May?? Its been a while since I passed through Stranraer, but 2 words spring to mind 'traffic' and 'nightmare'

Cheers

Colin

OK Colin, I concede the point about the weather!!👍😂

There are places in the Highlands that are easier to get to than Stranraer!!

Your comment about road access is valid but, I don't drive. There are only about 4 trains a day from  Edinburgh (via Glasgow Central) and, its a 4 and 1/2 hour journey each way (with changes) on a rickety class 58!

Ayr at least has the benefit of good accessibility and, excellent public transport links.

I won't be going to Stranraer. I'll be going to Sunderland instead. It's  about the same distance from Edinburgh (208 km) but, so much easier and quicker to get to with excellent transport links and, a total journey time each way of about only 2 and a half hours!

John.

• 1 month later...

Stranraer??  What genius thought that one up?  It’s closer to Belfast than Glasgow or Edinbugh and about as far as you can get from anywhere else.  

On 27/05/2021 at 10:52, Beermonster1958 said:

There are places in the Highlands that are easier to get to than Stranraer!!

Your comment about road access is valid but, I don't drive. There are only about 4 trains a day from  Edinburgh (via Glasgow Central) and, its a 4 and 1/2 hour journey each way (with changes) on a rickety class 58!

Ayr at least has the benefit of good accessibility and, excellent public transport links.

I won't be going to Stranraer. I'll be going to Sunderland instead. It's  about the same distance from Edinburgh (208 km) but, so much easier and quicker to get to with excellent transport links and, a total journey time each way of about only 2 and a half hours!

John.

John’s points all valid though Ayr is a bit of a pain for east coasters like me. The old Preswick show was an occasional attendance for me if something special was showing. 

I do wonder if having 2 huge massive shows a year over a week or so like RIAT, one down in the central South of England and the other in the central “ true” North chosen for venues that have great rail and road links as well as display facilities etc 

• Like 1

I assume by Stranraer that the Air Show will be held at former RAF Station and now MOD (Qinetiq?) West Freugh, or as it is commonly referred to as "Wet Through" ? 

I spent a damp couple of weeks there on exercise "Purple Warrior" in November 1987- happy days 🙂  Not an ideal location for attracting visitors from far and wide, unless they arrive by Hercules as I did 🙂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 04/07/2021 at 22:38, JohnT said:

Stranraer??  What genius thought that one up?  It’s closer to Belfast than Glasgow or Edinbugh and about as far as you can get from anywhere else.  

John’s points all valid though Ayr is a bit of a pain for east coasters like me. The old Preswick show was an occasional attendance for me if something special was showing. 

To be honest, Ayr didn't bother me travel wise (I live in Edinburgh) largely because it has very good public transport links and, as I have  my Scottish Concession Card, I can now get there for free on the bus!😊

I travel to Prestwick Airport fairly regularly now

Maybe, as a fellow "East Coaster", you'd like to try Sunderland instead?. Its really not a bad show and , a hell of a lot easier to get to! 😉

John

Edited by Beermonster1958