Supermarine Scimitar Tanks

wellsprop

Hi,

I'm making a 1/48th Supermarine Scimitar that comes with two tanks only, I assume these are for the inboard pylons.

I would like to model my Scimitar with four tanks, in the aerial-refueling configuration, I believe the plan below shows this configuration - however, I don't think it shows a buddy pod.

supermarine-scimitar-f1-2.png

I'd like to know, what is the correct configuration of an aerial refuelling Scimitar.

Cheers,

Ben

OK, so looks like I need the refueling pod and I'll scratch build the two, smaller, outer tanks.

Next question... Why did the Scimitars fly with 4 tanks, with none of the tanks being buddy refueling pods? (I assume it is purely just for range). 

EDIT: looking at more photos, it appears the Scimitars often flew with four tanks of equal size (250 gallon, I have read). The plan in my first post shows the outboard tanks being smaller. I have no idea about the correct configuration! 

I think TEZ has correctly indicated the only Buddy pod in 1/48 scale - I'm not aware if a FR refueling pod has been included with any injection moulded kits.

What I found when I did a bit of research for my Scimitar model was the outer pylons could carry 100 or 150 gallon tanks & the inner pylons 150 or 200 gallon tanks - the Buddy pod was carried on the right hand inner pylon.

Who is your Scimitar kit made by?

CJP

Edited by CJP
text

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Thanks CJP. 

I have the OOP scratch aeronautics resin kit. 

The two tanks it comes with look like the larger tanks. So I assume 200 gals...

Ok - have not seen that makers Scimitar done here on BM - look forward to seeing yours

CJP

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After a bit more digging, I have found the Scimitar pilots notes AP.4646A, it gives the inner tanks as 200 galls and the outer as 150 gals.

Unfortunately, the tanks in the kit I have don't match up with the dimensions of the tanks in the plans I have found - I don't know which is correct.

14 hours ago, Ossington said:

I have always assumed that the Scimitar tanks are identical to standard length Hunter tanks. Is this actally so? Would make modelling them easier, if it is.

The Hunter pilot's notes indicate that it could take 200 gal tanks, the Scimitar also used 200 gal tanks on its inboard pylons - presumably, these are the same (I don't know for sure).

The Hunter often carried smaller external tanks on its outboard pylons, these smaller tanks have small fins at the back - I don't believe the Scimitar had these. 

11 hours ago, Denford said:

And I thought they were the same size as \ interchangeable with those of the Sea Vixen.

The refuelling pod is the same as the one used on Bucc and Sea Vixen. I'll have to do some more digging regarding the tanks, but it seems sensible they would use tanks common to many aircraft. 

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

AFAIK all tanks same size - same as Vixen

That means I should be able to pinch the dimensions from the Airfix Sea Vixen tanks (200 gal - I think), bot sure what I'm to do about the 150 gal tanks though!

Again, I'm assuming the usual loadout for the Scimitar in the tanking role was a single 200 gal tank on an inner pylon, a buddy pod on the opposite inner pylon and a 150 gal tank on each outboard pylon. EDIT: It appears this assumption is wrong and that the Scimitar actually carried 3 200 gal tanks with a buddy tank - but that's just going off images I've seen.

13 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Take a walk down to Yeovilton with a tape measure and start printing, Artie's Scimitar only comes with 2 tanks. Got to be a market for drop tanks, kit makers seem to go for options rather than full loads.

Thats actually a fair point, I drive past everyday!

Although, the Scimitar there has its wings folded so the tank might be a bit high 😂

Looking at the images of VL's Scimitar, it appears to have the 200 gal tanks on its outer pylons. They certainly look like large tanks anyway! 

Hi Wellsprops - further to your research on the tanks I looked in the book Scimitar by David Gibbings and JA Gorman and the chapter on 800B squadron it says a small number of Scimitars were fitted with 3x 200 gallon tanks and a FR Buddy pod which would fit in with your thinking. Whether that configuration was a standard fit in the tanker role or just 800B I don't know - I have also seen a photo of a Scimitar  with a Buddy pod, tank on the other side inner pylon and nothing on the outer pylons other than what I think are adapters for sidewinders - no doubt a few different configurations we could model - I wonder if anyone knows if there are any ex Scimitar maintainers/Pilots out there who could enlighten us?

CJP

9 hours ago, CJP said:

Hi Wellsprops - further to your research on the tanks I looked in the book Scimitar by David Gibbings and JA Gorman and the chapter on 800B squadron it says a small number of Scimitars were fitted with 3x 200 gallon tanks and a FR Buddy pod which would fit in with your thinking. Whether that configuration was a standard fit in the tanker role or just 800B I don't know - I have also seen a photo of a Scimitar  with a Buddy pod, tank on the other side inner pylon and nothing on the outer pylons other than what I think are adapters for sidewinders - no doubt a few different configurations we could model - I wonder if anyone knows if there are any ex Scimitar maintainers/Pilots out there who could enlighten us?

CJP

Brilliant! Thanks for looking this up :)

I plan to CAD and 3D prints the 200 gal tanks (using the Airfix Sea Vixen tanks as reference) and also do the same for the Buddy pod (using the best images I can find).

I've already CAD modelled the Scimitar, so I might see if I can create a 3D printed kit, now that I have a larger 3D printer...

• Like 1