PART 3: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Gustav Finale (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 G6) ***FINISHED***

On 7/21/2021 at 11:00 PM, franky boy said:

I totally agree with you that decals are an unknown quantity.

21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good luck with the decals mate,

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

And completely agree about decals, which stress me out more than any part of the build

Thanks for the support guys. All for a couple of numerals. Thankfully that job is now out of the way and the results are OK considering what needed to be done.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 52

Not a simple job.  I was hoping the Tamiya Decal Adhesive would deliver a pancea for all challenging decals. Not to be. First, I decided to try a port side zero on my mule (the project I am always currently working on) by leaving the carrier film in place . I found in a previous build, that with these decals, trimming of the carrier filmed made the decal much more difficult to apply. The usual result - cracking. With the film in place, the decal went on beautifully and I left for the office feeling quite happy. When I returned .....

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 51

... silvering.

The problem is not the surface finish, which is smooth and glossy even though there appears to be some pebbling in the red and green of the markings. Thin paint coats does show the variation in the plastic finish. I think the issue is that the decals have difficulty in conforming even after applications of Tamiya Decal Adhesive (Softener Type) and Micro Sol. I have even tried Tamiya Mark Fit Super Strong with these decals - great at dissolving paint - didn't shift the decals. Note the decal has not sucked into the rivet or panel line detail. To correct this, I next went to town with multiple very fine pricks in the effected areas, Tamiya Decal Adhesive, Micro Sol and a hot moist compress and then repeat gradually reducing the silvering. Final result was acceptable.

Must be an easier way. On the zero on the starboard side, I tried removing any excess carrier film and it performed as expected and cracked on application. Straight into the bin. Next, I left the carrier film in place, applied the decal and, when firm, gently scribed the outline of the hole in the zero with my scalpel, applied Tamiya Decal adhesive and gently removed it with a scalpel and paint brush. Now this worked. You can see I left the carrier film around the outside.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 50

Now the challenge of the "3"'s. I had to drop the centre of the "3" taking a segment out of the bottom of the vertical leg and adding to the top. Seeing it would be in small sections, I thought it safe to first trim the carrier film. This turned out to be the case.

20210722_112907

Then assemble in situ as you can see in prior fuselage image. A little thinned white paint on any decal joins and lightly sand and all is good.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 49

Glad that's over. Why did I use these decals? Because I had them. Testy little beasts.

Ray

• Like 8

Well done Ray, got there in the end! You literally had me on the edge of my seat!

Theres not much more satisfying an experience in modelling as when decals go down as they should imho. But when they don’t......

James 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Those decals really are a trial aren't they Ray

12 hours ago, franky boy said:

got there in the end!

The saga continues.

When I cut the segment for the "3" I did not allow for the cut and the tendency to lose a little on the edges with these brittle decals. Consequently, the first "3" done lost some height resulting in a step down from the "0". It was only 0.2 mm but noticeable. I wasn't happy, so me being me, and after a good night's sleep, up early, I decided it was time for some corrective action.

What is one of my builds without at least some rework, heh? I can't remember anything about building the new tool Tamiya Spitfire Mk Ia and yet there it is, complete, on the shelf sort of ho hum.  

Lightly sanded the top of the "3".

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 53

Post-It labels for masking. Just for overspray. Try to spray within the boundaries and prevent a hard edge other than at the new join.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 54

Micro spray the repair. I used my Iwata 0.2 HP-B Plus rather than the H&S 0.15 Infinity. I find the Iwata just so easy to clean and great for small paint portions. The H&S is wonderful for mottle and so forth but tends to sit in its box until a big job is on - super fine easy to damage needle, it's the 2-in-1 so the brass nozzle comes out and you must get the Viton seal and its mating face in the body of the airbrush absolutely clean or it will make paint cup bubbles, and the bottom of the paint cup is narrow and deep rather than  Iwata's more shallow and broad. The Iwata's are always ready at hand.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 55

Re-do the decal portion and I am happy.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 56

At last, time to push on and play with some enamels.

Ray

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Col. said:

Lots of work but a worthwhile result Ray

Thanks Col. I just posted some further corrective work with this decals. Now I can rest.

Ray

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Its attention to detail and not just settling for something thats "good enough" that makes your builds stand out Ray, and dealing with that number 3 is a great example of that, very nice work.

Easy to get motivated when the results please. Very happy with "normal vision" numbers now. Worth the effort.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 58

Ray 

• Like 9

The third and final subject in my trio of Bulgarian Bf-109's is now complete. 

A few images off the bench. 

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 62

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 61

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 60

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 59

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 63

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 65

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 64

It has been a fabulous Group Build. One that that I have enjoyed immensely. Brilliant support from the hosts and wonderful input and enthusiasm from the BM community. Thanks to all. 

Gallery images are here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235094093-messerschmitt-bf-109-stgb-gallery/&do=findComment&comment=4148235

You can guess I like the Bf-109 and it is so tempting to do another. Yet, it is not long now to the start of the High WIng GB and I have a suitable subject still on the Bulgarian theme ready to go. One thing for certain, it will be in this scheme but not that green. The wonders of Polish pre-war khaki.

PZL P24B Construction 1

I'll post three images of each of the finished 109 builds in this thread showing the history of the Bf-109 in Bulgarian Service.

Thanks for following. 

Ray

• Like 8

• Ray_W changed the title to PART 3: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Gustav Finale (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 G6) ***FINISHED***
3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

You can guess I like the Bf-109 and it is so tempting to do another. Yet, it is not long now to the start of the High WIng GB and I have a suitable subject still on the Bulgarian theme ready to go. One thing for certain, it will be in this scheme but not that green. The wonders of Polish pre-war khaki.

PZL P24B Construction 1

I'll post three images of each of the finished 109 builds in this thread showing the history of the Bf-109 in Bulgarian Service.

Im looking forward to that one, Ive got a Cessna and a PZL.P.7 or 11 myself. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Your trio of Bulgarian 109's are fantastic and I really like the fact that you have covered their use of the 109 from start to finish.

Thanks Craig, I have put the three builds together to show the history.

1941 Bf-109 E3

BM BG Bf-109E3 Gallery 1a

1944 Bf-109 G6

BM BF-109G6 Gallery 1

1947 Bf-109 G6

BM Bf-109G6 OF Finished 1

I now have a box full of 109's. I should stop.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Finished 6

Ray

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im looking forward to that one, Ive got a Cessna and a PZL.P.7 or 11 myself. 

Hi Dennis,

Nice subjects! I have a Storch and Bird Dog to add depending how my time works out. I could do the Storch in Bulgarian markings as they operated the type. Considering 🤔

Ray

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

All three have turned out really well and something a little different too.

Thanks Darryl.

10 minutes ago, franky boy said:

I love the trio and the story that they tell. 

Thanks James,

I have decided to add one more (a G-2) to complete the story. This variant saw much of the combat against the Allied bombing raids with the first batch received by Bulgaria in Spring 1943. I have orderd the Eduard G-2 kit (and some SPACE cockpit details to try) and the Kora decals. Whether I get them in time and into the GB is yet to be seen.  It will make a nice complement 1941, 1943, 1944, 1947.

Ray 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Thanks James,

I have decided to add one more (a G-2) to complete the story. This variant saw much of the combat against the Allied bombing raids with the first batch received by Bulgaria in Spring 1943. I have orderd the Eduard G-2 kit (and some SPACE cockpit details to try) and the Kora decals. Whether I get them in time and into the GB is yet to be seen.  It will make a nice complement 1941, 1943, 1944, 1947.

Ray 

Nice idea Ray. I had no idea that the Bulgarians fought against the US bomber campaign. Coming from Italy I’m guessing. Although if they were heading for Romania and Ploesti then they would have had to cross Bulgarian airspace. 

My 109 stash has also grown during the GB. I have Hasegawa G-4 on the way to be built in Romanian colours on the Eastern Front. I haven’t built a Hasegawa 109 for year’s although I’m not sure it will make it into this GB as I still have an F-2 to paint and finish. 

James

• Like 1