PART 3: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Gustav Finale (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 G6) ***FINISHED***

22 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Darryl,

Thank you. That sounds like good advice. I will definitely give this a go. I thin almost always with Mr Color Leveling Thinner, although on this occasion I used Tamiya X-20A for a less aggressive solvent. Possibly the more aggressive solvent gives a better bond resulting in finer chips. I will try this next time. I do have Tamiya Lacquer Thinner (Retarder Type) I purchased when giving the new Tamiya lacquers a go (my preference always is to use the manufacturer's recommended thinners when trying a new paint). Did they make any mention of the specific Tamiya lacquer thinner and any comparison to Gunze products?

Ray

Hi, memory like a sieve,  or perhaps i should pay more attention...!🤔

I'll have another listen today, thankfully it's near the beginning of a 2hr+ episode, what a shame, having to listen to over two hours of modelling blather...😉

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

thankfully it's near the beginning of a 2hr+ episode

I'll check it out. I have not listened to their podcasts. Thanks for the pointer.

Ray

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 1:35 PM, Roberto said:

Lovely work on that cockpit.

Thanks Roberto. I keep saying it, but a lovely kit. Great raw material to work with. 

Ray 

Things have been proceeding slowly mainly due to other commitments. We are getting close to the painting stage with everything zipped up and most of the major items in place. A few small things still to do and a general check and tidy up. No major issues to report. I checked the cowling seems and filled and feathered with CA/talc and then some Mr Surfacer 500 sanded smooth. Really not a lot of extra work required.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 29

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 30

The cockpit went in nicely. I did weather the fuel line to tone it down a bit using a Grafwood (graphite pencil). I really like the dirty and interesting effects you can create with these, from some angles it looks black and others silver.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 28

Ray

• Like 11

On my last build I mentioned about holding the small template Eduard provide on their latest Gustav renditions for re-scribing the small panels on the cowling. I did not post any pictures so decided I would on this build.

First thing, using a double thickness of electrician's insulation tape I form a pocket to hold the template.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 31

Adjusting it so the template sits in its correct position.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 32

I then tape the template in place and scribe with a pin.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 33

All done. you get the correct position and the template has less tendency to slide around.

As a general comment on scribing. I rarely use Dymo label tape as a guide, nearly always preferring a slice of the same electrician's insulation tape. I can then run my scriber, Tri-tool or equivalent (I really like the Tamiya scribing saws), microsaw or a pin, depending on the situation, lightly up against the tape edge. I find it's great for contours and sticks extremely well. The initial cut pressures are light so it does not force the tape out of position. 

Ray  

• Like 11

21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

More very nice work Ray, and a an excellent explanation of how to use the scribing template.

Thanks Craig, a bit of a slower build for me this time around thankfully assisted by plenty of time remaining in the GB. 

Ray

• Like 1

Nice stage to reach. Undercoat done and white base for markings.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 35

This is the scheme that I am trying to replicate (images from Dénes Bernád's book).

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 8

That spinner is a question mark. Bernád says "typically light blue or yellow (more likely the latter) depending on the Fighter Group". He shows a picture of one such aircraft with a dark spinner back plate and possibly yellow spinner so I opted for that. Irrespective of the dark dirty swirl on the spinner and lighter spinner plate as in the above pictures. Yellow will add some interest and difficult to say that this aircraft did not carry such a spinner at some stage. I'll weather the backplate with some chipping to again take an each way bet on dark vs light. Edit: Actually looking closely at the photos in the books, the originals would be better, I think the spinner is weathering and the original black on white spiral is starting to show through.

I have to cut my own markings and one advantage is that this aircraft (typical of Post-War OF Bf-109's) had no upper wing roundels - only 4 to do. I plan to modify some decals for the "30"'s.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 36

Used my trusty dividers with sharpened blade.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 37

Edges look tatty, but they're not. I find they lift a little yet the cut is still good. I number through the stencils to ensure each component can be assembled correctly for each mark,

20210718_141558

I think at last we're ready for some colour coats - first time use of MRP. 

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
More info
  • Like 10

Great tip re the scribing template,  I'd never even realised the later kits had that supplied!

Progress too, at least someone's achieving something!

Atb

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd never even realised the later kits had that supplied!

First time I have happened upon it in the Eduard boxings. It was not supplied for the G-6 but is there on the G-14.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 38

Great idea.  Now I'll keep if for other 109 builds that have need for join repair ahead of the windscreen.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

First time I have happened upon it in the Eduard boxings. It was not supplied for the G-6 but is there on the G-14.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 38

Great idea.  Now I'll keep if for other 109 builds that have need for join repair ahead of the windscreen.

Ray

It’s also supplied in the G-10 kits. 

• Like 1

First time use of MRP Lacquer Paint and really enjoyed the experience.

Old news for many but straight out of the bottle into the air brush cup, no thinning and sprayed beautifully. Used my Iwata HP-B Plus with a 0.2 needle. The smaller needle can be a challenge on a warm day like today (30 deg C). No issues with the MRP. I then chanced thinning further with Mr Color Leveling Thinner for the finish coat, Excellent result. I look forward to using more of these paints. Colour is MRP-018 (AMT-7)

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 39

I captured the variation I wanted with the black base although some is lost with the reflection in the photo. 

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 40

So top coats tomorrow and, barring disaster, all should progress smoothly. 

Ray

• Like 8

Just now, modelling minion said:

Really nice work Ray, that really is a very nice smooth coat of paint.

Hi Craig,

One side only but I do not expect to change my opinion. Excellent paint. I do not know if you have tried MRP yourself. I was thinking there are some excellent acrylic lacquers available now beyond my Gunze staple. The newish Tamiya range, AK Real Colors and now I'll add MRP to my list.

Ray

• Like 1

Just now, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

One side only but I do not expect to change my opinion. Excellent paint. I do not know if you have tried MRP yourself. I was thinking there are some excellent acrylic lacquers available now beyond my Gunze staple. The newish Tamiya range, AK Real Colors and now I'll add MRP to my list.

Ray

I have never tried MRP paints Ray but I have to say that seeing how nicely they spray I am very impressed. Can I ask what you use to clean your airbrush with after using them?

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Can I ask what you use to clean your airbrush with after using them?

I don't think you need any special lacquer thinners. Your usual should work. At the moment I am using a Bulgarian lacquer thinner for cleaning. It does an excellent job. Chemical composition: Butyl acetate - 35-40%, O-xylene 35-40%,  Methoxypropyl acetate - 15-20%. Picture following. I always spray with chemical mask and good ventilation.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 41

Ray 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oooh, they look to have sprayed nicely!

Just what I need, another product to get distracted by!

Might have to look into availability all the same...

10 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I found it on the G6 AS boxing. Really cant knock eduard for attention to detail.

👍

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Oooh, they look to have sprayed nicely!

Just what I need, another product to get distracted by!

Might have to look into availability all the same...

Same here Darryl, just when I thought I had enough paint. :doh:

As for those small panels that Ray is re-scribing with the handy little template from the p/e sheet.  I checked my references and they release the air pressure from the cowling when the guns are being fired.  As usual Ray, your 109 is looking very good. :like:

• Like 1

A few things to tidy up but we're getting close to a gloss coat.

I had the port fuselage side image and a hint of the top of the port wing and tail plane to copy. The rest is speculation.  The canopy framing seems a shade darker so I finished it in RLM 74. That isn't a hole in the rear canopy section. A small piece of masking I added to hold down a lifting edge has fallen off. 

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 44

I really enjoyed the MRP paint - one problem - what do you do if you want the paint slightly thicker? I found the AMT-12 too thin. Great for general spraying and mottle. If you want a single pass squiggle then what to do. So I swapped that out to a Tamiya mix. 

It is certainly a different looking creature.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 43

I am happy with how the Republican OF markings turned out. 

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 45

Again some small tidy up - can't complain.

20210720_202623

Ray

• Like 10

@modelling minion

Thanks Craig, I just need to add a G-2 for the allied bombing period and I would just about have the Bulgarian 109's covered. Thankfully I did not see one sitting on the LHS shelves. Phew! 

Ray 

• Haha 2

I put on a gloss coat of Gunze GX-100 thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. No issues with the MRP. All has went on nicely.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 47

I really like this stage. Starts to tie all the paints together for a oneness without losing the variation. As usual, the gloss coat is more for protection with some enamel pin wash in certain areas to be applied. Only decals I have to apply are the White "30"'s. I am nervous about these.  I will be using the same decal sheet as those that put me on a steep learning curve earlier this year for my Bulgarian MiG-21. Now they worked out OK in the end, on the third (or was it fourth attempt). One good thing about Britmodeller is I can actually go back and read what I did. I have to use the "3"'s again, modified this time, need to cut and drop the horizontal portion to centre. Wish me luck. 

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_108

One good thing about spraying your markings is less decals to apply. Decals are, after all these years of modelling, for me, still, the greatest variable in the hobby. At least the painted markings are now under a gloss coat.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 48

Ray

• Like 7