PART 3: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Gustav Finale (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 G6) ***FINISHED***

The third and final part of my "Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows" will be in the post-war  Republican OF scheme.

The BF-109 soldiered on in Bulgaria into the 1950's (ref: Bernád).  By then it may of had the Soviet star although I have not seen an image and chose White 30 at the time of this accident.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 4

There is some speculation about the colors so I will go with Bernád's very reasonable proposition of Soviet AMT-11, AMT-12 and AMT-7. Besides this has given me an excuse to use the Mr Paint range for the first time:

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 2

The aircraft is said to be a G-10 and I always enjoy studying such EDIT: After review I do not think so. It is a G-6 or G-14.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 1

I was planning to build the pair in parallel. Now, with a third 109 in the pipeline, I'll opt for my usual one kit at a time.  First up the Emil.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Updated information
  • Like 9

Great to see that you have gone for the trio Ray.

I like the very unusual camo on this one, it should certainly stand out from other 109's, especially with the OF markings. I think that the use of Russian paints is a good call as a lot of former German equipment that was kept in service by old allies after the war was repainted in Soviet colours. I have found a picture of a Romanian Ga-6 that was painted in overall AMT-7, including the prop blades, and carries communist era star markings! No I won't be building it, but I would like to.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I think that the use of Russian paints is a good call

Hi Craig,

Yes it makes sense.

I have also been doing some research on the G-10 and the kit I proposed to use will not have the changes needed. I will source another kit with some extra bits but first I will post a query in the WW2 thread. Get the brains trust opinions.

Edit: The kit I bought will do the job. I do not think this is a G-10. The cowling is very much G-6/14 and those MG cowling blisters not so for a G-10

Ray

• Like 4

• Ray_W changed the title to PART 3: A Quiver of Bulgarian Arrows - Gustav Finale (1/48 Eduard Bf-109 G6)

To my eyes, and I am most definitely not a 109 experten, it looks to be a standard G-6. It doesn't have a tall tail and the canopy is the earlier type rather than the Erla type which rules out the G-6 AS/10/14 versions and as you say those bulges on the cowlings are not on the G-10 nor on most G-14's. So as long as your kit has the older 3 part canopy then I think you should be good to go.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

To my eyes, and I am most definitely not a 109 experten, it looks to be a standard G-6.

Good answers, as expected, coming in here:

I will go with the G-6/14. Good news as then I do not need to buy another kit although a G-10 in German markings for another time now has my interest.  

• Like 2

Another excellent choice of scheme and markings Ray. It seems our GB has the potential to tell the 109 history very well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

It seems our GB has the potential to tell the 109 history very well.

Very much so.

• 1 month later...

The final part in my trio of Bulgarian 109's is underway.

I have been quite busy - usual dry fit regime, jumping around the instructions, working on sub-assemblies, black and silver undercoat as appropriate, alignment pins for the fuselage and some tape masking where I want glue and not paint. Wheel wells and radiators. PE instrument panel. 

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 25

Rushed to this stage with black undercoat for the cockpit in place. A few extras wires and junction boxes added. Notably painted in silver for some wear on the seat. I want this cockpit well worn being a late 40's aircraft.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 24

I will use the hairspray technique. I find it difficult to achieve a convincing effect with hairspray in 1/48 as I want a fine wear pattern, not slabs of paint removed. Not an issue in larger scales. This time I will use AK's Worn Effects to save decanting hairspray for such a tiny job. I have used AK before, although prefer hairspray, which I find simple and effective. I think there will be a little experimentation around drying time of the top coat to see if I can achieve what I want, Let's see. 

The fit on this kit is exemplary. No adjustments needed at the wingtips. Minimal flash and no ridges along the join lines. Lovely. One area that needed some corrective work was the spinner. Short shot in this image at at 1 and 10 O'Clock. 

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 21

Could of almost left it as a beaten up spinner, if it was just a small dent, but not to be, so filled the defect with CA/talc, sanded and finished with Mr Surfacer 500.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 22

Thought I would throw up some better images of the wing tip lights. Open the wing tips up, fit some shaped clear sprue, previously drilled and coloured appropriately for the lamps. Glued in place with Tamiya Thin.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 18

Leave it overnight to ensure a strong bond and then gently trim, file and sand. Voilà! A little better than painted solid plastic.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 19

Another 109, number 3 in this GB and still having fun.

Ray

• Like 14

Quite the production line, you're making these Eduard 109 look so simple. I really like the nav lights too btw.

Last time I used the hairspray technique, bit of a fan btw, I prepared everything,  hull, turret,  stowage boxes, helmets.... Loaded the white into the airbrush set to work on the hull. Panzer grey nicely covered ready to scrub away and realised, I'd forgotten a key component of the technique....the layer of hairspray! :doh:

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Atb

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

a key component of the technique....the layer of hairspray! 

Sometimes when we make mistakes, we also make great discoveries. Maybe not on this occasion. Good to discover it before the white was put on. I also really like the technique although it easily over chips/weathers a small cockpit. Let's see if I can get the look I am after this time. It will be about knowing when to stop. 

• Like 2

Weathered the seat and still very difficult not to remove slab portions with hairspray technique. Turned out OK, particularly with the harness covering most. Looks reasonable 1:1 ready to zip up in the fuselage. Anyway, it achieved the weathered look I was after.

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 26

As usual I added the oxygen piping and some electrical cables and detail mostly on the sidewalls in the void forward of the Instrument Panel frame. Again I did not use the PE details for the sidewall controls preferring to paint the 3D plastic supplied. 

BM Bf-109G6 OF Construction 27

Time to finish the fuel line and water cooling system and radiator shut off controls and the fuselage halves will be ready to join.

Ray

• Like 14

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Number 3 is off to a cracking start Ray, you really have got these Eduard 109's down.

Nice fix on the spinner and your nav lights are fantastic.

Thanks Craig for the kind remarks. You can tell I like these Eduard kits. 

10 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Quite the production line. 

Does seem that way although each build is unique enough to keep the interest. I might have to give my Tamiya G-6 a go next up to break things up a bit. 

Ray

• Like 3

Hi Ray,

even if I am mostly an Emil and Friedrich man, your Gustav is starting to look scrumptious. The cockpit is a thing of beauty!

Congrats for such a special job.

JR

• Thanks 1

Looking great Ray. The chipping on the seat has worked really well and whole cockpit looks great. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James 

• Thanks 1

Cockpit looks marvellous,  seat has turned out great too btw. The chipping looks just right.

As for hairspray technique (and apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs) but the brand of paint makes a difference. Tamiya white chips/scrubs better than Vallejo or Ak. For small scale chipping effect,  a good quality kolinsky sable brush and a steady hand works too...

All that said....the seat looks tremendous anyway. 

Atb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice cockpit Ray.Mmmmm. I never thought of using the hair spray method for cockpits always dry brushed them. Think i'll try it. Hope the wife doesn't. Miss her hairspray.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just catching up on your thread Ray, I go and do some painting in the man cave and you are half way finished with your 3rd build. :shrug:

Cockpit looks great, well weathered, :like:  Good save with the spinner, I would have suggested the Quickboost replacement but you repaired it superbly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The finished cockpit is excellent

Thanks Craig, a bit of fun. 

5 hours ago, jean said:

your Gustav is starting to look scrumptious.

Thanks JR, I am the same as you in terms of preferring the Emil and Friedrich although I must admit an appreciation for the Gustav has grown on me in this GB. Now keen to do another with the Tamiya boxing. 

5 hours ago, franky boy said:

The chipping on the seat has worked really well and whole cockpit looks great.

Thanks James, still not exactly what I wanted, hunting for superfine chipping. It is passable. I am very happy with the overall look of the cockpit. 

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Tamiya white chips/scrubs better than Vallejo or Ak. For small scale chipping effect,  a good quality kolinsky sable brush and a steady hand works too

Great advice and I am with you on this. I used Gunze Mr Hobby Color Aqueous as I had their RLM 66 .The paint chemistry is similar to Tamiya although I do think the Tamiya does a better job possibly because of its matt finish. I think it catches the brush better and may aid the water absorption.  The Gunze being semi-gloss. Tamiya XF-63 would of been a good option. 

Interesting advice on the Kolinsky sable. I will try this next time. I do love my Kolinsky's.  

4 hours ago, Niknak said:

I never thought of using the hair spray method for cockpits always dry brushed them.

I am usually happy with a silver pencil, dry brush, fine brush, or sponge as needed. I am still hunting for that technique that gives a nice transitional wear for a seat that has seen heavy use. @Jasper dog's advice is good and I think using the Tamiya flat acrylics might give a better representation of this effect. 

I use hair spray technique with caution as it easily over weathers, in my view, small scale aircraft cockpits. Better in the larger scales 1/32 or 1/24 and then always with reference to your subject material. 

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I go and do some painting in the man cave and you are half way finished with your 3rd build.

I am surprised myself how quickly these 109's are coming together. This kit is just such a nice build. The spinner replacement is not a bad option. We'll see what it looks like painted up.

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.

Ray

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 08/07/2021 at 17:18, Ray_W said:

Weathered the seat and still very difficult not to remove slab portions with hairspray technique. 

Hi Ray, regarding the hairspray chipping;  listened to the latest offering from the Sprue Cutters Union on this very subject. Apparently if you use Tamiya Lacquer thinner it produces much finer chips than any other thinner. Don't know if this is if any use but...

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

regarding the hairspray chipping;  listened to the latest offering from the Sprue Cutters Union on this very subject. Apparently if you use Tamiya Lacquer thinner it produces much finer chips than any other thinner. Don't know if this is if any use but...

Hi Darryl,

Thank you. That sounds like good advice. I will definitely give this a go. I thin almost always with Mr Color Leveling Thinner, although on this occasion I used Tamiya X-20A for a less aggressive solvent. Possibly the more aggressive solvent gives a better bond resulting in finer chips. I will try this next time. I do have Tamiya Lacquer Thinner (Retarder Type) I purchased when giving the new Tamiya lacquers a go (my preference always is to use the manufacturer's recommended thinners when trying a new paint). Did they make any mention of the specific Tamiya lacquer thinner and any comparison to Gunze products?

Ray

23 hours ago, Col. said:

You are, as always, making impressive progress with impressive results

Thanks Col.

A nice build. Going together very well. Looking forward to the painting stage. Very keen to do the OF markings and squiggle pattern.

Ray 

• Like 1